General Mills Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in March 2015.

Met through career fair and applied through school website. Was emailed and was told that I had been selected for an interview. Went in for the interview, very informal, but pretty awkward. Questions caught me off guard a bit. The interviewer was very nice but was typing away the whole time which was pretty nerve-wracking. Was told that I'd know if I got to the 2nd interview (which was the next day) by that night. Did not receive a phone call or email which I thought was very rude, I at least expected a rejection email.

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Mills in March 2015.

Applied through my university. Asked to interview. First round all behavioral, invited back for another the next day. Got through. Then 600 question personality test! tedious. 20 question deductive reasoning test was tough, but doable. Invited to final round at HQ. 3 30 minute interviews with higher level management. Everyone was incredibly nice, very helpful. HQ is amazing. The questions are never tricky or too difficult always straight forward and will work with you to find out more about your answer.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Mills.

Great interview process, very friendly, professional environment. It was a little intimidating at first, but General Mills does a great job at making you feel welcome, and allowing you to be yourself throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • What have you failed at, at what did you learn from this failure?   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Mills.

Met at a campus career fair, applied online, offered an initial interview. They make sure you are okay with relocation and ask you to rank your top 3 location preferences. Pretty general questions. Was invited for a second round the next day with a different interviewer. Also had to complete some personality assessments and interest inventories.

Associate Manufacturing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I applied online – interviewed at General Mills in February 2015.

On site tour and interview process with three groups of leaders / six decision makers. Tour was fantastic. Interview process was round robin method. A bit disconcerting to go through the process with the other two competitors for the position.

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Mills in February 2015.

It was a very smooth process. I applied through our campus career center and received notification that I had be invited for a first round interview. The night before the interview they held an info session to give more info about the company and the position. The interview was very fast and straightforward. Very Kind people.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in working at General Mills and in sales?   Answer Question

Research and Development Scientist I Interview

Found out about the position through a career fair, applied online. In the interview was one on one, about 1 hour, and we covered the basics, some personality and some behavior questions. There were also technical questions. I believe there was supposed to be another interview after this one, but I did not make it that far.

Field Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Mills.

Applied online, Got an email to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview goes over benefits and asks a few basic questions to weed out people. Very vanilla questions, ya know, the same 10 interview quetions every employer since the 80s asks. Basically a test on if you are not completely incompetent.

Next up, interview with manager off site. Fairly informal, but you are expected to look the part. Again, the vanilla questions, but they are worded a little differently. Mostly questions about past experience, things you are proud of, personality related. It was almost insultingly easy. Not sure why people consider this place hard to interview for. It is hard to get hired...but i think it has less to do with the interview and more about company connections/experience/language skills.

You will need to have some knowledge of products and company history. Be prepared with questions. I did feel a bit rushed as they had another candidate coming in soon.

I was told i was a great interviewee, and the guy performing the interview was very personable and nice. They do stare at the computer and type the whole time, but you can glean what they think of your answers based on facial expressions.

Make sure you fit the paint chip of who they want to hire because they value minorities. I did not get hired because I am not an expert Spanish speaker(was informed later). Something they SHOULD have asked before i wasted my time.

This is the first job in which I have made it to final round interviews and NOT had an offer. What they are looking for goes beyond the interview and your looks/personality. I truely believe they had chosen prior to the interview and it was just a formality. I saw the person after me wearing jeans...like you gotta be kidding me.

So all in all, not a bad experience, but not great either. They are super slow with responses(took 4 months total), and being a busy humam, it isn't a good sign that an employer can't manage a response within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I noticed you captained a sports team, what would your teammates say about you?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

You will go through a number of interviews. Typically the interview will include you future direct manager, your manager's manager, human resources and the president of sales. The hiring process does take a little time. The interview process is not too difficult as long as you are well prepared. All in all it is what it is.

Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Mills.

Typical and nothing unexpected - apply, two rounds, offer - know your info, study the culture, be prepared to say where you want to be in five years. Diversity is important at the company, yet everyone seems to be alike. Will you fit the culture?

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite General Mills item? What competitive product should General Mills acquire?   View Answer