General Atomics Aeronautical Systems

Getting the Interview

45 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

MID LEVEL UAV SYSTEMS SPECIALIST Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview for a position I did not apply for. I assume my resume was seen by a hiring recruiter and passed along.

Interview Question – Tell us why you want to be Technical Writer?   View Answer

Graphic Illustrator Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in December 2009.

Interview Details – Very systematic, overall pleasant.

Interview Question – Is there anything in your past that would keep you from obtaining a security clearance (seems like a very loaded question.)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked me what my ideal starting salary would be, then gave it to me.

Engineer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – Meet with HR, then meet with department manager. Manager ask about background then proceeds to ask a serious of technical questions. Some required reciting equations. Some are basic concepts related to engineering. Then meet with potential lead who proceeded to ask similar questions.

FYI, this has changed and is now a panel interview.

Interview Question – None of the ones I was asked were unexpected or particularly unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. HR called, offered me the job at a certain salary and I took it.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in July 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was long and unorganized. GA was in between systems and my application never made it through to HR and it was a long process. i had to print it out and email it to HR but they wanted me to input it again online. Before I even received an offer, I had to get a background check and references where emails were sent to my previous managers to fill out. This was very invasive considering I had not been offered a position yet. I interviewed with three guys at once. The questions were very thorough and lots of technical questions. There was a tour and final follow up with HR. They asked me about my requested salary and implied that they would not just let me know what the salary was for the position but that they would not offer me the job if they could not meet my salary minimum. After all of that, they never even responded to my request about a decision. 6 months later, I contacted them and they said they had a new hiring manager and the position was still open. I believe the person they selected turned them down after the salary negotiations. I went in for a second time. I blew through the interview until the new hiring manager came in 10 minutes late to say that he couldnt make it and would be back. Then he cam ein at the end and told me that he was concerned about my number of jobs even though he knew I was a contractor until now and was looking for a direct position. After asking me to explain every job transition over the past 17 years, he blew me off and rudely thanked me for coming. It was a very unpleasant experience. I left and never bothered to check on the position. Ofcourse I never heard back from HR even after the 2nd interview. It seemed as though there were some political battles within the management.

Interview Question – Questions about Six Sigma, lean methods. I have not had any formal training in this area.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Interview Details – Applied online, in-person interview with HR then panel interview right after. Took 1 week after applying to set up interview.

Interview Question – Behavioral   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Poway, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in April 2009.

Interview Details – As soon as I heard I had an interview, a friend that works their said I was hired as long as I don't do something crazy at the interview. He was right fastest easiest interview ever.

Interview Question – Where do you expect to be in five years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, they said take what I am offered or find another job. Really!

Engineer V/High Powered Laser Engineer Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was very put off by the whole process, especially how some of the people during the in-person interviews were rude and/or arrogant. The process took about 5 months from first applying to finally getting an automated email informing me that I had not been given the job more than a month after they flew me out for the in-person interviews.

The process was:
     - HR called to tell me more about the job, benefits, ask some questions and verify that I was still interested in the position
     - Telephone interview with PM, which went okay.
     - Telephone interview with Division Director, which also went okay so he invited me out for the in-person interviews
     - Flew me out for the in person interviews. Spoke with 7 people (mostly 1-on-1, but 2 pairs) over the course of a morning. Each of the 5 sessions was about 45 minutes long.

Besides not getting the job, other disappointments were:
     1. demanded that I provide them with 3 - 5 references before I come out for the interview. Usually, this is the last thing, when they just want to check on character, verify job history, etc. before making an offer. It's not necessarily easy to expect people to repeatedly take time out from their own busy lives and do references. Also considering I have a TS level clearance, this was an unnecessary imposition.
     2. Disregarded and even cast in a negative fashion the fact that I have worked overseas twice in Afghanistan. Too much concern about my job history, when I am just trying to find a good technically challenging, hands-on job. I wonder how they would treat a veteran.

Even if I had gotten the job I would have been less than happy with how they conducted their hiring process.

Interview Question – Nothing really too technically difficult. Mainly went over my job history.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Rancho Bernardo, CA

I applied online - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in March 2013.

Interview Details – Quick, friendly and comfortable the interview process was well like a well oiled machine. Every thing went smoothly .fist a quick phone interview then a group panel interview which is onsite and the people were easy going, and with a good sense of humor, I think i did very well at the interview and answered all the easy questions

Interview Question – Difference between C++ and JAva   Answer Question

Intern III Interview

Intern III

Interview Details – Applied online for internship position. Was contacted actually month later by HR requesting interview. Had a roughly 45 minute webcam interview with 3 employees. Overall experience was good had some technical questions but nothing extremely hard.

Interview Question – How can you tell the angle between hands of analog clock if currently 3:15   Answer Question

Software Developer II Interview

Software Developer II
Poway, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in January 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview with random technical questions. In person interview with more random technical questions, and a code test. From day one of turning in my resume, to getting an offer, it probably took about 4 months. It definitely was not a fast process, and I was left wondering what was going on for quite a while.

Interview Question – Coming out of college the code test was unexpected because you don't really learn what it was asking in school, but people who had some experience in the field think it is easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. I've heard GA doesn't like to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems