General Atomics Aeronautical Systems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Test and Qualification Engineer Interview

Systems Test and Qualification Engineer
Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – Was brought in to interview as part of a mass-interview weekend event. Did a rotation through 3 1-on-1 interviews which all felt rushed as they were trying to keep to the schedule. Do not think it lasted more than an hour total. It seemed like it was the first time 2 of the interviews had even seen my resume. All three had different interview styles.

First: Questioned experience and relevancy to the position, slow questions.
Second: On point, rapid fire questions picking apart the resume.
Third: General experience & Conversation.

Interview Question – Was asked to describe, in detail, the functionality of a common avionics data bus.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in April 2014.

Interview Details – Telephone interview followed by an in person interview. The interviewers were very friendly and put me right at ease. The questions were not what I expected but also not so hard as to be unanswerable.

Interview Question – How would you handle a sexual assault situation?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineering Interview

Manufacturing Engineering
Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview Detail: Applied for the job that was posted in February, 2014. HR contacted me for onsite interview to have a panel of interviewers. The position was still listed for couple of days prior to my interview date. I checked it again on my interview date and the position was not listed. Interviewers were late for 15 minutes. No big deal. They asked me bunch of technical and behavior questions and answered them all with ease. They keep grilling me on my 14 years work history. Most of them are short term contract works. I felt they were giving me the run around and already made their decisions.

Interview Question – How you certified Lean Six Sigma? No, I don't any formal training in the Lean Principle, but I have used it on my last three jobs.   Answer Question

Aircraft Planning and Documentaion Interview

Aircraft Planning and Documentaion

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – My process from start to finish took about 8 months. The HR recruiter seemed over worked and was extremely hard to get a hold of. I had more luck contacting my supervisor to be. Things should be better now but don't expect to much. They did offer a relocation assistance package which really helped so that is a plus and something to ask about.

Interview Question – I wouldn't expect anything outside the generic HR questions. Do a google search and just reference some Q&A there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing I was basically told take it or leave it.

Staff Engineer Interview

Staff Engineer
Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through the company website for an engineering position and was contacted by a hiring manager a week later. I received a phone call at home in the evening and we chatted a bit on the skills listed in my resume. He said he would get with HR to coordinate a trip out there the following week for a job fair on their campus. HR moved quickly within a couple of days to schedule the trip. HR also set up an additional position interview with one of the other programs there so I was just expecting two interviews. I asked the HR rep on the phone about the interview format which they replied there would be two panels. They didn't know much about the positions advertised though.

I studied up on the company, products, and customers that would help in what questions I would ask and answer. I expected to be there only a couple of hours but stayed over four hours. The first two screening interviews were panel interviews with four managers each. As it turned out they were competing programs and talked a lot about their programs and asked general questions. There were a couple of situational questions and a lot of questions on my experience. All the discussions were very friendly. These folks would have been my direct managers for either position offered. They answered my questions just fine but there wasn't enough time all my questions. They seemed to appreciate the challenging questions I presented to them. The responsibilities described by each sounded challenging and interesting as they were revealed during the discussions.

They kept moving me around to additional interviews up the chain of command. Everyone there seems very nice and personable including HR escorting us around. Both programs seems quite interested in the capabilities I would bring to their organization so that was very positive. Both indicated they were short handed which was a concern.

The buildings looked very new and the inside layout was typical of other engineering facilities. There was no opportunity to see the rest of the facilities or talk with potential co-workers as the event was on a Saturday. Based on the brief interaction we had a good rapport and I thought the company culture would be fine and typical of other engineering companies of that size. I had to fly home that afternoon so I didn't have any time to see the area.

Another manager called me a few days later to further discuss which of the two programs I would prefer so I knew that both groups were interested in extending an offer. HR contacted me the next day with an offer with a small bump from my previous position and a generous relocation package. There was no negotiation on the starting salary.

Interview Question – While discussing any past experiences and knowledge they would consistently dive deeper to see how much I really knew.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – This was a very difficult decision but I had a competing offer that I felt was a better fit overall.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Poway, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in February 2014.

Interview Details – HR process slower than Vermont Maple Syrup in Jan. HR rep tried like the dickens to lowball salary expectation out of the chocks during first phone interview. 'Reduced expectations' commensurate with my experience with HR Dept: the initial HR 'greeter' had no idea why I was there, and after finally figuring out who I was supposed to meet, I got to sit for 20 minutes past interview slot waiting for HR rep who told me, "Sorry, I was on a phone call".

HR will send out 'ref requests' with a 'cover letter' to the recipients signed on your behalf. Not that I mind a letter going to my refs, but if I didn't write it, it shouldn't have my name on it...it is a 'cheesy' letter to boot.

I hope the Predator can make time on target better than the 'first impression crew' at GA.

(they failed their interview)

Interview Question – very standard HR questions ("Why do you want to work here?")   Answer Question

Avionics Technician II Interview

Avionics Technician II
Palmdale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in November 2013.

Interview Details – It was a rather standard interview. Applied and got a call from HR couple of weeks later. Basically I was told the process would have several steps. The first was an online test. The test covered basic electronic theory, general aircraft, and basic math. You are told not to look anything up while you do the test which is important. The second part was a phone interview with HR. They asked standard questions. Why this job, tell me about such and such system, have you used tech manuals....etc.

After the phone interview I was contact by HR again about coming in for an interview. I let them know when i was available and they set everything up. GA-ASI paid for the plane, hotel, rental car, and also a per diem for each day.

The on site interview process is a bit lengthy. Mine was from 7 am to around lunch. You check in and go to HR first thing. While there you are handed a packet about GA-ASI with various information (benefits are really nice) and you speak with the HR person while they get a feel for you. After a couple minutes of that you will be given another test that has the same types of things as the online test. This is to make sure you didnt cheat on the online part. You MUST pass this test in order to proceed with the rest of the interview process.

The test is reviewed by the actual hiring authority and you are told go or no go. If you pass the test they will walk you to the next part of the test. The next test is simply a install of a dummy part and ops check where you follow a tech manual. If you have worked on any aircraft this part is easy. The hardest part is wondering if things like not having a station to break your torque wrench is an oversight or they want to see if you know to do it.

If you pass this the next step is the interview with the hiring authority. During this he brought in another person so it was two people. The interview was very regimented. They had a couple of sheets of questions and asked questions from the sheet. Questions were things like, describe a time you had to do something where you were being told to do something but you know you shouldnt, tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co worker and how did you resolve it.

I did not get a job offer, afterwords I was escorted back to HR and then left. A weekish later I got an email telling me I was not selected.

Interview Question – What conflict did you have with a coworker and how did you resolve it   Answer Question

Human Resources/General Atomics Interview

Human Resources/General Atomics
San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in April 2013.

Interview Details – Stuck on what they want to hear. Nice company and place to work. Tough to get in.

Interview Question – It was straight forward. They did not hear true answers however.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Quality Engineer
Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – Online application, called a month later. Interview with the HR Rep, which was easy and went well. Interview with Manager and Peer from group. Much more detailed, but also went well.

Interview Question – Lots of GD&T questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You take what they offer

Systems Engineer I Interview

Systems Engineer I
San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online - about 3 months later, was contacted to set up a telephone interview. Just went through resume and asked questions about it, and seeing how it would fit with the job description

Interview Question – no unexpected questions - just know your resume   Answer Question

Worked for General Atomics Aeronautical Systems? Contribute to the Community!