General Atomics

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.8

A&P Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at General Atomics.

Was indepth.

Interview Questions
    They offered. I accepted.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Atomics.

I applied through their online job site. About 1.5 months later, I received a phone call to schedule an initial phone screening from an HR recruiter. The phone screening was mostly about my experience and general qualifications, nothing too difficult. After the phone screening, I was invited for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview consisted of 1 interview with the HR recruiter, 1 interview with a prospective team member or supervisor, and then 1 interview with the hiring manager. Again, the the interviews were mostly about my experience. They didn't quiz me on engineering equations or give me a creative thinking question like some companies like to do. The position I was interviewing for involved a lot of interaction with different groups. Because of that, I talked about my philosophy on cooperation and workplace interaction. What I said seemed to resonate with the hiring manager.

The day after, I was called and conditionally offered the job. GA then required me to submit 5 references, with at least 2 being a supervisor/manager. I also had to take a drug screening test. After submitting all of the necessary references and passing the screening, I was fully offered the job. This secondary process took about 2 weeks.

Tips for future applicants:
    If you currently have a job, make sure to be on good terms with your supervisors and coworkers, you'll need 5 of them to submit reference letters, which is a lot. Most places only require 1-3 references.

Interview Questions
    • There was no particularly difficult question. Just make sure to highlight how your experience, personality, work philosophy, goals, and education is relevant to the job.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics.

Received an initial phone screening with basic questions regarding interest and availability. This was followed by a video interview about three weeks later with three engineers who asked mostly behavioral questions and probed projects listed on my resume. Received a call later that day saying they wanted to move forward in extending me an offer. Took a drug test and passed a background check before official offer was extended.

Systems Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics in December 2013.

Applied online - about 3 months later, was contacted to set up a telephone interview. Just went through resume and asked questions about it, and seeing how it would fit with the job description

Avionics Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Atomics in November 2013.

It was a rather standard interview. Applied and got a call from HR couple of weeks later. Basically I was told the process would have several steps. The first was an online test. The test covered basic electronic theory, general aircraft, and basic math. You are told not to look anything up while you do the test which is important. The second part was a phone interview with HR. They asked standard questions. Why this job, tell me about such and such system, have you used tech manuals....etc.

After the phone interview I was contact by HR again about coming in for an interview. I let them know when i was available and they set everything up. GA-ASI paid for the plane, hotel, rental car, and also a per diem for each day.

The on site interview process is a bit lengthy. Mine was from 7 am to around lunch. You check in and go to HR first thing. While there you are handed a packet about GA-ASI with various information (benefits are really nice) and you speak with the HR person while they get a feel for you. After a couple minutes of that you will be given another test that has the same types of things as the online test. This is to make sure you didnt cheat on the online part. You MUST pass this test in order to proceed with the rest of the interview process.

The test is reviewed by the actual hiring authority and you are told go or no go. If you pass the test they will walk you to the next part of the test. The next test is simply a install of a dummy part and ops check where you follow a tech manual. If you have worked on any aircraft this part is easy. The hardest part is wondering if things like not having a station to break your torque wrench is an oversight or they want to see if you know to do it.

If you pass this the next step is the interview with the hiring authority. During this he brought in another person so it was two people. The interview was very regimented. They had a couple of sheets of questions and asked questions from the sheet. Questions were things like, describe a time you had to do something where you were being told to do something but you know you shouldnt, tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co worker and how did you resolve it.

I did not get a job offer, afterwords I was escorted back to HR and then left. A weekish later I got an email telling me I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • What conflict did you have with a coworker and how did you resolve it   Answer Question

MID LEVEL UAV SYSTEMS SPECIALIST Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at General Atomics in October 2013.

Phone interview for a position I did not apply for. I assume my resume was seen by a hiring recruiter and passed along.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us why you want to be Technical Writer?   View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Atomics.

Meet with HR, then meet with department manager. Manager ask about background then proceeds to ask a serious of technical questions. Some required reciting equations. Some are basic concepts related to engineering. Then meet with potential lead who proceeded to ask similar questions.

FYI, this has changed and is now a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the ones I was asked were unexpected or particularly unexpected.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. HR called, offered me the job at a certain salary and I took it.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Atomics.

Applied online, in-person interview with HR then panel interview right after. Took 1 week after applying to set up interview.

Director, Contacts and Procurement Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Atomics in August 2013.

Brought me in to interview for a position which when I got there was told it was not available, and just recently filled. However, the same job posting has been up for over two years and the job has been filled for at least that long. Bait and switch tactics.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. No ground breaking processes here.   Answer Question

Software Developer I Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Atomics in August 2013.

I applied on their website and got an email for an initial phone interview later that week. The man interviewing me asked some pretty technical questions. The team I was interviewing for wrote the autopilot system for their UAV's. The programmers need to know C programming as well as how aircraft fly to be able to understand how the coding would affect the aircraft mid-flight.

Interview Questions
    • Asked how a plane turns, how memory is allocated in C, Stack, Heap, Pointers. Not asked about actual code in this interview.   Answer Question