General Mills Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2015

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills.

Interview

Very nice interviewers, reflecting the culture of the company. There was an info session while interviewers could meet candidates informally, and then 2 rounds of on-campus interviews. First round and second round had similar questions.

Interview Questions

• How do wall street firms value a company like General Mills?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Mills

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills.

Interview

Phone interview mostly behavioral questions, but one technical accounting question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

After sending my resume to several people finally one of their recruiters contacted me and we scheduled a phone interview that lasted 25 minutes. We discussed my professional experience and she explained what the job was about. She then sent me a questionnaire by email that I had to fill in giving more details about my experience and explaining some of my achievements. She forwarded it to the Finance department for them to evaluate if they were interested in having a personal interview.

Interview Questions

• During your professional career, what have you studied or what courses have you attended in order to develop your skills   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Mills.

Interview

Met recruiter at on campus career fair, applied online, and got selected for an interview. Entire process happened within two weeks. Was told interview process is two consecutive days, and then a potential 3rd round would be in Minneapolis. First round is mostly behavioral and then 2nd round would be more technical based.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you applied financial analysis in a prior experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2011.

Interview

Came to our school and interviewed for the first rounds. If you move on, then they send you out to the HQ for the final rounds. I got there on a Monday night where I was taken out to dinner with 2 GMI employees and 3 others who were interviewing for finance. Next day was 4 interviews throughout the day and met a ton of people. Advice: -Talk to as many people as possible to find out stuff about company -Pace yourself

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Mills in September 2011.

Interview

Interview was not very structured, more conversational. Interviewer seemed disinterested in being there. Took a long time to hear back which is usually the case when no offer is extended.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

interviewed by 2 separate people - One Finance Manager and one Senior Finance Manager Started out as informal interview with the first manager talking about the workplace and their career. Corporate culture is discussed up front. Then, he/she will ask approximately 5 interview questions, including the typical situational and behavioural questions. Once that is done, they will exit the room and the senior finance manager will enter and ask you the same questions.

Interview Questions

• Name an obstacle and how you overcame it?   1 Answer
    • If you were the CEO, what actions would you take to improve sales and profitability?   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you had to communicate with different stakeholders who had a vast array of skills and possibly different levels of finance knowledge.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

an intensive interview but still very detailed and helpful. i met 4 people in 4 different interviews. each one with different personalities and different teams. they always tend to ask lots of behaviorial questions and competency based questions. they also want to challenge your thinking outside the box.

Interview Questions

• there really wasnt anything hard. they just do some verbal and numerical testing   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

There was nothing unexpected about this on-campus interview, just your average behavioral interview. Questions were guided more towards understanding your overall thought process and how you go about analyzing information.

Interview Questions

• If you lived on Wall Street, how would you go about valuating a company?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Mills (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

Found the Financial Analyst posting on my university career website. Got first round interview without even needing to network at the information session. The interview was very structured but straight forward. Every candidate was given the same questions to answer. Was told I would hear back within the next few weeks for next steps. Got a phone call just three business days later to go into head office for the second and final round interview. Asked if I wanted to stay in the hotel overnight since there was going to be a mixer the night before where applicants could speak with current Financial Analysts at the company. When I spoke with the people there, they were all very chill and easy-going and I could see myself working there easily. The next morning, woke up bright and early for a 7am intelligence test on the computer at the General Mills head office in Mississauga. Got that done and waited for four back-to-back-to-back-to-back interviews, from 9am to 11am. Interviewers ranged from Controller to Director of Finance to Director of HR to VP Finance. Each interviewer had their own set of questions to ask the applicants. The controller was an intense kind of guy and he asked me these questions: What was your best decision, what was your worst decision, what was your best idea, what was your worst idea. However, the other three interviewers were really chill and their questions were what you would expect of a behavioural interview: What analytical skills do you have? After that, the current Financial Analysts at the company gave the other applicants and me a tour of the company, where we saw the cafeteria and the cool "shop", where you could buy General Mills products at a discount. Afterwards, our designated "buddy" from the company took each applicant out for lunch, and the lunch was compensated by the company. Overall, thought I had great, strong interviews and expected an offer. Didn't hear back for two weeks, until I received an email from HR (an email!!!! not even a personal phone call) telling me I didn't get the position. Sidenote: Apparently the pay at General Mills isn't competitive.