Genentech Senior Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was one full day, with a 45 minute interview with the hiring Scientist followed by a 1 hour job talk, followed by 13 additional 30 minute interviews throughout the day. The first half of 30 minute interviews were with other SRAs and these seemed to be intended to give the interviewee opportunities to ask questions about the position. There was a 1 hour lunch in Genentech's cafeteria (which was incredible!) with two additional SRAs, followed by the remaining 5 or so interviews being with Scientists/Senior Scientists, the Program Director, and a Senior Staff Consultant which was over the phone. Finally, there was an exit interview with the hiring Scientist which was a good opportunity to ask additional questions that might have been raised throughout the day. Overall, the questions were either scientific ones, or behavioral-type questions. They were very interested in why I wanted to work at Genentech, and wanted to be sure that I understood the pros and cons of the SRA position. I really enjoyed meeting with everyone- the vibe was generally very positive, and even when I was grilled on the science, I felt that it was done in a very collegial way.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you overcame an obstacle in your research? Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a peer or supervisor? Why do you want to work as an SRA?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Recommended to apply for this position. Had a phone interview for 30 min, and two weeks later had an informal interview with scientific manager. We talked for an hour, very comfortable, discussed my skill set and what I could bring to the position. Heard back by email two weeks later. Very nice interactions, would have liked to progress further. Genentech seems like a it is a very hardworking, fun and cutting edge environment.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why go into industry rather than academia? Q: Why Genentech? Q: What kind of managerial styles have you worked with?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with HR, then another phone interview with the hiring manager, then an in-person interview lasting 1 day. The in-person interview consisted of 30 minute long interviews with the hiring manager and other individuals within the department, both other SRAs and Senior Scientists. There was also a requirement to give a presentation on recent scientific work.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure that you are committed to doing bench research long-term?   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

First, phone interview with hiring manager then was chosen to on-site interview. Onsite interview took a whole day (9am to 5pm). 1-hour presentation/Q&A, 30-min interviews with various scientists, directors, and a HR, as well as your hiring manager, and 1-hour lunch break with SRA or post-doc. Intense process

Interview Questions

• Too many questions...but they did pay more attention on your scientific research and skill sets   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Thorough, intense, professional, friendly, with very high standards. They really try to understand who you are, what your motivation to work at Genentech is, if you have a balanced life, if you are willing to work hard, if you are skillful and knowledgable about your area of expertise, and what your charecter is like. I met with most Senior Scientists, and some SRAs. Arrived at 9 and left at 5pm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted initially by an in house recruiter. Good conversations and email with him, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Flew to SF for full day interview with seminar. Talked with a dozen scientists an RAs of varying levels. All with good scientific and work related personnel questions. Day prior to the interview was taken on an area tour. This was time well spent as I was coming from outside the area. Fantastic group, great process, amazing science. Happily, the whole process went very quickly with excellent communication during all phases. HR was working with many candidates so I was appreciative of the timely responses.

Interview Questions

• Good questions about my past work, preferred working environment, management structure and style, how I fit into a group, and variation of these.   1 Answer

Negotiation

This was a bit meh. With CA income tax a great offer turns into a merely good offer. But the relocation and other benefits made that good offer more attractive.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I went through a whole day interview and met one to one with scientists. everyone was friendly. They have very busy schedule. I had a very good tour around SF. I am sure they are doing great science.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Interview was very thorough. Scientific talk followed by 1:1 meetings about science and career path. Interview went well, but I was disappointed how the post-interview process was handled and on the emphasis on references, instead of proven ability and productivity.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in April 2014.

Interview

30-45 minute 1:1 interviews and 1 hour long presentation including Q and A. The interview was from 9-5. Everyone was very nice. There were some awkward moments when many of the would-be-future-coworkers were speaking to one another in a foreign language during the lunch interview. This happened again later during a 1:1 interview with a scientist. We were interrupted by one of his team members and they again spoke in a foreign language. Overall, the people were pleasant and I enjoyed the opportunity to interview onsite.

Interview Questions

• Many questions regarding techniques that I knew. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

phone interview with recruiter and the hiring manager, then a full (9 to 5) day of interviews ( ~50 min per person) including one hour seminar

Interview Questions

• none, but the day felt extremely long and I had trouble   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate up (additional~ 5%) based on my work experience