Genentech

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was very thorough. Scientific talk followed by 1:1 meetings about science and career path. Interview went well, but I was disappointed how the post-interview process was handled and on the emphasis on references, instead of proven ability and productivity.

Interview Question – Why did you chose this career path?   Answer Question

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Interview Details – Conducted a phone interview, ~1hr, with the hiring scientist about 2 months after applying on-line. Received notification same day that I was requested for an on-site interview which was completed the following week. The interview day was intense. First, started with another interview with the hiring scientist followed by my one hour seminar on my previous research. About 20-25 scientists from the department attended my talk and asked questions throughout the entire hour. I then had 12 other interviews throughout the day with research associates and scientists from the department. In all, the day lasted from 9AM to 6PM and I was beat by the end. Everyone was extremely nice and answered my questions as well. Didn't get an offer in the end, but felt lucky to even get one of the four interviews for the position after hundreds applied. It did take about 1 month after my on-site interview to hear that I did not get an offer - the process can be slow. Great learning experience and Genentech is a great company to do research at.

Interview Questions

• Why apply for this position vs. doing an academic post-doc? They really emphasize that a SRA cannot advance to a scientist-level position in the company. If hired, you will remain at the lab bench and they want to be sure that candidates are well aware of this.   Answer Question
  • Giving certain resources, how would you go about identifying and validating a new cancer target?   Answer Question

South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – phone interview with recruiter and the hiring manager, then a full (9 to 5) day of interviews ( ~50 min per person) including one hour seminar

Interview Question – none, but the day felt extremely long and I had trouble   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate up (additional~ 5%) based on my work experience

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Genentech in April 2011.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview first. After that I was invited to to give a brief presentation which was followed by about 6 individual interviews including the one with the hiring manager.
I was flown to the site and stayed for 2 days. One day was devoted to me being driven around the SF peninsula to see the area.

Interview Question – Was asked a very specific question about a technique which most people say is possible to do easily.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Genentech.

Interview Details – After an internal referral I had a phone screen by HR. This was followed by a phone screen with the hiring manager. Then I was asked to come in for a full day interview. After this I was asked to come back for ~1 hour to clarify some responses to HR and the hiring manager. A week or so later I received the offer.

Interview Question – How many years will you commit to staying in this position?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Genentech in July 2009.

Interview Details – They are very thorough, you should expect this from the best in the business.

Interview Question – I was asked to formulate a plan to purify a new biomarker given only a low affinity antibody.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation at this level for this company.

South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Genentech in November 2010.

Interview Details – very rigorous

Interview Question – why do you want to take a SRA position when you are a PhD   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – easy

Very Easy Interview

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Genentech in November 2009.

Interview Details – I applied from Internet, and received a phone call from my hiring manager to discuss some technicals questions. She asked me for a onside interview right away and I flew in within 2 weeks for a very nice organized interview plus an extra day of seeing around the area. Genentech is a very generous company.

South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Genentech in September 2008.

Interview Details – An initial phone interview with Director then usual full day 30minute block interview. An internal recommendation is the route to follow if available.

Negotiation Details – I was low-balled base salary + signing bonus and should have negotiated but not in my nature. I had targeted the company and was hopeful for fairness from the start. I would recommend negotiating.

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Genentech in April 2012.

Interview Details – Overall interview experience was very positive. The administration was on top of things to make sure the recruits are happy while they are coming on-site for interview. The potential hiring manager made sure I was comfortable from the beginning. Interview was day long and I got very tired by the end of the day. Everyone was pretty nice except one person who tried to play good cop/bad cop role. Very relaxed atmosphere overall but, I was a little concerned that people were a little unhappy with the merger.

Interview Question – How do you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10   View Answer

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!