General Dynamics Electric Boat Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Groton, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in August 2014.

After applying online, I was contacted via phone and e-mail 3 weeks later to set up an interview. I had three times in the morning to select from on the Saturday of the following week. A hotel arrangement was made by the company with all travel expenses reimbursed. The morning of the interview starts with a security procedure so that you are allowed to walk through the facility. Afterwards, I was taken on a bus to the New London site along with other interviewees (many interviewing for other positions). It was there that I interviewed with a panel of three people for maybe a timed 45 minutes. It was very conversational going over my resume and my experience as it pertained to the position. In this case, the Solid Mechanics department. They also require you to bring your transcripts and the panel went through mine, asking about particular classes and making note of particular grades. There were no direct technical questions. After the interview I was given a tour of the facility along with the other interviewees. I was told at the end that I would be contacted in 2-3 weeks, and was contacted in about 2 weeks via a letter in the mail.

Interview Questions
    • What was your experience with structural analysis in your senior design project? What was your favorite class? How have you been spending your time, post-graduation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2014.

Applied online, got call for interview 4 months later. It is a long time, but seems pretty normal for a company this size. EB put me up in a really nice hotel, paid for tolls, mileage on personal car based on IRS rate, and food since my stay was > 12 hours.

Interview started at 7, went to get fingerprinted and a temp badge at the security office after checking in at employment office. Came back to employment office where I got food voucher for the day's lunch, an itinerary, booklet of benefits, and description of departments. Waited a bit more and got a shipyard tour. Kinda hard to hear anything during since we all had to wear ear plugs, but it was neat seeing everything. Returned to employment office and waited some more for the bus to the New London engineering facility where we were greeted by our first interviewers.

Each interview with a department supervisor was an hour long and was strictly timed. The interviews were very relaxed, more conversational with the standard behavioral questions about teamwork, deadlines, difficult people, favorite classes, etc. The hour long blocks did go by very quickly; there was no shortage of conversation. After the second interview was lunch with a younger employee where you get to ask anything you want.

Finished up the day with the bus ride back to the employment office in Groton where I filled out an exit survey that asked about salary, types of work that do/don't interest me, etc. Turn around time is supposed to be within 2-3 weeks where they either mail you a rejection or call with an offer. I got a call 7 business days after the interview with offers from both departments that interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are very typical.

Why did you choose EB?
      What do you know about EB?
      What have you been doing with your time since you graduated so long ago?
      What was your favorite class?
      Least favorite class?
      What are your hobbies?
      If you have several equally functional designs to an engineering problem, how do you pick the best one?
      Have you ever been in a dysfunctional group?
      Have you ever had to work as an intermediary between group members?
      Have you ever worked in a group with poor leadership?
      What did you like best about your previous co-op experience?
      What did you like least about your previous co-op experience?
      If there is a lull at work, how would you occupy your time?
        Answer Question
    Didn't bother negotiating. They've got their way of figuring out a good offer package and it seemed more than fair.

Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Called me about an application submitted a few weeks prior, flew me out at the end of the week for a day of interviews. Did HR stuff, had a 30 minute interview, tour, final meeting with HR.

Interview Questions
    • Only questions were about my resume. Asked about what I did on my listed school projects and extracurriculars. Asked what classes I enjoyed and disliked. The most difficult questions were when I was asked where I see myself in 5-10 years, and asked what skills I learned from my projects/how to use what I learned in my future career.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in July 2014.

I am from Syracuse. I interviewed on a Friday. They paid for my hotel on Thursday nigh so I could get there at 7:15 on Friday. I went through security and was given a tour of the shipyard.(very cool) Then I had 5 one hour long one-on-one interviews and an HR summary interview. One of the interviews included a free lunch. In the HR interview I ranked my preference for the departments I interviewed for. They said I would hear back 4-6 weeks later. Two weeks later they made me a good offer. It was very relaxed. I was nervous for 10 minutes and then I was just having conversations about my history and the history of their company and how they could potentially overlap.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot remember, but none of them were too difficult. They essentially just asked me to expand on my resume.   View Answer
    I accepted the first offer, seeing this was my only offer. The offer was more than I wanted either way.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview was setup after 2 months of applying. Interview was quite straight forward. I had to interview with two people and they were really great. The whole process took about 4 hours.

Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in February 2012.

Applied online, got a phone call asking to schedule an expenses-paid interview. They paid for the train ride from Boston, put me up in a nearby Residence Inn and gave a per diem for food as well as reimbursed taxi fares. The day of the interview, they gave all the interviewees a tour of the shipyard before sending us off to our individual interviews. I interview with one department. The interview was with two would-be coworkers (not management, not HR, etc.) and then I had a 'feel free to ask anything- anything at all' lunch with another would-be coworker. Afterwards, there was a quick debrief with HR. Offer came 8 days later. The questions asked were all very basic; I got the impression the interview itself was more or less just the "can you spend 8 hours with this guy every day?" test.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions; just went through the application and resumé line by line   Answer Question

Structural Engineer/Overhaul & Repair Engineering Interview

I applied online - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Electric Boat will conduct a short phone interview and then bring you to the shipyard for a tour and on-site interview. The on-site seems mostly like a formality. My interview seemed more like a perosonality review to make sure I fit the type of environment my department works in.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult quetions. My supervisor just wanted to make sure that I was ok with working in a very fast paced and always changining environment.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation on salary.

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Groton, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2014.

I applied online through their career website by submitting my resume. A week later I was contacted by HR to schedule a flight out to interview. This phone call wasn't an interview or a phone screen. Set up travel with their coordinator, but because I was coming from the west coast I needed to stay an extra day to give me time after the interview to get to the airport. This extra day allowed me to get to know the surrounding area including Mystic, which was where the hotel I stayed at was located. They arranged the flight, rental car, and hotel. I submitted receipts for gas, airport parking and the $25 per diem for food that they allot via prepaid envelope to their accounting department.

The actual interview: I was given two time choices, 11:30 or 12:30. Dress: Suit and tie. Progression of events were exactly as it was outlined. Check in, submit docs, already had clearance so waited for the rest of the group to get their temp clearance to go on the tour. The tour was ok. The interview was panel behavioral questions. Easy easy easy. Practice STAR but minus the T... Situation, Action, Results.

My time was up quickly, when I got back to HR I had my offer waiting for me for the all the departments I was being considered for, it was up to me to choose where I wanted to go.

Interview Questions
    • Very easy interview because it was all behavioral. How do you deal with difficult people, deadlines, disagreements?   View Answer

The offer came with a full relocation package, moving household items, lodging and per diem for 30 days. Medical benefit was better than others but still cost the same out of paycheck; $120 I believe for a family. 401k is in the middle, I think the total if you do the max to get matched is around 8%. 2 weeks of PTO for the first ten years, however you get 30 days of sick time so you don't need to use your PTO when you get sick. Industry standard is 3 weeks PTO starting and goes up after 5 years, but this isn't negotiable here. Starting salary isn't negotiable, it's almost like working for the feds, based on years out of school not accomplishments or previous responsibilities. I was able to negotiate more time to consider the offer and they gave me an extra 10 days. The offer was 70k, level 2 and I already have a TS. I declined because I had a better offer with higher salary and stock options from another company that was more in line with what I want to do.

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

I found out about GDEB from my school career fair. I didn't know anything about the company and didn't think they would have any jobs for me since I'm a chemical engineering major. The recruiter was very friendly and assured me that there were aspects of submarines that ChemE's handled. I learned alot for the application such as how fresh water was created and about submarine filtration systems to convince them that I had the requirements. I am still waiting to hear back but it seems like an exciting position to be in.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions related to the Navy on the application. I expect typical interview questions and specific ChemE questions on separations and HEX.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in March 2014.

Be prepared for a pretty long day! Your entire day is on a schedule, and there's a fair bit of waiting between events. I was on site for about 6 hours.

The day starts in Groton for in-process, then you ride a shuttle over to New London. Here you'll sit with a rep from a department alongside other interviewees until your interview time comes up. Interviews are group interviews, I had two interviews for 4 different departments. My first was 3 people, the 2nd was 5. Interview questions are pretty much straight off the resume, so just know it front to back (you should anyway!). Due to my previous internship experience at Raytheon, I had some softball technical questions about systems engineering that were not hard to answer at all. If you have a clearance, make sure to make it clear right out of the gate. Interviews are 30 mins each, and they are timed.

After the interviews are complete, its back over to Groton for the shipyard and model room tour. This took about an hour and a half, and was pretty interesting. After that, out process with HR and you're done.

I received two job offers by the time I had gotten back to Groton for the shipyard tour, but no one else in my tour or apparently that day had. The usual turn around is 5 days supposedly, but if you make a good enough impression they'll give you an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the systems engineering design process to us, but assume we have no knowledge   Answer Question
    • Why leave your position at Raytheon for Electric Boat?   View Answer

$65,000 is nothing to scoff at for an Engineer I position, but I had an offer from GDC4 for $70,000. Another large factor is the, what I consider to be, terrible location for younger employees. Growing up near the city it would be hard for me to acclimate to life east of nowhere. Benefits are pretty solid but lack some key things that I was looking for. The cost of living in the area is much cheaper than some other locations in New England, but that's for a reason.

Worked for General Dynamics Electric Boat? Contribute to the Community!