General Mills Engineering Interview Questions

3.1

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Mills.

First contact was made by a recruiter via email. The recruiter expressed interest in pursuing my candidacy and scheduled an initial phone interview for the following week. The interviewer was very personable and friendly. The interview itself, which was expected to last 30 min but went nearly an hour, was quite informal and laid-back. I was asked four separate (albeit related) questions, all of which were behavioral. I was also given the opportunity to ask several questions. I'd say the breakdown was about 70/30 in terms of the time spent answering vs. asking questions. Some tips for the first round:

- Find a list of commonly asked behavioral-based interview questions. These lists can be very extensive and will include both positively- and negatively-framed questions. Narrow down that list by selecting a small handful of questions (maybe around 6-10) on which to focus.

- When formulating your answers, it helps to use a "storytelling" approach (structured in the STAR format). Not only will this help when it comes time to recall answers to specific questions, it will also make those answers more engaging from the perspective of the interviewer(s).

- Be sure to include an even mixture of the positively- and negatively-framed questions. Try to select questions that demonstrate/highlight your experience with typical, yet important, aspects of most jobs, such as leadership, dealing with conflict/adversity, working as part of a team, meeting deadlines, etc.

- Rehearse but don't try to memorize your "stories." If you have just a couple of relatively significant experiences (professional or otherwise), you'll likely find that they're applicable to a wide variety of potential questions.

Second contact by the recruiter occurred the day after the phone interview. I was informed that it went well and that I'd be moving on to the next round, which was an onsite. The onsite took place less than two weeks after the phone interview. All communication, including the pre-onsite planning process was very straightforward and streamlined. All travel costs, with the exception of out-of-pocket expenses (which were reimbursed), were covered upfront by General Mills. I was responsible for selecting/scheduling my flights, while General Mills handled hotel accommodations and all local ground transportation.

The onsite day started at 8 AM with an IQ/intelligence test. The rest of the day was spent in four separate interviews (2 one-on-one, 2 two-on-one). Each interview lasted about an hour, consisted of about 4-5 behavioral-based questions and ended with a short Q&A session. I found the overall environment (people, office, work culture) to be very welcoming and comfortable. While each interview had a somewhat different tone, all of the interviewers were friendly and easy to talk to. Their enthusiasm for General Mills was quite clear, and they all seemed very happy and proud to be part of the team. There was a one hour group lunch and plant tour halfway through the day. The group lunch provided an opportunity to ask candid questions to current employees and was not considered part of the interview process. At the end of the day, I met with an HR representative for a debrief and wrap-up. I was told that a final decision would be made and communicated within the next two weeks. I ended up receiving a verbal offer the next day, with the official offer coming through about a week later. Some tips for the final round:

- First round interview tips apply here, too. Practice telling stories about your various experiences. You'll be asked the same type of behavioral questions.

- Try to pace yourself throughout the day. While I didn't find the actual questions to be that challenging, the amount of talking/concentration required was quite exhausting. By the time I reached the last interview, I was very tired and felt as though the quality of my stories/answers had somewhat diminished. I'm not really sure if/how the fatigue factor can be avoided but just be aware of it.

- Have plenty of questions prepared that require some thoughtful consideration on the part of the interviewer. This is important. While their questions help them determine whether you're capable of handling the job, your questions help them determine if you're right for it.

- Don't be afraid to admit mistakes and/or failures if a particular question touches upon it. How you handled it is much more important (and revealing) than the failure/mistake itself.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when your actions conflicted with your morals.   Answer Question
Did not negotiate. Initial offer was very generous and highly competitive.

Other Interview Reviews for General Mills

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills in October 2013.

Applied on school website. On campus interview

Interview Questions
    • Two technical questions and the rest are behavior questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills.

Went through head hunter through Monster.com, then a phone screening with potential supervisor, after this was sent a number of personality questionnaires.
    I was then asked to come in for a day long face to face interview with a number of key individuals on the hiring committee. There was also an additional skills test I had to take.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a number of technical questions on how I would solve various issues or cost cutting efforts.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as i wanted to leave my current employer and the offer was very generous with a nice signing bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayaguez, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayaguez, PR

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills in October 2012.

Interview was during a Job Fair on my university's campus. It was a panel interview of two persons. All questions were behavioral: Leadership positions?, How to deal with problems in group situations?, How well do you handle your time?, How you deal with persons that don't share your same vision in work?, How do you handle situations when you are doing a job or task that you dislike or is not necessarily your favorite?, etc. Interviewers were very nice and ongoing.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected question. There were all pretty obvious and easy to answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills in September 2009.

They sit you down with 2 people and talk to you and ask a bunch of questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills in October 2008.

They asked me to elaborate on the leadership experiences I had on my resume. They also asked me to tell them about myself and my internship experiences. 1 week later I was notified I was selected for a 1:1 interview

Engineering Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills in November 2010.

I met the company at the career fair hosted at my school. I was then selected for a 1:1 interview. They asked pretty standard interview questions, and had one technical-based question.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills in September 2010.

Some of the HR people who work there are clueless and you automatically do not get the job if one of those people meets you. The position sounded cool and the pay was good from what I hear, but the interviewer didn't answer any of my questions and was not helpful at all.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in October 2009.

Interview was set up at university. Interview consisted of panel interview, where I was interviewed by 2 people simultaneously.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were not motivated to do the project or work   Answer Question