General Dynamics Electric Boat

General Dynamics Electric Boat Mechanical Engineer I Interview Questions

1.8

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

I applied through Electric Boat's website. About 3-4 weeks later I received a call from them asking for an interview. Called their travel office and they payed for me to travel and stay at a hotel. For the day of the interview, arrived at offices at 7:30 am, had to walk and get a badge and go through some basic security questions. Then got to go on a tour of the facilities, see some of their buildings, machine shop, etc.

Most engineers had moved to EB's new building across the river. I was interviewing for a job that wasn't. Was taken to a pretty old and dirty building. The interview was relaxed and fairly informal but a little annoying... my interviewer was eating lunch as we talked. I was also in a suit and tie and was very overdressed compared to everyone there.

Talked about my school work and was only asked behavioral questions. Afterwards I was supposed to go to lunch with someone... only they didn't really plan it out, so my interviewer went and grabbed somebody who clearly didn't want to go, but I got a free lunch and chatted with him anyways. Was walked back to their employment office, took my stuff, and left. Has been 3 weeks and have not heard back.

Other Interview Reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in October 2012.

So, starts off in the office, you have to walk a little bit to get a visitors badge and or fingerprinted. Then you go back and sit in the waiting area with other candidates. Lady comes in and takes all to another room for transcript, passport, just documents. Gives you a folder containing benefits, very useful information, and a schedule is contained in there too. Tour is next, pretty low key and hard to hear the guide, so wait to get outside the manufacturing buildings to really ask questions. After the tour, a bus/shuttle will move you from the Groton facilities to the New London one, where engineers actually now work it appears. You follow the schedule given, usually past lunchtime, I had two interviews. First with my supervisor, very kind person, very relaxed interview. Went over the scope of the company and what they do and the group does before asking any questions. Basic behavioral and situation questions, no technical. Walked through the resume, so know what's on yours and be sure to describe and talk. Also the usual tell me about yourself stuff, no brain teasers or any funny sorts. The second interview was with a third year engineer over lunch, also very relaxed. Make sure to explain if they ask why you choose EB. The staff is very chill and nice, its a casual clothing workplace. After the interviews, a closing is done at Groton. You fill out a survey where 1 question asks your desired salary. Also, don't be afraid to put down suggestions or comments.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize and manage time if you have two projects that have a similar if not the same deadline?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, the offer was made over the phone so I would say negotiation was not really possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in July 2012.

I applied online and got a response withing a month. There was no phone interview. During my in person interview my interviewer did most of the talking. Gave a presentation on what his department is involved in and the basics of how they do it. I was asked a few softball questions like "what attracts you to the company" and other non-technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Like I said it was totally non-technical. A little research beforehand on basic interview questions was the only preparation I needed, and even that wasn't really necessary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in July 2010.

They called me to set up an interview 5 months after I had applied. I went to the interview about a week later. It starts by them taking your cell phone so you can't take pictures. Then you get your fingerprints taken for a background check. This is followed by a meeting where they copy your birth certificates to verify you are a citizen of the U.S.

You go back and one of their employees gives you a tour of the facilities. You don't get to see much because security is tight. I then had my first interview with one department followed by another interview for another department. Then they give you a free lunch. Finally you are asked a few simple questions by HR that don't have any bearing on you getting the job and you go home.

My interviews were very cookie cutter. I interviewed with the engineering heads of each department. Basically the trick is just try to make them like you and make it seem like you're a good candidate. You should know about submarines. You should read the information on the GDEB website. You might want to brush up a little on statics.

Just realize that they need a lot of new hires right now. Don't slack off on your interview prep but don't be too nervous about it either.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. Realize that once you accept the offer you must qualify for an interim clearance. This means your SF86 has to be squeaky clean or you may get denied the interim even if you potentially could qualify for secret clearance.

They are very slow during this hiring phase after accepting the offer. Expect to accept the offer and then find out about your clearance about a month later.