Genentech Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2014

3.5

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech in January 2014.

I applied online and 4 weeks later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was told at the end of the phone interview that I am invited for an on-site interview. I went to the on-site interview 1 month later. I met with 10 Scientists and gave a one hour seminar. Everyone was interested and asked a lot of questions during the seminar. The questions were fair and most of them were about my past work experience. They do tend to ask a lot about "why do you want to work there?". I got the feedback a month later and they gave me a reason that they are looking for certain skill sets, which I was not even being questioned or asked about during my interview. And the interesting thing was that the certain skill sets was clearly listed in my CV.

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Genentech.

1. Quick phone interview to see if I was interested
    2. Short interview where I had 3 1 hour meetings with people in the position I was applying for
    3. Long interview with 1 hr research presentation then 8 half hour meetings with members of Department and potential collaborators
    4. Request for references

Interview Questions
    • No hardballs, just pressed a lot on why I wanted to work there   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Genentech.

Very detailed and long interview process

Interview Questions
    • Interview seminar is an essential component and expect lots of questions from an open audience   Answer Question
    Dont open your cards too quickly, HR tends to push people down, HR will start the salary discussion at a very low level

Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Genentech in July 2013.

Long day, back to back interview. it is hard to know how the science is done from first impression though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Genentech.

phone interview-on site interview-reference check-background check

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Genentech in February 2013.

I was contacted by a Genentech recruiter because they were interested in my expertise that they saw detailed on Linked In. I then had a 1:1 phone interview with the hiring manager and at the end of the conversation he invited me out for an interview. In the morning I gave a presentation on my work at Merck and then spent the rest of the day interviewing with people in 30 min time slots. Most people asked about me and my experiences at Merck. At the end of the day the hiring manager told me that they really liked me and that I should be expecting to here something from them the following week.

Interview Questions
    • To go through my postdoctoral work on the total synthesis I worked on   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my signing bonus. They would not budge on my salary.

Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Genentech in January 2010.

it is very efficient.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Genentech in March 2010.

It was a 2-days f2f interview. Rather long. In general, interviewers were good. Biotech interview seems a bit disorganized. After the interview, communications were with HR. Asked for letters of recommendations (guess references not good enough). Tried to confirm with HR if they received the letters, never got response till 3 weeks later. Letters of recommendation were finally forwarded by HR to hiring group but they started a new round of interviews. Didn't get the offer. Overall, it took 7 weeks and it's a long-winded process.

Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Genentech in January 2010.

six interviews in all with three on site interviews with almost 20+ meetings and a presentation. the whole process dragged on for almost six months. at the end no offer with a lame excuse. the excuse they came up with did not make sense why they invited me back for 2 additional on site interviews. the questions asked were all quite general. not sure what they are looking for or if they have their act together for interviewing people.

Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Genentech in August 2008.

Applied directly on the web site and received an email from an HR respresentative asking to set up a phone interview.

Phone interview with HR was a standard behavioral interview consisting of "tell me about yourself, how do you deal with conflict, how do you work under pressure.... type questions".

Was next contacted by hiring manager in the scientific department who conducted a technical interview via telephone.

Finally, was invited for a face to face interview where I met with mutiple individuals (0.5 to 1 hour each) within the organization during a one-day on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you had an idea that would save time and increase revenue, how would you go about convincing senior management to implement your idea?   Answer Question

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!