General Atomics

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview Details – Called me in for an interview. There was no phone interview, which was odd. I don't want to say what kind of engineer since i am not sure yet if they are going to make an offer.
I first went to the HR building which was down the street from the building i would be working at. Talked to the HR lady who was about 10 minutes late. She spent the whole time about how wonderful it was to work there and that no one has been laid off ever and how excellent this guy was that was going to be interviewing me, and how great the benefits are etc.
SHe asked what I was making and i told her, and her first question after that was "If we were to offer you that, would you take it?"

I explained that I have an offer pending from another company so it would have to depend on what that other offer was. These people will clearly try to lowball me if they were to make an offer.

Then i got to get back into my car and drive to the other building which was about a mile away. Some lady met me up front and took me to a conference room, gave me a written test to fill out, came back in an hour and picked it up.
5 minutes later a guy who i am assuming was a senior engineer walks in and proceeds to tell me in great detail what the questions on the test that i got wrong were, and basically seemed like his main point was to prove how smart he was. He didn't seem at all interested in my experience or what I had to say.
Asked me some other questions and went on his way. I did pretty darn good on the quiz, i got 16 right out of 19.

i waited about 20 minutes alone in the room twiddling my thumbs and eventually another older gentleman walks in and asks me some other questions about what i worked on and completely was apparent he was reading my resume for the first time. On his way out he gets my name wrong.

10 minutes later, the woman who escorted me walks in and tells me that the other guys who were going to interview me had to go to a meeting, and that I was done for the day.

Never heard back from them until I got an offer from another company and let GA know that i got an offer and wanted to give them a chance, but they said "it was a tough decision but we decided to move forward with another candidate".
Hmm, k , suit yourself.

A simple phone interview could have prevented me from wasting my time.

Interview Question – SOme op amp circuit that you learn in college and quickly forget   View Answer

Poway, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at General Atomics in February 2012.

Interview Details – Spoke to an HR person who basically went over my resume to make sure everything was correct. Talked a lot about the culture of the company. Asked if I had any questions. Asked what my schedule was like to arrange a follow up interview on-site but never heard back from her.

Interview Question – What made you interested in working here?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at General Atomics in January 2011.

Interview Details – I got a phone call from an HR guy, he said the engineering manager wanted to do a phone screening interview. He had to reschedule once, but then called. It was awkward, and he was very much to the point. He didn't care about me, just wanted to know my experience, and seemed to try to find holes in my statements. He was very specific, and didn't put up with anything. He probably gets what he wants which is why he is where he is.

Interview Question – He wanted to know about a specific thing I had listed on my resume which turned into a half dozen followup questions.   Answer Question

Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Atomics in October 2010.

Interview Details – I had a group interview. It was not a structured interview like a lot of the big companies have now. It was with the group I'd be working with, which was nice. They were very open and forthright. Interview took about 4 hours. I first met with the technical HR recruiter. He explained the company, that it is privately owned and the owners stay involved. I got to take a tour of the facility which sounds like is the norm.

Interview Question – The manager asked me 'typical' interview question. What are your 3 best and 3 worst personality traits?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Engineering
San Diego, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Atomics in March 2010.

Interview Details – The initial interview session consisted of the HR Manager, the hiring manager and a person within the department. The second interview was with a VP of the department and another person. The third interview was with the Senior VP and another person. These interviews were usually one week apart. After the last interview an offer was made about 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – How well do you get along with legal?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Some negotiation was allowed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Atomics

Worked for General Atomics? Contribute to the Community!

General Atomics – Why Work for Us?

Why Choose General Atomics • You’ll follow in the footsteps of some the world’s leading scientists and engineers who founded the company in 1955 for the purpose of harnessing the power of nuclear technologies for the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Atomics Engineer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by General Atomics employees and interview candidates.