General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.7

Project Engineer Interview

Interview process started with a phone screening. Fairly standard format of resume walk through and what my interests are. On site interview was also fairly straight forward with questions about positions held on resume and walk through of Project Engineer role. The interview process consisted of phone screen plus the on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic interview questions. Why General Atomics? Questions about job transitions, etc.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online and got a call within a month. I was set up for a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy. It seemed like they already kn ew they were going to hire me due to my resume.

Department Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in August 2014.

Applied on line. Was contacted by HR 5 days later to schedule a phone screen with Recruiter.Was told by her that she sends all feed back from candidates to Hiring manager, and its up to the mgr to decide if they want a face to face interview., If hired,will have to go through security clearance ( fingerprints ) which can take 5 to 6 weeks to get back, plus would be required to pass a drug screen.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you made a mistake at work, what happened and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Applied online and received a response for a follow up phone interview next day. The interview was short and very rushed. I felt like they were just going through the motions and had already selected someone for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Experience as it relates to this position in 2 minutes   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in July 2014.

I initially almost declined the interview because HR wanted me to provided 5 references to fill out a lengthy survey about me within 24 hours. I felt like this was kind of ridiculous considering I hadn't had the interview to see if the job was a good fit. It found it off-putting. I was able to get 5 references _ 2 have to be current or past supervisors. It was a headache for these high-level managers to fill out the survey which included 2 essay questions within 24 hours.

The interview was a panel of 3 men. One was the office mgr, a retired Army COL. The other two were project managers. They were friendly enough. One said "the person who WINS this position will..." which I found to be a red flag, considering I feel like the interview is as much about me seeing if I want to work for a company as it is about them selecting me. I feel any quality employee with self-esteem would feel this way. The interview had a slight flavor of wanting me to grovel for a job.

Anyway, the main interviewer wasn't hostile, but asked questions in a rapid fire manner and always had a sort of "prove it" follow up question. By about halfway through the interview I had decided I didn't want to work there. I had several opportunities on the table, as do most engineers in this town who are good at what they do. The travel requirements pretty much sealed it for me that I wasn't going to be interested. I made it pretty clear at the time the level of travel required would be a problem for me.

Also, when I asked the main interviewer when they would be making a decision, he said 5 weeks in the future. So, they expect a candidate to get 5 reference surveys completed within 24 hours and they aren't making a decision for over a month?? They were currently funded, btw.

I don't think they will get quality people working for them if they treat candidates this way. They will find people, but not the best people. This manner of interviewing will weed out the best people. Also, please refer to the completely inappropriate nature of the questions below. Enough said. Amazing. Dodged a bullet!

Interview Questions
    • "This is a position where you will be the ONLY FEMALE, is that a problem for you? I mean, it's really a boy's club, will that be a problem for you? What I'm saying is that you will DEFINITELY BE THE ONLY WOMAN when you work this position, would that be a problem for you?"   View Answer

Systems Test and Qualification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Was brought in to interview as part of a mass-interview weekend event. Did a rotation through 3 1-on-1 interviews which all felt rushed as they were trying to keep to the schedule. Do not think it lasted more than an hour total. It seemed like it was the first time 2 of the interviews had even seen my resume. All three had different interview styles.

First: Questioned experience and relevancy to the position, slow questions.
    Second: On point, rapid fire questions picking apart the resume.
    Third: General experience & Conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to describe, in detail, the functionality of a common avionics data bus.   Answer Question

Aircraft Planning and Documentaion Interview

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

My process from start to finish took about 8 months. The HR recruiter seemed over worked and was extremely hard to get a hold of. I had more luck contacting my supervisor to be. Things should be better now but don't expect to much. They did offer a relocation assistance package which really helped so that is a plus and something to ask about.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't expect anything outside the generic HR questions. Do a google search and just reference some Q&A there.   Answer Question
    Nothing I was basically told take it or leave it.

Manufacturing Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in May 2014.

Interview Detail: Applied for the job that was posted in February, 2014. HR contacted me for onsite interview to have a panel of interviewers. The position was still listed for couple of days prior to my interview date. I checked it again on my interview date and the position was not listed. Interviewers were late for 15 minutes. No big deal. They asked me bunch of technical and behavior questions and answered them all with ease. They keep grilling me on my 14 years work history. Most of them are short term contract works. I felt they were giving me the run around and already made their decisions.

Interview Questions
    • How you certified Lean Six Sigma? No, I don't any formal training in the Lean Principle, but I have used it on my last three jobs.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in April 2014.

Telephone interview followed by an in person interview. The interviewers were very friendly and put me right at ease. The questions were not what I expected but also not so hard as to be unanswerable.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in March 2014.

I applied through the company website for an engineering position and was contacted by a hiring manager a week later. I received a phone call at home in the evening and we chatted a bit on the skills listed in my resume. He said he would get with HR to coordinate a trip out there the following week for a job fair on their campus. HR moved quickly within a couple of days to schedule the trip. HR also set up an additional position interview with one of the other programs there so I was just expecting two interviews. I asked the HR rep on the phone about the interview format which they replied there would be two panels. They didn't know much about the positions advertised though.

I studied up on the company, products, and customers that would help in what questions I would ask and answer. I expected to be there only a couple of hours but stayed over four hours. The first two screening interviews were panel interviews with four managers each. As it turned out they were competing programs and talked a lot about their programs and asked general questions. There were a couple of situational questions and a lot of questions on my experience. All the discussions were very friendly. These folks would have been my direct managers for either position offered. They answered my questions just fine but there wasn't enough time all my questions. They seemed to appreciate the challenging questions I presented to them. The responsibilities described by each sounded challenging and interesting as they were revealed during the discussions.

They kept moving me around to additional interviews up the chain of command. Everyone there seems very nice and personable including HR escorting us around. Both programs seems quite interested in the capabilities I would bring to their organization so that was very positive. Both indicated they were short handed which was a concern.

The buildings looked very new and the inside layout was typical of other engineering facilities. There was no opportunity to see the rest of the facilities or talk with potential co-workers as the event was on a Saturday. Based on the brief interaction we had a good rapport and I thought the company culture would be fine and typical of other engineering companies of that size. I had to fly home that afternoon so I didn't have any time to see the area.

Another manager called me a few days later to further discuss which of the two programs I would prefer so I knew that both groups were interested in extending an offer. HR contacted me the next day with an offer with a small bump from my previous position and a generous relocation package. There was no negotiation on the starting salary.

Interview Questions
    • While discussing any past experiences and knowledge they would consistently dive deeper to see how much I really knew.   View Answer

This was a very difficult decision but I had a competing offer that I felt was a better fit overall.

Worked for General Atomics Aeronautical Systems? Contribute to the Community!