General Atomics

Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.9

Avionics Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Atomics in March 2013.

First you have to pass Online test. Then a Phone interview. Then Practical Test. Then Person-to-person interview wich its pretty hard but its not really about knowledge more about personality. Ask you to describe any kind of avionics systems of aircraft that you used to work. What if?? questions.. Qualities you have.

Interview Questions
    • Talk Alot of yourself and systmes. Practice to describe any kind of system specially avionics that you used to work before   Answer Question
    No negociating. HR give you how much you going to make and they wont give you more.. You can try tho. Nothing to loose

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics.

Was brought in and asked a series of questions by 3 different people.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics.

9 individual interviews during one long day

Interview Questions
    • Detailed technical questions as related to vector control   Answer Question

Graphic Illustrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics in November 2012.

I was called for an impromptu phone interview while at work (I took a break to take the call), and was interviewed on the spot by the Hiring Manager and the Lead. They went over my experience, where I am currently employed which also most directly pertained to their need. It was about 20 minutes and went very well. I really liked the guys I spoke to. I was informed by email I'd get a call from the HR/Recruiter later that day.

The next day I got the call from HR. She instantly went over the resume again, which was fine. She went over their very extensive benefits package, which is impressive. However they could not match my current pay, much less top it. I have really good benefits now though I must admit GA's were better. I essentially said I needed to at the very least make what I make now, and have relocation or a bonus (some kind of motivation to take the position). The HR person then talked about overtime being "10% of the pay" and that would help. Personally I loathe OT, I work it when needed (have made 4k this year in OT) but that was not a selling point to me. She kept talking about the great bennies and it was San Diego. I mean great, it's a nice city. However, I lived in Cali for 6 years and I specifically left it because it is over priced. So that also was not a selling point. The fact I was expected to leave my current better paying job in a less expensive area for their job was an odd play. GA gave me zero motivation to want this position other than the good vibe I got from the people I would have been working for and learning some new tech.

I told her if they could do something, a bonus or anything if I was offered the position I'd come down for an in person visit (on my dime no less). In a week I got an email invite for the in person visit, but never a response to my initial compensation questions. I called and was told I was still the "lead candidate" but they wanted to explore local people first. I can respect that. I was told I would be called with an update, which I never was and they re-posted the position 2 weeks later. Sadly, GA are taking advantage of the economy. I had the qualifications they desired but they wanted to give me entry level pay. A shame because they really had everything else going for them and I would have done it if not for the low compensation offered.

Low compensation that did not match my current pay, no bonus or relocation offered and expected me to pay for the flight down to visit the facility.

Composite Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics in October 2012.

phone call to set up interview time and date

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Atomics in June 2012.

First and only interview was over the phone. Was asked to go over information on resume, and then asked a couple of technical questions which were not too difficult. HR contacted me a week later letting me know they were interested in hiring. Overall the process was not difficult, and they seemed to be more interested in if I understood basic concepts rather than intricate details.

Interview Questions
    • bit manipulation question: if we want the second and fifth bit of a number how do we extract those bits?   Answer Question

Security Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at General Atomics in April 2012.

After applying for a position I was qualified for, a recruiter contacted me from GA 3 days later to review my resume over the phone. We spoke for about 15-25 minutes about each work experience I had from various employers. I did not feel that the recruiter fully reviewed my resume as he would often repeat the same question "and you've worked there for 2-3 years?". Long story short, the recruiter did have the decency to call me back and say they chose someone else to move forward and that they would keep me notified if anything else came up.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a little about your experience at so and so...   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Atomics in April 2012.

I only did the phone interview and did not make it past that. They asked very specific questions about C memory management (static variables, heap, stack, what does the operating system do when it calls a function). In addition they asked about serial interfaces and baud rate and how that translates to characters per second. They also asked about controls, in particular transforms (Laplace in particular) and wanted an in depth review of PID control.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at General Atomics in February 2012.

Spoke to an HR person who basically went over my resume to make sure everything was correct. Talked a lot about the culture of the company. Asked if I had any questions. Asked what my schedule was like to arrange a follow up interview on-site but never heard back from her.

Avionics Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Atomics in January 2012.

There were a few steps to go through but overall it was very painless.
         1. They called to setup a phone interview.
         2. Phone Interview (Very basic questions ie. tell me about yourself, your experience, rate your skill level).
         3. Online Skills Test (They give you a week or so to complete it.. 2 part test with theory, safety, general math and competency questions ie. which way does the slash go in a web address? This way // or that way \\)
         4. Fly you out to the company (Very nice all expenses paid trip)
         5. Onsite test (Many if not all of the questions come from the previous online test, so pay attention and study)
         6. Practical Exercise (Install a piece of equipment onto a test bench,. Don't sit anything down! FOD! Test it. Write down your results.)
         7. 2 on 1 interview (This is VERY long (1hr+) and the interviewers play off each other, they have a script, and EVERY question starts with "Tell me about a time..." so have plenty of stories available. Also, they asked me to describe something very difficult in great detail. I tend to think things are only difficult if you let them be, bit a good answer. This was my last question, and the first time it had ever been asked it and I flubbed it.)

The company seemed VERY laid back, not a suit, a tie, or a button down in the whole place. I wore a suit and felt very out of place. I'm not sure if business casual is right answer but maybe this a better question to ask your recruiter.

I wish you well, and happy interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with limited resources.   Answer Question
    • Describe a very difficult task in great detail.   Answer Question