General Atomics Interview Questions & Reviews in Poway, CA

2.9

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Security Suppost Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Atomics in July 2013.

Initially applied online and got a call from the recruiter about one month later. She called and executed the screening interview where she also asked my salary expectations. Next, she scheduled me for a phone interview with the hiring manager. After that, she sent me a survey link to send to five references and set up the in person interview with two hiring managers and the recruiter. The recruiter explained benefits, hiring process, and asked a few general questions (i.e., worst and best previous management style, why do you want to work for GA). Next, I met with one hiring manager who basically told me more about the department and position. After that, I met with the hiring manager that I originally had the phone interview with. Overall, this seems like a great company to work for with wonderful benefits and a high potential for growth, but unfortunately I did not have what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions for the position I was applying for.   Answer Question

UAV Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Atomics.

Hiring process was long. From start to final about three months. After initially telling me that a job offer was coming and after a few "awaiting final offer signatures" email correspondences, HR backed out citing a department restructuring and competency changes in the requirements. This I assume is code for we're divulging that information. My HR contact fought for me to stay in the loop but was told that the head HR manager/executive nixed my offer letter. Communication adequate but I felt I was led by the nose. Very poor show.

Interview was easy, nice people nothing difficult or mentally challenging. Was assigned a project by the top interviewer and spent a a few evenings putting together the required information.

HR departments, in most companies, have too much influence in the decision making process. I believe you need to leave it up to the department leads rather than folks who have no idea of what's required. If the department likes you they should have the last word. The tell tale sign in my interview was when the director said, "If HR makes you an offer take it." So even if they want you some HR bean-counter has the last word.

Composite Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at General Atomics in October 2012.

phone call to set up interview time and date

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at General Atomics in February 2012.

Spoke to an HR person who basically went over my resume to make sure everything was correct. Talked a lot about the culture of the company. Asked if I had any questions. Asked what my schedule was like to arrange a follow up interview on-site but never heard back from her.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at General Atomics in April 2012.

I only did the phone interview and did not make it past that. They asked very specific questions about C memory management (static variables, heap, stack, what does the operating system do when it calls a function). In addition they asked about serial interfaces and baud rate and how that translates to characters per second. They also asked about controls, in particular transforms (Laplace in particular) and wanted an in depth review of PID control.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Atomics in April 2011.

Phone
    1. Phone Interview by recruiter (15 min)
    2. Phone Interview by a panel (30 min)
    3. For second interview, they fly you over to Poway

Face to Face (5 hours)
    4. Meet with recruiter to discuss salary
    5. Meet with panel of engineers - They ask technical questions about UAV systems, eg comm. protocols, etc...
    6. Meet with supervisor (would be your boss) - He asks you business questions
    7. Meet with head of department - Kind of a personality test, see if you have the "nack"
    Go home

Interview Questions
    • Explain the process of a contract from initial stages to deliverables.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at General Atomics in October 2010.

I had a group interview. It was not a structured interview like a lot of the big companies have now. It was with the group I'd be working with, which was nice. They were very open and forthright. Interview took about 4 hours. I first met with the technical HR recruiter. He explained the company, that it is privately owned and the owners stay involved. I got to take a tour of the facility which sounds like is the norm.

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked me 'typical' interview question. What are your 3 best and 3 worst personality traits?   View Answer

Worked for General Atomics? Contribute to the Community!