Genentech

3.3

135 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech in October 2013.

The hiring supervisor called me for a half hour telephone interview first and asked typical introductory interview questions. No surprises. At the end before hanging up, she invited me for a series of in-person interviews. She wanted me to come the following Monday with a pool of other candidates, but I was unavailable, and we postponed it to the following Monday.
    The in-person interview was a series of five, half-hour, consecutive, one-on-one interviews (manager, two supervisors, two technical writers). One supervisor was out sick, so I needed to call that person when it was my turn to speak to her during that half hour time slot. I was with two other candidates in a round robin format. Although each interview was unique, many questions repeated themselves from one interviewer to the next (see sample questions below).
    I had a feeling I would not get the job when I said my good-bye to the supervisor at the reception area. I shook her hand and said, "We'll be in touch?" She said nothing in response, let go of my hand and walked away. Almost three weeks later, they never contacted me about the job either way.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Genentech.

Very detailed and long interview process

Interview Questions
    • Interview seminar is an essential component and expect lots of questions from an open audience   Answer Question
    Dont open your cards too quickly, HR tends to push people down, HR will start the salary discussion at a very low level

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

I applied through email listed on the site. I was contacted directly by manager within 2 weeks for a phone screen. Initial phone interview was very quick 20 minutes. Mostly background explanation and some questions about previous work. I think depending on where you get call from knowing in and out of the field whether you worked in there or not will help.

Interview Questions
    • First basics questions about why genentech and this program?
      Examples of leadership at work place
      explain your knowledge in protein chemistry.
      Explain your experience with process engineering

Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Most people are aware that Genentech is a tough place to get hired. They only hire talent they consider to be top-of-the-class. Be aware that they also do sham interviews. Apparently, to mine ideas and information from to-of-the class candidates. It seems terribly unethical and would be nearly impossible to prove.

Interview Questions
    • I was given many detailed technical problem scenarios and asked how to solve them. By all measures, they were not hypothetical. They were looking for creative solutions to existing problems.   View Answer

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Moved fast. There were 2 rounds of interviews with very senior members of management. Lots of though questions; all thoughtful and fair. There was genuine interested in understanding my experience and fit. I felt respected and fairly tested at the time.

Interview Questions
    Very straightforward. The offer was good from the get go. There was no need to negotiate the terms. The HR recruiter was very open and all details were very clear. No hidden surprises. The benefits were great, they offered me more than my previous salary and matched my stock benefits.

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

Tough to get in. 4 interviews .... phone, group + manager, director, HR...Waited 1-2 months before response.

Negotiate hard.

Competitive Intelligence Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech in August 2013.

The hiring process consisted of first speaking with an outside agency who is not a part of Genentech. It was a bit odd because it felt like talking to a computer recording instead of a person. I suspect that they receive so many resumes, that this is a way in which to cut down the group to a manageable size. With that said, it seemed very cold and impersonal. The next step was to speak with a manager who was a former Genentech employee. These two steps were done via phone. I'm assuming the next step is an on-site interview which I haven't gotten to yet.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very specific, wanting to have an example of when you did something that indicated you had a competency in a certain area. They also asked more general questions such as wanting to know a time when you had to make a quick decision with little data, etc.... Most all questions had that style and you need to answer them with the STAR format (situation, task, action, and result)   Answer Question

Biostatistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech in June 2013.

Applied online; phone interview about a month later; on-site interview a month after that.

Phone interview was fine. I was asked to describe my background, and then explain a couple of statistical concepts as if I were talking to a clinician with limited statistical knowledge.

On-site interview was a full day, with a presentation, and very long 1-hour meetings with other Biostats. We mostly discussed my background, and I was given a lot of time to ask my own questions. The presentation went very well, with a lot of good discussion. Everybody was very friendly, happy with their jobs, and seemed like they would be nice people to work with. The hiring manager was exceptionally easy to talk to and was more than willing to be honest with me about my weaknesses and my chances at being offered a position.

Overall I had a very positive impression of the company and the employees. My only complaint would be that the process is a bit slow, and that the finance department lost my receipts for reimbursement.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a confidence interval or a p-value to somebody who knows very little about statistics.   Answer Question

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech in May 2013.

Phone interview and onsite interview with 4-5 employees (directors and scientists). A wide variety of questions regarding background and knowledge of literature search and critical evaluation, personality type and how you'd fit in a team, how you handle stress and balance multi-tasking, examples of your creative ability, and short/long term goals.

Interview Questions
    • When you worked with someone you didn't get along with or disliked and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    several days. negotiation should be done delicately and with recognition that this is a great company to work for and many opportunities beyond monetary compensation.

QC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech.

Interviewed by 3 groups. Straightfoward questions mostly. Be friendly and confidant. Was contacted a few days after interview process. Here are some sample questions:

Why you want to work here?
    What lab experience do you have?
    What did you learn from your last job?
    How do you handle conflict?
    Do you like working alone or in a team? (there is a right answer to this).

Interview Questions
    • What is your weakness? It was difficult because they made me answer this 3 times and wanted an "interesting" answer each time.   Answer Question