Genentech Senior Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

3.2

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in April 2014.

30-45 minute 1:1 interviews and 1 hour long presentation including Q and A. The interview was from 9-5. Everyone was very nice. There were some awkward moments when many of the would-be-future-coworkers were speaking to one another in a foreign language during the lunch interview. This happened again later during a 1:1 interview with a scientist. We were interrupted by one of his team members and they again spoke in a foreign language. Overall, the people were pleasant and I enjoyed the opportunity to interview onsite.

Interview Questions
  • Many questions regarding techniques that I knew. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in May 2014.

Interview was very thorough. Scientific talk followed by 1:1 meetings about science and career path. Interview went well, but I was disappointed how the post-interview process was handled and on the emphasis on references, instead of proven ability and productivity.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in February 2014.

Conducted a phone interview, ~1hr, with the hiring scientist about 2 months after applying on-line. Received notification same day that I was requested for an on-site interview which was completed the following week. The interview day was intense. First, started with another interview with the hiring scientist followed by my one hour seminar on my previous research. About 20-25 scientists from the department attended my talk and asked questions throughout the entire hour. I then had 12 other interviews throughout the day with research associates and scientists from the department. In all, the day lasted from 9AM to 6PM and I was beat by the end. Everyone was extremely nice and answered my questions as well. Didn't get an offer in the end, but felt lucky to even get one of the four interviews for the position after hundreds applied. It did take about 1 month after my on-site interview to hear that I did not get an offer - the process can be slow. Great learning experience and Genentech is a great company to do research at.

Interview Questions
    • Why apply for this position vs. doing an academic post-doc? They really emphasize that a SRA cannot advance to a scientist-level position in the company. If hired, you will remain at the lab bench and they want to be sure that candidates are well aware of this.   Answer Question
    • Giving certain resources, how would you go about identifying and validating a new cancer target?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

phone interview with recruiter and the hiring manager, then a full (9 to 5) day of interviews ( ~50 min per person) including one hour seminar

Interview Questions
    • none, but the day felt extremely long and I had trouble   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate up (additional~ 5%) based on my work experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in April 2011.

There was a phone interview first. After that I was invited to to give a brief presentation which was followed by about 6 individual interviews including the one with the hiring manager.
    I was flown to the site and stayed for 2 days. One day was devoted to me being driven around the SF peninsula to see the area.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a very specific question about a technique which most people say is possible to do easily.   View Answer
    No negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

After an internal referral I had a phone screen by HR. This was followed by a phone screen with the hiring manager. Then I was asked to come in for a full day interview. After this I was asked to come back for ~1 hour to clarify some responses to HR and the hiring manager. A week or so later I received the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How many years will you commit to staying in this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech in July 2009.

They are very thorough, you should expect this from the best in the business.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to formulate a plan to purify a new biomarker given only a low affinity antibody.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation at this level for this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in November 2010.

very rigorous

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to take a SRA position when you are a PhD   Answer Question
    easy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech in November 2009.

I applied from Internet, and received a phone call from my hiring manager to discuss some technicals questions. She asked me for a onside interview right away and I flew in within 2 weeks for a very nice organized interview plus an extra day of seeing around the area. Genentech is a very generous company.

Senior Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

1 phone interview, 1 all day interview followed by relocation tour

Interview Questions
    Able to get a small increase in base salary, most significant movement was in relocation package.