General Growth Properties Unprofessional and Disappointing Interview Questions & Reviews

1 interview

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Unprofessional and Disappointing Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at General Growth Properties in June 2010.

I was interested to interview with GGP since they are one of the largest shopping center developers in America. I had over 10 different interviews with GGP for a Business Development position. Five of the ten interviews were conducted via phone and five were in person since GGP paid for me to fly to their Regional Baltimore Office. My experience with GGP's support staff (HR and admin) was very disappointing and out of all the companies I have been interviewing with, I found these employees to be the most unprofessional.

The admin for the department I was interviewing with proceeded to speak very rudely to me via phone when I notified her that I rented a car when I arrived in Baltimore. GGP HR clearly stated they would not arrange ground transportation for me (I actually thought I heard the HR woman slightly laugh when I asked this) and this was up to me, but reimbursable. No schedule was sent to me in advance and the admin wanted me to take a cab which would have been $120 round trip. I was able to rent a car for $15/day instead and decided this was the best & cheapest route. When I called to give the admin a courtesy notice that I was enroute, she berated me about being on schedule. I kindly reminded her that no schedule was sent and in return there was silence.

Once I finally made it to their Regional office I had five interviews back to back. None of the people I met with had read my resume in advance and two of the five interviewers corrected me about their titles. After hearing their responses to my questions, I quickly realized this company had many, many chiefs and not enough indians. I was actually quite surprised their egos were so inflated given the state of the economy. When I asked the Manager for the position what his biggest challenge was, he replied: "Dealing with internal employees to have to fight to get work done." After hearing that response (which was interview two of five) I knew immediately this was not the right company. Layers of red tape is not something a sales professional wants to deal with, especially if its coming from internal colleagues.

After I arrived home I followed up with HR in Chicago and have yet to receive a return call. I also proceeded to get an email from the rude admin who picked apart my candidate expense report stating mileage to the airport nor the 6am cup of coffee I purchased would be reimbursed. Thanks sweetheart.

Overall I found this company to be unprofessional in the eyes of a candidate. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone I know seeking a job unless they were completely desperate and wanted to shoot themselves in the foot.

Interview Questions

Worked for General Growth Properties? Contribute to the Community!