General Atomics Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.9

Project Engineer Interview

Interview process started with a phone screening. Fairly standard format of resume walk through and what my interests are. On site interview was also fairly straight forward with questions about positions held on resume and walk through of Project Engineer role. The interview process consisted of phone screen plus the on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic interview questions. Why General Atomics? Questions about job transitions, etc.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied online and got a call within a month. I was set up for a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy. It seemed like they already kn ew they were going to hire me due to my resume.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Atomics in August 2014.

Interviewed with 4 managers and site Finance director. Interview took half a day. Everyone was very polite and nice. Seems like a very good company to work for. Although I didn't get the job, I appreciated that HR personally called me back to let me know. I will be applying again to this company. They required 5 references for this position.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example when you worked with a difficult team member.   Answer Question

Department Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at General Atomics in August 2014.

Applied on line. Was contacted by HR 5 days later to schedule a phone screen with Recruiter.Was told by her that she sends all feed back from candidates to Hiring manager, and its up to the mgr to decide if they want a face to face interview., If hired,will have to go through security clearance ( fingerprints ) which can take 5 to 6 weeks to get back, plus would be required to pass a drug screen.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you made a mistake at work, what happened and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Atomics in August 2014.

Had a few applications in their system (which I did not get called for), but at least my profile was on file. They contacted me a couple months later when another positions opened up (one that I had not applied to). They setup a conference call with the hiring manager and other supervisors. During the phone interview they asked questions about my background (both school and professional experience from resume) and technical questions (mostly general engineering knowledge). Overall, the conference call went OK and I was not sure if they will call me back. To my surprise a couple of weeks later they called to setup an in person interview. At first I met with the recruiter and had a quick 30 minute interview. The next interview was with a panel of 4 engineers including the hiring manager and supervisor and lasted about 2 hours. The interview was very relaxed, but at the same time they wanted to know how much I knew both about the position and general knowledge (so it got technical at times). I had a really good feeling leaving the interview and knew I had done a good job. They called me later that week and said they wanted to move to the next step which was a background check. Once that passed I got an offered 2 weeks later.

Technical Writer Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Atomics.

Applied online and received a response for a follow up phone interview next day. The interview was short and very rushed. I felt like they were just going through the motions and had already selected someone for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Experience as it relates to this position in 2 minutes   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Atomics in July 2014.

I initially almost declined the interview because HR wanted me to provided 5 references to fill out a lengthy survey about me within 24 hours. I felt like this was kind of ridiculous considering I hadn't had the interview to see if the job was a good fit. It found it off-putting. I was able to get 5 references _ 2 have to be current or past supervisors. It was a headache for these high-level managers to fill out the survey which included 2 essay questions within 24 hours.

The interview was a panel of 3 men. One was the office mgr, a retired Army COL. The other two were project managers. They were friendly enough. One said "the person who WINS this position will..." which I found to be a red flag, considering I feel like the interview is as much about me seeing if I want to work for a company as it is about them selecting me. I feel any quality employee with self-esteem would feel this way. The interview had a slight flavor of wanting me to grovel for a job.

Anyway, the main interviewer wasn't hostile, but asked questions in a rapid fire manner and always had a sort of "prove it" follow up question. By about halfway through the interview I had decided I didn't want to work there. I had several opportunities on the table, as do most engineers in this town who are good at what they do. The travel requirements pretty much sealed it for me that I wasn't going to be interested. I made it pretty clear at the time the level of travel required would be a problem for me.

Also, when I asked the main interviewer when they would be making a decision, he said 5 weeks in the future. So, they expect a candidate to get 5 reference surveys completed within 24 hours and they aren't making a decision for over a month?? They were currently funded, btw.

I don't think they will get quality people working for them if they treat candidates this way. They will find people, but not the best people. This manner of interviewing will weed out the best people. Also, please refer to the completely inappropriate nature of the questions below. Enough said. Amazing. Dodged a bullet!

Interview Questions
    • "This is a position where you will be the ONLY FEMALE, is that a problem for you? I mean, it's really a boy's club, will that be a problem for you? What I'm saying is that you will DEFINITELY BE THE ONLY WOMAN when you work this position, would that be a problem for you?"   View Answer

Systems Test and Qualification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Atomics.

Was brought in to interview as part of a mass-interview weekend event. Did a rotation through 3 1-on-1 interviews which all felt rushed as they were trying to keep to the schedule. Do not think it lasted more than an hour total. It seemed like it was the first time 2 of the interviews had even seen my resume. All three had different interview styles.

First: Questioned experience and relevancy to the position, slow questions.
    Second: On point, rapid fire questions picking apart the resume.
    Third: General experience & Conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to describe, in detail, the functionality of a common avionics data bus.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analysis Interview

The process is really easy. Only one phone interview. Duration around 30 minutes. The hiring manager is nice guy which ask some background info. Next morning receive offer. The process takes only max 1 weeks.

Aircraft Planning and Documentaion Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at General Atomics.

My process from start to finish took about 8 months. The HR recruiter seemed over worked and was extremely hard to get a hold of. I had more luck contacting my supervisor to be. Things should be better now but don't expect to much. They did offer a relocation assistance package which really helped so that is a plus and something to ask about.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't expect anything outside the generic HR questions. Do a google search and just reference some Q&A there.   View Answer
    Nothing I was basically told take it or leave it.