General Dynamics Electric Boat Interview Questions in Connecticut

Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.1

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in August 2014.

After applying online, I was contacted via phone and e-mail 3 weeks later to set up an interview. I had three times in the morning to select from on the Saturday of the following week. A hotel arrangement was made by the company with all travel expenses reimbursed. The morning of the interview starts with a security procedure so that you are allowed to walk through the facility. Afterwards, I was taken on a bus to the New London site along with other interviewees (many interviewing for other positions). It was there that I interviewed with a panel of three people for maybe a timed 45 minutes. It was very conversational going over my resume and my experience as it pertained to the position. In this case, the Solid Mechanics department. They also require you to bring your transcripts and the panel went through mine, asking about particular classes and making note of particular grades. There were no direct technical questions. After the interview I was given a tour of the facility along with the other interviewees. I was told at the end that I would be contacted in 2-3 weeks, and was contacted in about 2 weeks via a letter in the mail.

Interview Questions
    • What was your experience with structural analysis in your senior design project? What was your favorite class? How have you been spending your time, post-graduation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in July 2014.

I am from Syracuse. I interviewed on a Friday. They paid for my hotel on Thursday nigh so I could get there at 7:15 on Friday. I went through security and was given a tour of the shipyard.(very cool) Then I had 5 one hour long one-on-one interviews and an HR summary interview. One of the interviews included a free lunch. In the HR interview I ranked my preference for the departments I interviewed for. They said I would hear back 4-6 weeks later. Two weeks later they made me a good offer. It was very relaxed. I was nervous for 10 minutes and then I was just having conversations about my history and the history of their company and how they could potentially overlap.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot remember, but none of them were too difficult. They essentially just asked me to expand on my resume.   View Answer
    I accepted the first offer, seeing this was my only offer. The offer was more than I wanted either way.

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2014.

I applied online through their career website by submitting my resume. A week later I was contacted by HR to schedule a flight out to interview. This phone call wasn't an interview or a phone screen. Set up travel with their coordinator, but because I was coming from the west coast I needed to stay an extra day to give me time after the interview to get to the airport. This extra day allowed me to get to know the surrounding area including Mystic, which was where the hotel I stayed at was located. They arranged the flight, rental car, and hotel. I submitted receipts for gas, airport parking and the $25 per diem for food that they allot via prepaid envelope to their accounting department.

The actual interview: I was given two time choices, 11:30 or 12:30. Dress: Suit and tie. Progression of events were exactly as it was outlined. Check in, submit docs, already had clearance so waited for the rest of the group to get their temp clearance to go on the tour. The tour was ok. The interview was panel behavioral questions. Easy easy easy. Practice STAR but minus the T... Situation, Action, Results.

My time was up quickly, when I got back to HR I had my offer waiting for me for the all the departments I was being considered for, it was up to me to choose where I wanted to go.

Interview Questions
    • Very easy interview because it was all behavioral. How do you deal with difficult people, deadlines, disagreements?   View Answer

The offer came with a full relocation package, moving household items, lodging and per diem for 30 days. Medical benefit was better than others but still cost the same out of paycheck; $120 I believe for a family. 401k is in the middle, I think the total if you do the max to get matched is around 8%. 2 weeks of PTO for the first ten years, however you get 30 days of sick time so you don't need to use your PTO when you get sick. Industry standard is 3 weeks PTO starting and goes up after 5 years, but this isn't negotiable here. Starting salary isn't negotiable, it's almost like working for the feds, based on years out of school not accomplishments or previous responsibilities. I was able to negotiate more time to consider the offer and they gave me an extra 10 days. The offer was 70k, level 2 and I already have a TS. I declined because I had a better offer with higher salary and stock options from another company that was more in line with what I want to do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2014.

Be prepared for a pretty long day! Your entire day is on a schedule, and there's a fair bit of waiting between events. I was on site for about 6 hours.

The day starts in Groton for in-process, then you ride a shuttle over to New London. Here you'll sit with a rep from a department alongside other interviewees until your interview time comes up. Interviews are group interviews, I had two interviews for 4 different departments. My first was 3 people, the 2nd was 5. Interview questions are pretty much straight off the resume, so just know it front to back (you should anyway!). Due to my previous internship experience at Raytheon, I had some softball technical questions about systems engineering that were not hard to answer at all. If you have a clearance, make sure to make it clear right out of the gate. Interviews are 30 mins each, and they are timed.

After the interviews are complete, its back over to Groton for the shipyard and model room tour. This took about an hour and a half, and was pretty interesting. After that, out process with HR and you're done.

I received two job offers by the time I had gotten back to Groton for the shipyard tour, but no one else in my tour or apparently that day had. The usual turn around is 5 days supposedly, but if you make a good enough impression they'll give you an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the systems engineering design process to us, but assume we have no knowledge   Answer Question
    • Why leave your position at Raytheon for Electric Boat?   View Answer

$65,000 is nothing to scoff at for an Engineer I position, but I had an offer from GDC4 for $70,000. Another large factor is the, what I consider to be, terrible location for younger employees. Growing up near the city it would be hard for me to acclimate to life east of nowhere. Benefits are pretty solid but lack some key things that I was looking for. The cost of living in the area is much cheaper than some other locations in New England, but that's for a reason.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2014.

Applied online, got call for interview 4 months later. It is a long time, but seems pretty normal for a company this size. EB put me up in a really nice hotel, paid for tolls, mileage on personal car based on IRS rate, and food since my stay was > 12 hours.

Interview started at 7, went to get fingerprinted and a temp badge at the security office after checking in at employment office. Came back to employment office where I got food voucher for the day's lunch, an itinerary, booklet of benefits, and description of departments. Waited a bit more and got a shipyard tour. Kinda hard to hear anything during since we all had to wear ear plugs, but it was neat seeing everything. Returned to employment office and waited some more for the bus to the New London engineering facility where we were greeted by our first interviewers.

Each interview with a department supervisor was an hour long and was strictly timed. The interviews were very relaxed, more conversational with the standard behavioral questions about teamwork, deadlines, difficult people, favorite classes, etc. The hour long blocks did go by very quickly; there was no shortage of conversation. After the second interview was lunch with a younger employee where you get to ask anything you want.

Finished up the day with the bus ride back to the employment office in Groton where I filled out an exit survey that asked about salary, types of work that do/don't interest me, etc. Turn around time is supposed to be within 2-3 weeks where they either mail you a rejection or call with an offer. I got a call 7 business days after the interview with offers from both departments that interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are very typical.

Why did you choose EB?
      What do you know about EB?
      What have you been doing with your time since you graduated so long ago?
      What was your favorite class?
      Least favorite class?
      What are your hobbies?
      If you have several equally functional designs to an engineering problem, how do you pick the best one?
      Have you ever been in a dysfunctional group?
      Have you ever had to work as an intermediary between group members?
      Have you ever worked in a group with poor leadership?
      What did you like best about your previous co-op experience?
      What did you like least about your previous co-op experience?
      If there is a lull at work, how would you occupy your time?
        Answer Question
    Didn't bother negotiating. They've got their way of figuring out a good offer package and it seemed more than fair.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in August 2013.

I applied online and was called in for an on-site interview within a week. I decided to come in for a Saturday interview. Parked in the visitor lot and had to fill out a form to leave on the dash. Short walk across the street to the interview/HR building. While waiting I got a packet of info about benefits which was useful to look through. There were about 5 others in for interviews that day. I met with an HR rep to confirm all my info was up to date including all my professional experience which they use to determine a starting salary. I had 2 half hour interviews. The first was with ~5 managers of different groups. A second was with 2 managers of a couple more groups. I answered some basic questions from my resume. They told me a bit about the groups they were in (very short descriptions). I asked questions regarding travel. At most they said I might travel to DC for short trips now and then, or over to the facility in Rhode Island, or between the Groton and New London locations. I asked questions regarding what I would expect to work on for any given day. They said it depends on which position. Some positions do all desk and lab work. Other positions may work with the actual production equipment to go on the subs. After that was a ~1 hour tour of a single room with a bunch of submarine models. This was very tiring having to stand for an hour in a single room, but it was very informative to get a big picture of what the company has and is working on. Next I met with the HR rep again where I was given an offer letter. Finally I had to walk quite a distance down the street to provide fingerprints. The day was about 4-5 hours long.

The offer was for a position with 1 of 5 different groups that I interviewed for. I left feeling as if I didn't know enough information about any of these groups. During the interviews I tried to get more information about where I would be working and what types of tasks I would be working on but information provided during the interviews was very vague. The HR rep did provide me a link to read about the different groups but they were pretty vague descriptions yet again.

I asked both HR and the interview groups about tuition reimbursement. Neither could tell me if my next master's class which started in several weeks would qualify for reimbursement if I started the position shortly thereafter. They basically pointed fingers in opposite directions.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any technical questions, only process related questions.   Answer Question

The offer was extremely low and was based entirely on my years of experience. I had a current job and would have taken a huge pay cut if I had taken the offer... to the point where I wouldn't be able to buy food after paying my monthly mortgage and student loans. They would not negotiate. I guess EB is in the business to hire mediocre employees while letting talent go elsewhere. I at least got reimbursed for mileage (has to be >50 miles) at the current IRS rates... I'd say the interview was worth it just for that.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in October 2012.

So, starts off in the office, you have to walk a little bit to get a visitors badge and or fingerprinted. Then you go back and sit in the waiting area with other candidates. Lady comes in and takes all to another room for transcript, passport, just documents. Gives you a folder containing benefits, very useful information, and a schedule is contained in there too. Tour is next, pretty low key and hard to hear the guide, so wait to get outside the manufacturing buildings to really ask questions. After the tour, a bus/shuttle will move you from the Groton facilities to the New London one, where engineers actually now work it appears. You follow the schedule given, usually past lunchtime, I had two interviews. First with my supervisor, very kind person, very relaxed interview. Went over the scope of the company and what they do and the group does before asking any questions. Basic behavioral and situation questions, no technical. Walked through the resume, so know what's on yours and be sure to describe and talk. Also the usual tell me about yourself stuff, no brain teasers or any funny sorts. The second interview was with a third year engineer over lunch, also very relaxed. Make sure to explain if they ask why you choose EB. The staff is very chill and nice, its a casual clothing workplace. After the interviews, a closing is done at Groton. You fill out a survey where 1 question asks your desired salary. Also, don't be afraid to put down suggestions or comments.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize and manage time if you have two projects that have a similar if not the same deadline?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, the offer was made over the phone so I would say negotiation was not really possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Submitted the application and heard back with an interview date within a week. Interview was to be split between several departments. Upon arrival on morning of interview, the interview schedule had changed. Half of the interview were with departments that were obviously not in my field of study. Spent the first few hours doing paperwork and touring the facility. Be prepared for the tour. The day I toured it was 95 degrees out and most of the buildings the interviews were in did not have adequate air conditioning (not very comfortable in your interview monkey suit). Interviews were very easy. No tough questions or anything out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on salary or other benefits, take it or leave it. Had the option of choosing between several departments.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in September 2012.

I am still in school so I got called in on a Saturday. Took Amtrak there and they had a hotel room for me. The interview was scheduled for 7:30. On Saturdays they do things a bit differently. After some HR paperwork I was placed in a room with 3 interviewers from 3 different departments. The interview was average there were a few tough questions but what I found most difficult was trying to give each person the same amount of attention. It has been a week and I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Interview Questions
    • What is a practical application for the Fourier transfer.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Engineering Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in August 2012.

If a family member works here and you are at least finished with sophomore year of college, you are virtually guaranteed a job, and placed ahead of "real" applicants. There is NO interview for summer interns at all. However, there is an exit interview for students entering their senior years with various departments of your choice/interest if you choose to participate.

Interview Questions
    • I was describing to the interviewers a junior year project involving an electrical circuit, and they asked extremely detailed questions regarding interference, DC bias voltages, and other very specific details about the project.   Answer Question

I was not satisfied/interested with the work I was performing. Also, the pace of getting things done is beyond slow but typical for government jobs...

Worked for General Dynamics Electric Boat? Contribute to the Community!