General Dynamics Electric Boat

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer II Interview

Engineer II
Groton, CT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through their career website by submitting my resume. A week later I was contacted by HR to schedule a flight out to interview. This phone call wasn't an interview or a phone screen. Set up travel with their coordinator, but because I was coming from the west coast I needed to stay an extra day to give me time after the interview to get to the airport. This extra day allowed me to get to know the surrounding area including Mystic, which was where the hotel I stayed at was located. They arranged the flight, rental car, and hotel. I submitted receipts for gas, airport parking and the $25 per diem for food that they allot via prepaid envelope to their accounting department.

The actual interview: I was given two time choices, 11:30 or 12:30. Dress: Suit and tie. Progression of events were exactly as it was outlined. Check in, submit docs, already had clearance so waited for the rest of the group to get their temp clearance to go on the tour. The tour was ok. The interview was panel behavioral questions. Easy easy easy. Practice STAR but minus the T... Situation, Action, Results.

My time was up quickly, when I got back to HR I had my offer waiting for me for the all the departments I was being considered for, it was up to me to choose where I wanted to go.

Interview Question – Very easy interview because it was all behavioral. How do you deal with difficult people, deadlines, disagreements?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer came with a full relocation package, moving household items, lodging and per diem for 30 days. Medical benefit was better than others but still cost the same out of paycheck; $120 I believe for a family. 401k is in the middle, I think the total if you do the max to get matched is around 8%. 2 weeks of PTO for the first ten years, however you get 30 days of sick time so you don't need to use your PTO when you get sick. Industry standard is 3 weeks PTO starting and goes up after 5 years, but this isn't negotiable here. Starting salary isn't negotiable, it's almost like working for the feds, based on years out of school not accomplishments or previous responsibilities. I was able to negotiate more time to consider the offer and they gave me an extra 10 days. The offer was 70k, level 2 and I already have a TS. I declined because I had a better offer with higher salary and stock options from another company that was more in line with what I want to do.

New London, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2014.

Interview Details – Be prepared for a pretty long day! Your entire day is on a schedule, and there's a fair bit of waiting between events. I was on site for about 6 hours.

The day starts in Groton for in-process, then you ride a shuttle over to New London. Here you'll sit with a rep from a department alongside other interviewees until your interview time comes up. Interviews are group interviews, I had two interviews for 4 different departments. My first was 3 people, the 2nd was 5. Interview questions are pretty much straight off the resume, so just know it front to back (you should anyway!). Due to my previous internship experience at Raytheon, I had some softball technical questions about systems engineering that were not hard to answer at all. If you have a clearance, make sure to make it clear right out of the gate. Interviews are 30 mins each, and they are timed.

After the interviews are complete, its back over to Groton for the shipyard and model room tour. This took about an hour and a half, and was pretty interesting. After that, out process with HR and you're done.

I received two job offers by the time I had gotten back to Groton for the shipyard tour, but no one else in my tour or apparently that day had. The usual turn around is 5 days supposedly, but if you make a good enough impression they'll give you an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Describe the systems engineering design process to us, but assume we have no knowledge   Answer Question
  • Why leave your position at Raytheon for Electric Boat?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – $65,000 is nothing to scoff at for an Engineer I position, but I had an offer from GDC4 for $70,000. Another large factor is the, what I consider to be, terrible location for younger employees. Growing up near the city it would be hard for me to acclimate to life east of nowhere. Benefits are pretty solid but lack some key things that I was looking for. The cost of living in the area is much cheaper than some other locations in New England, but that's for a reason.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Mechanical Engineer I
Groton, CT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a response withing a month. There was no phone interview. During my in person interview my interviewer did most of the talking. Gave a presentation on what his department is involved in and the basics of how they do it. I was asked a few softball questions like "what attracts you to the company" and other non-technical questions.

Interview Question – None really. Like I said it was totally non-technical. A little research beforehand on basic interview questions was the only preparation I needed, and even that wasn't really necessary.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Groton, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called in for an on-site interview within a week. I decided to come in for a Saturday interview. Parked in the visitor lot and had to fill out a form to leave on the dash. Short walk across the street to the interview/HR building. While waiting I got a packet of info about benefits which was useful to look through. There were about 5 others in for interviews that day. I met with an HR rep to confirm all my info was up to date including all my professional experience which they use to determine a starting salary. I had 2 half hour interviews. The first was with ~5 managers of different groups. A second was with 2 managers of a couple more groups. I answered some basic questions from my resume. They told me a bit about the groups they were in (very short descriptions). I asked questions regarding travel. At most they said I might travel to DC for short trips now and then, or over to the facility in Rhode Island, or between the Groton and New London locations. I asked questions regarding what I would expect to work on for any given day. They said it depends on which position. Some positions do all desk and lab work. Other positions may work with the actual production equipment to go on the subs. After that was a ~1 hour tour of a single room with a bunch of submarine models. This was very tiring having to stand for an hour in a single room, but it was very informative to get a big picture of what the company has and is working on. Next I met with the HR rep again where I was given an offer letter. Finally I had to walk quite a distance down the street to provide fingerprints. The day was about 4-5 hours long.

The offer was for a position with 1 of 5 different groups that I interviewed for. I left feeling as if I didn't know enough information about any of these groups. During the interviews I tried to get more information about where I would be working and what types of tasks I would be working on but information provided during the interviews was very vague. The HR rep did provide me a link to read about the different groups but they were pretty vague descriptions yet again.

I asked both HR and the interview groups about tuition reimbursement. Neither could tell me if my next master's class which started in several weeks would qualify for reimbursement if I started the position shortly thereafter. They basically pointed fingers in opposite directions.

Interview Question – I was not asked any technical questions, only process related questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was extremely low and was based entirely on my years of experience. I had a current job and would have taken a huge pay cut if I had taken the offer... to the point where I wouldn't be able to buy food after paying my monthly mortgage and student loans. They would not negotiate. I guess EB is in the business to hire mediocre employees while letting talent go elsewhere. I at least got reimbursed for mileage (has to be >50 miles) at the current IRS rates... I'd say the interview was worth it just for that.

Groton, CT

I applied online - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone call was to say I've been invited for an on-site interview, where I was flown out to Providence, RI where I'd drive and spend the preceding night in Groton, CT. A group of at least a dozen interviewees were there that morning and we went to get our temporary security badge, then back where we all turned in our transcripts and given an itinerary for the day. Shuttles took me to their new engineering building and it was a friendly process. No technical questions asked and while it was cordial, it definitely had the atmosphere of a large company where everyone's a number. Being out-of-state, the hiring manager seemed to be unfamiliar with my school's reputation (despite being top three in its field) and I felt like he had some pre-drawn conclusions, especially since I wasn't asked anything technical.

Interview Question – What was your favorite class and why?   View Answer

Engineering Specialist Interview

Engineering Specialist
Groton, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in May 2012.

Interview Details – I showed up where I was supposed to be, and then waited a half hour before anyone came and got me. I interviewed with 6 people individually, of which 2 were actually prepared. One came late to the interview because he forgot. Nobody had a copy of my resume and everyone asked me for a copy. I had no technical questions. Just questions about my experience, with no real verification. I wouldn't hire anyone based on that type of interview. But they do.

Interview Question – Do you have a copy of your resume because the HR didn't give me a copy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't negotiations. It was take it or leave it, however the salary was generous. However, be aware ... two weeks vacation. Seriously.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Mechanical Engineer I
Groton, CT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in October 2012.

Interview Details – So, starts off in the office, you have to walk a little bit to get a visitors badge and or fingerprinted. Then you go back and sit in the waiting area with other candidates. Lady comes in and takes all to another room for transcript, passport, just documents. Gives you a folder containing benefits, very useful information, and a schedule is contained in there too. Tour is next, pretty low key and hard to hear the guide, so wait to get outside the manufacturing buildings to really ask questions. After the tour, a bus/shuttle will move you from the Groton facilities to the New London one, where engineers actually now work it appears. You follow the schedule given, usually past lunchtime, I had two interviews. First with my supervisor, very kind person, very relaxed interview. Went over the scope of the company and what they do and the group does before asking any questions. Basic behavioral and situation questions, no technical. Walked through the resume, so know what's on yours and be sure to describe and talk. Also the usual tell me about yourself stuff, no brain teasers or any funny sorts. The second interview was with a third year engineer over lunch, also very relaxed. Make sure to explain if they ask why you choose EB. The staff is very chill and nice, its a casual clothing workplace. After the interviews, a closing is done at Groton. You fill out a survey where 1 question asks your desired salary. Also, don't be afraid to put down suggestions or comments.

Interview Question – How do you prioritize and manage time if you have two projects that have a similar if not the same deadline?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, the offer was made over the phone so I would say negotiation was not really possible.

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer
Groton, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ months - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in February 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process is very slow. Took me over 4 months from the time that I applied for the job to start. As I have learned since working for the company that working through the various hoops in dealing with HR can be daunting. Interviewers are required to ask a prepared set of questions, which must be submitted with recommendation for hiring after interviews are complete. HR is not willing to negotiate on salary and vacation though I was able to negotiate a salary increase within 6 months of coming to the company.

Interview Question – How will you make the transition from your previous career/job to this one where you will hold a different level of responsibility.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Electric Boat HR is not willing to negotiate on benefits, particularly vacation time. I believe this is because salaried employees are outnumbered by and have to live by some of the rules that were negotiated with the various company unions. I was able to negotiate a salary increase within the first 6 months and that was put into effect 4 months after I came to the company.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Groton, CT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in September 2012.

Interview Details – I am still in school so I got called in on a Saturday. Took Amtrak there and they had a hotel room for me. The interview was scheduled for 7:30. On Saturdays they do things a bit differently. After some HR paperwork I was placed in a room with 3 interviewers from 3 different departments. The interview was average there were a few tough questions but what I found most difficult was trying to give each person the same amount of attention. It has been a week and I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Interview Question – What is a practical application for the Fourier transfer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Groton, CT

I applied online and interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview Details – Submitted the application and heard back with an interview date within a week. Interview was to be split between several departments. Upon arrival on morning of interview, the interview schedule had changed. Half of the interview were with departments that were obviously not in my field of study. Spent the first few hours doing paperwork and touring the facility. Be prepared for the tour. The day I toured it was 95 degrees out and most of the buildings the interviews were in did not have adequate air conditioning (not very comfortable in your interview monkey suit). Interviews were very easy. No tough questions or anything out of the ordinary.

Interview Question – Go over your resume with me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on salary or other benefits, take it or leave it. Had the option of choosing between several departments.

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Dynamics Electric Boat

Worked for General Dynamics Electric Boat? Contribute to the Community!