General Dynamics Electric Boat Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015
Updated Apr 3, 2015

2.2

Hydrodynamics Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview

Applied online, called up the next week. Asked to come up, hotel was arranged for me and they offered a flight but I drove(they payed for gas). Went to the HR office, checked by security, tour of shipyard was very cool. Bused over to New London office and met in the lobby by the engineer who was interviewing me. He took me back to his office. He was a engineer supervisor, and asked me mostly questions about my resume and transcript. He told me about his past projects but over all it seemed he did not have much of a plan for the interview. We didn't hit it off and i knew he would be the one to make the final call. He said our time was up and took me to meet the department manager who wasn't in his office. He took me then and put me in a conference room with a younger engineer(5 years at EB) We talked, he already had a copy of all my documents and had highlighted the things he was interested in but did not have many questions for me. We had an interesting conversation about how he does his work and what tools he used. Then the Manager came it, He took me to his office were he started to ask me about my resume but we mostly talked about unrelated stuff such as his boat. Finally i went to lunch with a 1 year engineer from my school. Lunch was on EB and good, the Lunch interview was very causally but definitely still was an interview. I was never told explicitly what I would be doing if they gave me the job so it was hard to tie myself into their work, i mostly had to work of generality and guesses.

I read through all the interviews on this site and wrote the questions down. It was good prep but most of all know your resume and be able to turn any weaknesses in your resume/job history/ Transcript into strengths or learning experiences.

Also be prepared to lead the interview(I had to though some people on this site did not have to)

Interview Questions

• Supervisor asked me about each thing on my resume
      5 year engineer asked me about a project I had on my resume
      manager asked what my favored class was
      Lunch interview asked no real questions

1 Answer

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview

First I went in for a tour of the shipyard. Then you get processed through security. From there you are sent to HR where you wait for your interview. The interview went very well, one of the easiest interviews I have been on. They just went over my resume, I do not recall any technical questions pertaining to the job asked at all. Everyone was extremely nice, seems like a great place to work. Be prepared to go over your resume and talk about your background.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to EB?
      Why do you want to work here?

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview

The initial interview was not too stressful, and the interviewer was very personable. The interview lasted approximately 45 minutes, upon which the interviewer will explain the next step in the hiring process, depending on how the interview went. Overall it was a positive experience that I felt was informative for both myself and the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer will go over your resume almost line by line, so be prepared to answer to any of your experiences. There were also a number of questions asking about times you've worked in a team or have been a leader.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for an Engineer I position in the Life Cycle Department of EB. The process took a few months from application to interview. I received a call to come in for an interview and they paid for my travel to CT. I went to the facility in the morning. The day started with a quick entrance interview with the HR representative. This was really just to go through my application and make sure everything was correct and up to date. After this I went to my interview with the people from the department. I interviewed with 3 current supervisors at the same time. Overall the interview wasn't that difficult for me, but definitely had the potential to be hard. They really just talked to me about my resume and my experience, but didn't ask any actually questions that allowed me to demonstrate my abilities. I needed to be able to show that I was right for the job in normal candid conversation. The interviewers were very nice, which made this a lot easier and I could tell that they liked my experience from the beginning. After my interview, I had an exit interview with the HR Rep. again at which point she offered me the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why EB?

What do you like to do for fun? Hobbies?

Are you willing to travel?

Electrical Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview went pretty well, I was interviewed by five different Engineers, they basically asked me questions related to my resume, general and technical questions. Every one was pretty nice, after the interview was done, we went back to HR, feel the post interview sheet. The HR lady asked me to watch my email, I might get contacted. I answered every single question but I was surprised I didn't get any offer. May be they don't give offer the same day.

Fluid Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2015.

Interview

First off, you get to employment office.You are then given tour of shipyard,machine shop etc.For this position, I interviewed with two senor engineers and hiring manager. Very relaxed. Then they have you go on Lunch with junior engineer. After which you returned to employment office,where you talk with HR rep.

Electrical Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

I spoke to EB at a career fair at the university. The people were friendly and the work seemed interesting. I received a phone call after about 2 weeks to schedule an interview for 2 weeks later.

The interview process was fun. The company only held one round of interviews. All the interviews took place on that day which was a little overwhelming. The day starts at 7:45 with a security clearance. They take your finger prints and give you a badge. A few others were being interviewed that day but it seemed like it was for different positions. At about 8:45, we were given a tour of the shipyard. This was the best part because it really gives you a sense of what the end product of your work would be.

After the tour, the interviews begin. I am pretty sure the number of interviews you sit in depends on how many departments want to interview you. I had a total of 5 interviews.

The first interview was in the same locality with 2 engineers for about 30-45 mins: one older and one closer to me in age. After this interview, they walked me to the bus which took me to the new england site for my second interview. This was with 2 engineers also, both older but seemingly did different work from each other. It was a little weird because they were interviewing me for a position that I did not have the academic background for. Still, they were very friendly. This lasted about 30 mins also.

The next 2 "interviews" were less formal. One was with a principal engineer where we just really had a conversation for about 20-25 mins. We spoke about politics, our own backgrounds, and hobbies. It was the best part of my day so far. The guy was so down to earth and I was very comfortable. It was cut short as I had to get to lunch. Another engineer took me to lunch in their cafeteria (which is pretty awesome). This was really informal and we just spoke about likes, company culture, etc. This is the best time to ask questions and get a feel for the culture.

The last interview turned out to be my favorite. After lunch, I sat with another engineer for an hour. We spent 50 minutes talking about everything. We spoke about our experiences and I got to tell him about how I work and my strengths and weaknesses. He told me about his work and the position he was interviewing me for. He spent the last 10 mins doing a quick rundown of my resume.

Overall, its a great experience. Most of each interview was just to see how you are as a person. There aren't really many behavioral questions, but just questions about experiences on your resume and then follow ups about them. Each departmental interview asked some technical questions but nothing in depth. They just want to see if you have any knowledge or background in the department they work for (I was asked if I had taken any networking classes. I hadn't. Then they asked me about a networking experience I had listed as a bullet for my design project on my resume. Literally, it was just one bullet. I explained why I made the choice to choose a specific technology and the type of topology I used.). If you can show that you're not just someone looking for a job, show some interest in the work they do, throw in some info from their website, and confidently speak about anything on your resume, you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      If someone was hard to work with, how would you handle it?(this was a bit of role play)
      Have you taken any ______(fill blank with the department's specialty) classes?
      Why EB?
      What are your goals?

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (New London, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied to the position online after being referred to it by a friend. Received a call 2 weeks later asking to schedule an interview. Paid for my travel and a nice hotel room the night before. Arrived at 8 AM, after going through security I received a tour of their shipyard and manufacturing facilities. Took a shuttle to New London from Groton to meet with a manager in the department I applied for. Interview was about 45 minutes long. Asked questions about my engineering background, my history in school, what classes I had enjoyed, what projects I had worked on. Explained the position thoroughly. Pretty standard, less formal than I expected. I then was taken to lunch by a current engineer in the department, whom I talked to about the workplace culture, the surrounding area, etc. An overall positive experience and it seemed like a great place to start a career.

Interview Questions

• What experience with FEA do you have?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for the job on Indeed, got a call a few weeks later, they paid for my travel expenses to visit, very easy behavioral interview, got offer a few weeks afterwards, declined because I had a better offer elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with 3D printing.   1 Answer
    • You're an aerospace engineer; why are you applying for a mechanical engineering position?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about (such and such) skill(s) that you mentioned on your resume.   Answer Question

Engineering Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in December 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted through LinkedIn by a recruiting company that is contracted by General Dynamics. After submitting an application and my resume, I was invited about a week later for an on-site interview. All travel (airfare, hotel, rental car) was prepaid by EB. I attended a hiring event on a Saturday with approximately 20 other people. After badging and check in, I met with an HR rep who verified my application information and gave me a benefits packet. I waited for about 45 minutes for my interview with a single supervisor from the department I was applying for. The interview took less than an hour, and was more of a casual discussion of the expected work and my experience. Afterwards there was a tour of the shipyard. Finally after the tour I had a summary meeting with the HR rep where I asked about the benefits and work schedule, and I was I my way back to the airport.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous and current work experience.   Answer Question

Although I was excited about the work and the opportunity at EB, the offer was a 6% decrease from my salary with my current employer. When I mentioned this to the HR person I was told that it was "the best we can do." Combined with the need to relocate my family and the increased cost of living, it was impossible for me to make this career move.

Also, it took just under two months to hear back after my interview, although it was over the holiday season.