General Dynamics Electric Boat Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT).

Interview

Interview is usually done by a panel or a group of people. They all ask different type of questions, technical and non technical. They also give a brief description of what the job entails.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

Get Security Pass, taken for a tour of the shipyard, then back to HR to wait for actual interview. I had two interviews in two different departments, both were very straightforward, neither lasted more than an hour and both interviewers were extremely pleasant people. No difficult questions, they mostly seemed concerned with explaining the duties of the job to me.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in GDEB?   3 Answers

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview

First I went in for a tour of the shipyard. Then you get processed through security. From there you are sent to HR where you wait for your interview. The interview went very well, one of the easiest interviews I have been on. They just went over my resume, I do not recall any technical questions pertaining to the job asked at all. Everyone was extremely nice, seems like a great place to work. Be prepared to go over your resume and talk about your background.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to EB? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Getting a visitor pass took about an hour. By 8:45, the shipyard and machine shop tour started. The day of the interview, we were given our itineraries. I had 7 interviews with 7 supervisors from 5 different departments. It was very intimidating and exhausting. My interviews were done when the employment office closes, so I didn't get an exiting interview. I got an offer about a week later via phone. They gave me 2 weeks to accept.

Interview Questions

• Quality, cost, and schedule: of the three, which is the most important to satisfy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for an Engineer I position in the Life Cycle Department of EB. The process took a few months from application to interview. I received a call to come in for an interview and they paid for my travel to CT. I went to the facility in the morning. The day started with a quick entrance interview with the HR representative. This was really just to go through my application and make sure everything was correct and up to date. After this I went to my interview with the people from the department. I interviewed with 3 current supervisors at the same time. Overall the interview wasn't that difficult for me, but definitely had the potential to be hard. They really just talked to me about my resume and my experience, but didn't ask any actually questions that allowed me to demonstrate my abilities. I needed to be able to show that I was right for the job in normal candid conversation. The interviewers were very nice, which made this a lot easier and I could tell that they liked my experience from the beginning. After my interview, I had an exit interview with the HR Rep. again at which point she offered me the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why EB? What do you like to do for fun? Hobbies? Are you willing to travel?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New London, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (New London, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied to the position online after being referred to it by a friend. Received a call 2 weeks later asking to schedule an interview. Paid for my travel and a nice hotel room the night before. Arrived at 8 AM, after going through security I received a tour of their shipyard and manufacturing facilities. Took a shuttle to New London from Groton to meet with a manager in the department I applied for. Interview was about 45 minutes long. Asked questions about my engineering background, my history in school, what classes I had enjoyed, what projects I had worked on. Explained the position thoroughly. Pretty standard, less formal than I expected. I then was taken to lunch by a current engineer in the department, whom I talked to about the workplace culture, the surrounding area, etc. An overall positive experience and it seemed like a great place to start a career.

Interview Questions

• What experience with FEA do you have?   1 Answer

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in November 2014.

Interview

Apparently I didn't actually apply for this position. I previously interviewed at GDEB for a different position, and 2 weeks later they called me for another interview, this time paying for the hotel (around 150 miles single trip). Hotel was a Marriott, which was nice, but bring earplugs since the AC is located next to the bed (at least in my room) and goes off quite loudly. Went to the employment office at 7:30 in the morning, and waited until 9 before we went on the tour of the Groton site, and then we got on the new london bus. Talked with a senior manager for the first interview and then he had a slightly less senior engineer show me what they do, and then a young engineer (actually a classmate of mine) took me out to lunch, then I got back on the bus. After getting back to the employment office the HR rep in charge of the hiring apparently got on the same bus I got off and went to New London, so I didn't get the exit interview. The lady at the front desk gave me a reimbursement sheet and said I could leave. The hiring process after the interview was a complete disaster however. 3 weeks in and didn't hear anything, so I called the HR rep. No one picked up, and she didn't respond to my email either. Tried again 2 days later, no go. Tried a week later, still no one picking up. Emailed the lady at the front desk, she told me to call the HR Rep. No one has picked up or responded to my voice mails, and the interview seems like a dream after 5 weeks. Which is quite similar to what happened with the first interview I had with GDEB; I actually asked the lady at the front desk to ask the HR rep for that position to get back to me, and she still didn't respond until I called her 5 weeks in. Thanks a lot.

Interview Questions

• What have you been doing since you graduated, other than job searching?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in September 2014.

Interview

Submitted application and then a week later received an email. Interview was the Saturday after. Stayed at a hotel and then arrived at the office at 6:45. Submitted my passport and had fingerprints taken. Then waited for a shuttle at HR to go to new london. At new London they gave us a very tiny tour and split us into groups for the interview. I had two employees interview me at the same time which I thought was for the same position. After they took us back to Groton for a tour there and finally taken back to HR. They had us all complete exit interviews and then called each one of us down. I was offered on the spot two positions ffrom which I could choose. Took about two months before I received temporare clearance.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were technical. They were all the same questions as in other places. Behavioral.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't really negotiate. It was higher salary then I expected.

Application

Interview

Called me about an application submitted a few weeks prior, flew me out at the end of the week for a day of interviews. Did HR stuff, had a 30 minute interview, tour, final meeting with HR.

Interview Questions

• Only questions were about my resume. Asked about what I did on my listed school projects and extracurriculars. Asked what classes I enjoyed and disliked. The most difficult questions were when I was asked where I see myself in 5-10 years, and asked what skills I learned from my projects/how to use what I learned in my future career.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in August 2014.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted via phone and e-mail 3 weeks later to set up an interview. I had three times in the morning to select from on the Saturday of the following week. A hotel arrangement was made by the company with all travel expenses reimbursed. The morning of the interview starts with a security procedure so that you are allowed to walk through the facility. Afterwards, I was taken on a bus to the New London site along with other interviewees (many interviewing for other positions). It was there that I interviewed with a panel of three people for maybe a timed 45 minutes. It was very conversational going over my resume and my experience as it pertained to the position. In this case, the Solid Mechanics department. They also require you to bring your transcripts and the panel went through mine, asking about particular classes and making note of particular grades. There were no direct technical questions. After the interview I was given a tour of the facility along with the other interviewees. I was told at the end that I would be contacted in 2-3 weeks, and was contacted in about 2 weeks via a letter in the mail.

Interview Questions

• What was your experience with structural analysis in your senior design project? What was your favorite class? How have you been spending your time, post-graduation?   Answer Question