General Atomics Aeronautical Systems

Very Easy Interview

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Poway, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in February 2014.

Interview Details – HR process slower than Vermont Maple Syrup in Jan. HR rep tried like the dickens to lowball salary expectation out of the chocks during first phone interview. 'Reduced expectations' commensurate with my experience with HR Dept: the initial HR 'greeter' had no idea why I was there, and after finally figuring out who I was supposed to meet, I got to sit for 20 minutes past interview slot waiting for HR rep who told me, "Sorry, I was on a phone call".

HR will send out 'ref requests' with a 'cover letter' to the recipients signed on your behalf. Not that I mind a letter going to my refs, but if I didn't write it, it shouldn't have my name on it...it is a 'cheesy' letter to boot.

I hope the Predator can make time on target better than the 'first impression crew' at GA.

(they failed their interview)

Interview Question – very standard HR questions ("Why do you want to work here?")   Answer Question

Avionics Technician II Interview

Avionics Technician II
Palmdale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in November 2013.

Interview Details – It was a rather standard interview. Applied and got a call from HR couple of weeks later. Basically I was told the process would have several steps. The first was an online test. The test covered basic electronic theory, general aircraft, and basic math. You are told not to look anything up while you do the test which is important. The second part was a phone interview with HR. They asked standard questions. Why this job, tell me about such and such system, have you used tech manuals....etc.

After the phone interview I was contact by HR again about coming in for an interview. I let them know when i was available and they set everything up. GA-ASI paid for the plane, hotel, rental car, and also a per diem for each day.

The on site interview process is a bit lengthy. Mine was from 7 am to around lunch. You check in and go to HR first thing. While there you are handed a packet about GA-ASI with various information (benefits are really nice) and you speak with the HR person while they get a feel for you. After a couple minutes of that you will be given another test that has the same types of things as the online test. This is to make sure you didnt cheat on the online part. You MUST pass this test in order to proceed with the rest of the interview process.

The test is reviewed by the actual hiring authority and you are told go or no go. If you pass the test they will walk you to the next part of the test. The next test is simply a install of a dummy part and ops check where you follow a tech manual. If you have worked on any aircraft this part is easy. The hardest part is wondering if things like not having a station to break your torque wrench is an oversight or they want to see if you know to do it.

If you pass this the next step is the interview with the hiring authority. During this he brought in another person so it was two people. The interview was very regimented. They had a couple of sheets of questions and asked questions from the sheet. Questions were things like, describe a time you had to do something where you were being told to do something but you know you shouldnt, tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co worker and how did you resolve it.

I did not get a job offer, afterwords I was escorted back to HR and then left. A weekish later I got an email telling me I was not selected.

Interview Question – What conflict did you have with a coworker and how did you resolve it   Answer Question

Human Resources/General Atomics Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in April 2013.

Interview Details – Stuck on what they want to hear. Nice company and place to work. Tough to get in.

Interview Question – It was straight forward. They did not hear true answers however.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality Engineer Interview

Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – Online application, called a month later. Interview with the HR Rep, which was easy and went well. Interview with Manager and Peer from group. Much more detailed, but also went well.

Interview Question – Lots of GD&T questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You take what they offer

Very Easy Interview

Systems Engineer I Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online - about 3 months later, was contacted to set up a telephone interview. Just went through resume and asked questions about it, and seeing how it would fit with the job description

Interview Question – no unexpected questions - just know your resume   Answer Question

A&P Technician Interview

A&P Technician

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – Was indepth.

Interview Question – None. Be honest.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered. I accepted.

Field Avionics Technician Interview

Field Avionics Technician
Palmdale, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in January 2010.

Interview Details – GA in-house recruiter contacted me based on my resume, which was posted online. I took a 10 question skills test (online) which I had one hour to complete. I was then given a phone interview after which I was invited to their facility for a face-to-face interview, which was at 7AM - a little early in my opinion. The interview was around 4 hours long, during which I was grilled in-depth about technical issues, fair enough. At the end I was offered a job for a sub-standard wage, but with a promise of the ability to make much much more by deploying to war zone areas.

Interview Question – Why do I seem hostile?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated for a non-deploying position

Pricing Analyst Interview

Poway, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in December 2012.

Interview Details – There are single interviews and panel interviews. I have always felt at ease during the interview process here.

Interview Question – Discribe a challenging workplace scenario and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A challenge.

Intern Interview

Poway, CA

I applied online and interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – Received an initial phone screening with basic questions regarding interest and availability. This was followed by a video interview about three weeks later with three engineers who asked mostly behavioral questions and probed projects listed on my resume. Received a call later that day saying they wanted to move forward in extending me an offer. Took a drug test and passed a background check before official offer was extended.

Interview Question – General behavioral questions   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – I applied through their online job site. About 1.5 months later, I received a phone call to schedule an initial phone screening from an HR recruiter. The phone screening was mostly about my experience and general qualifications, nothing too difficult. After the phone screening, I was invited for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview consisted of 1 interview with the HR recruiter, 1 interview with a prospective team member or supervisor, and then 1 interview with the hiring manager. Again, the the interviews were mostly about my experience. They didn't quiz me on engineering equations or give me a creative thinking question like some companies like to do. The position I was interviewing for involved a lot of interaction with different groups. Because of that, I talked about my philosophy on cooperation and workplace interaction. What I said seemed to resonate with the hiring manager.

The day after, I was called and conditionally offered the job. GA then required me to submit 5 references, with at least 2 being a supervisor/manager. I also had to take a drug screening test. After submitting all of the necessary references and passing the screening, I was fully offered the job. This secondary process took about 2 weeks.

Tips for future applicants:
If you currently have a job, make sure to be on good terms with your supervisors and coworkers, you'll need 5 of them to submit reference letters, which is a lot. Most places only require 1-3 references.

Interview Question – There was no particularly difficult question. Just make sure to highlight how your experience, personality, work philosophy, goals, and education is relevant to the job.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems

Worked for General Atomics Aeronautical Systems? Contribute to the Community!

General Atomics Aeronautical Systems – Why Work for Us?

The business of General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI) is the development of transformational technologies that deliver paradigm-changing results. An affiliate of privately-held General Atomics, GA-ASI is a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems interview questions and advice. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems employees and interview candidates.