Genentech

Updated Nov 16, 2014

3.2

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in November 2014.

I was contacted initially by an in house recruiter. Good conversations and email with him, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Flew to SF for full day interview with seminar. Talked with a dozen scientists an RAs of varying levels. All with good scientific and work related personnel questions. Day prior to the interview was taken on an area tour. This was time well spent as I was coming from outside the area. Fantastic group, great process, amazing science.

Happily, the whole process went very quickly with excellent communication during all phases. HR was working with many candidates so I was appreciative of the timely responses.

Interview Questions
  • Good questions about my past work, preferred working environment, management structure and style, how I fit into a group, and variation of these.   View Answer
This was a bit meh. With CA income tax a great offer turns into a merely good offer. But the relocation and other benefits made that good offer more attractive.

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

Interview was very thorough. Scientific talk followed by 1:1 meetings about science and career path. Interview went well, but I was disappointed how the post-interview process was handled and on the emphasis on references, instead of proven ability and productivity.

Senior Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in April 2014.

30-45 minute 1:1 interviews and 1 hour long presentation including Q and A. The interview was from 9-5. Everyone was very nice. There were some awkward moments when many of the would-be-future-coworkers were speaking to one another in a foreign language during the lunch interview. This happened again later during a 1:1 interview with a scientist. We were interrupted by one of his team members and they again spoke in a foreign language. Overall, the people were pleasant and I enjoyed the opportunity to interview onsite.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions regarding techniques that I knew. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

phone interview with recruiter and the hiring manager, then a full (9 to 5) day of interviews ( ~50 min per person) including one hour seminar

Interview Questions
    • none, but the day felt extremely long and I had trouble   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate up (additional~ 5%) based on my work experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Conducted a phone interview, ~1hr, with the hiring scientist about 2 months after applying on-line. Received notification same day that I was requested for an on-site interview which was completed the following week. The interview day was intense. First, started with another interview with the hiring scientist followed by my one hour seminar on my previous research. About 20-25 scientists from the department attended my talk and asked questions throughout the entire hour. I then had 12 other interviews throughout the day with research associates and scientists from the department. In all, the day lasted from 9AM to 6PM and I was beat by the end. Everyone was extremely nice and answered my questions as well. Didn't get an offer in the end, but felt lucky to even get one of the four interviews for the position after hundreds applied. It did take about 1 month after my on-site interview to hear that I did not get an offer - the process can be slow. Great learning experience and Genentech is a great company to do research at.

Interview Questions
    • Why apply for this position vs. doing an academic post-doc? They really emphasize that a SRA cannot advance to a scientist-level position in the company. If hired, you will remain at the lab bench and they want to be sure that candidates are well aware of this.   Answer Question
    • Giving certain resources, how would you go about identifying and validating a new cancer target?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

After an internal referral I had a phone screen by HR. This was followed by a phone screen with the hiring manager. Then I was asked to come in for a full day interview. After this I was asked to come back for ~1 hour to clarify some responses to HR and the hiring manager. A week or so later I received the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How many years will you commit to staying in this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Genentech in April 2012.

Overall interview experience was very positive. The administration was on top of things to make sure the recruits are happy while they are coming on-site for interview. The potential hiring manager made sure I was comfortable from the beginning. Interview was day long and I got very tired by the end of the day. Everyone was pretty nice except one person who tried to play good cop/bad cop role. Very relaxed atmosphere overall but, I was a little concerned that people were a little unhappy with the merger.

Interview Questions
    • How do you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in April 2011.

There was a phone interview first. After that I was invited to to give a brief presentation which was followed by about 6 individual interviews including the one with the hiring manager.
    I was flown to the site and stayed for 2 days. One day was devoted to me being driven around the SF peninsula to see the area.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a very specific question about a technique which most people say is possible to do easily.   View Answer
    No negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in November 2010.

very rigorous

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to take a SRA position when you are a PhD   Answer Question
    easy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech in November 2009.

I applied from Internet, and received a phone call from my hiring manager to discuss some technicals questions. She asked me for a onside interview right away and I flew in within 2 weeks for a very nice organized interview plus an extra day of seeing around the area. Genentech is a very generous company.