General Atomics Aeronautical Systems

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.8

Intern III Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

Applied online for internship position. Was contacted actually month later by HR requesting interview. Had a roughly 45 minute webcam interview with 3 employees. Overall experience was good had some technical questions but nothing extremely hard.

Interview Questions
    • How can you tell the angle between hands of analog clock if currently 3:15   Answer Question

Human Resources/General Atomics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in April 2013.

Stuck on what they want to hear. Nice company and place to work. Tough to get in.

Interview Questions
    • It was straight forward. They did not hear true answers however.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

It was a phone/video interview with a panel of three interviewers. One walked in late. They asked me to tell them about myself and then proceeded with the technical questions. They had a packet of programming questions that they asked me. One lady just kept asking questions and moving the interview along; after I provided an answer, she would ask me to give an example (i.e. What is inheritance and when/how would you use it?)

Interview Questions
    • If you have an analog clock at time 3:15, what is the angle in between the minute and the hour hands?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in March 2013.

Quick, friendly and comfortable the interview process was well like a well oiled machine. Every thing went smoothly .fist a quick phone interview then a group panel interview which is onsite and the people were easy going, and with a good sense of humor, I think i did very well at the interview and answered all the easy questions

Engineer V/High Powered Laser Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in March 2013.

I was very put off by the whole process, especially how some of the people during the in-person interviews were rude and/or arrogant. The process took about 5 months from first applying to finally getting an automated email informing me that I had not been given the job more than a month after they flew me out for the in-person interviews.

The process was:
         - HR called to tell me more about the job, benefits, ask some questions and verify that I was still interested in the position
         - Telephone interview with PM, which went okay.
         - Telephone interview with Division Director, which also went okay so he invited me out for the in-person interviews
         - Flew me out for the in person interviews. Spoke with 7 people (mostly 1-on-1, but 2 pairs) over the course of a morning. Each of the 5 sessions was about 45 minutes long.

Besides not getting the job, other disappointments were:
         1. demanded that I provide them with 3 - 5 references before I come out for the interview. Usually, this is the last thing, when they just want to check on character, verify job history, etc. before making an offer. It's not necessarily easy to expect people to repeatedly take time out from their own busy lives and do references. Also considering I have a TS level clearance, this was an unnecessary imposition.
         2. Disregarded and even cast in a negative fashion the fact that I have worked overseas twice in Afghanistan. Too much concern about my job history, when I am just trying to find a good technically challenging, hands-on job. I wonder how they would treat a veteran.

Even if I had gotten the job I would have been less than happy with how they conducted their hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really too technically difficult. Mainly went over my job history.   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in December 2012.

There are single interviews and panel interviews. I have always felt at ease during the interview process here.

Interview Questions
    • Discribe a challenging workplace scenario and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    A challenge.

Engineer VI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in September 2012.

Found out about the job through an ad. Interview process is quite thorough. Future boss, his boss, her boss (VP level). Ended with a panel of 4 firing questions. Everything from theoretical management issues, to very technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • I can't get to specific. But when asked a technical question, keep in mind the position you are interviewing for and think through the answer using the skills you would expected to have for that particular job.   Answer Question
    They will try to get you for as cheap as they can.

Software Developer VII Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in June 2012.

The phone interview is just a general overall picture of what is coming for the (a)1:1 interview. At (a) you go thrugh different offices explaining about experience and personality, I guess this is where they find you if you are fit or not. The nature of the work gives the entire interview process a chill-inelastic sense of comfort. It is very easy to determine the company's culture by the interview process. Lastly, you will get a skill-process-oriented-weed-out "practice" exercise. The practice exercise consists of passing values through functions and displaying the output.

Technical Writer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in May 2012.

Be ready! Very lengthy interview. My interview was over 4 hours. Panel interview, technical interview, one-on-one interview with the Director. These people know there stuff so don't try to blow smoke.

Interview Questions
    • You are required to present a system of your choice in full detail and technical jargon.   Answer Question
    • They will ask you to explain bullets on your resume in detail.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Technical Writer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in April 2012.

Though the actual onsite interview was 1 day, the interview process also included a phone interview with 3 guys at the other end (telecon) and 2 subsequent individual phone interviews. It was 2 1/2 weeks between the phone and onsite interviews. The phone interview consisted of typical interview type questions. The onsite interview was 4.5 hours, from 11:30 am to about 4 pm. I naively thought I'd be treated to lunch, but that didn't happen. TIP: It is suggested that candidates eat something just prior to the interview to avoid fading later like I did. The interview agenda started with a meeting with an HR person. This was followed by a tour of the expansive plant by one guy from the technical writing team, and then an interview meeting with a panel of 4 guys from the team. There was an Alpha male (AM) who did most of the talking. AM informed me that writers go to Palmdale/Lancaster (flight testing operations) for days at a time and asked if that would be an issue...I said "no". AM also asked me to draw on the whiteboard a PNP and NPN transistor and an OR gate. AM also asked me to describe the amplifying operation of the transistor. AM also asked insightful questions that included the following: What would you do if you won the lottery? What is the most Out-Of-Box thing you did at work? Following the panel discussion, I was lead to AM's office where I was asked to write a troubleshooting procedure for a inoperative wing strobe light (I was provided with a diagram of the system, and a paper pad and pencil). Also on the agenda was a 1:1 interview with what I believe to be the department head, but he was out...so I was then sent home. In my opinion the whole process was a bit of an ordeal.