General Mills

235 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sourcing Intern Interview

Sourcing Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at General Mills.

Interview Details – On campus interview. First round was fun and the questions weren't too challenging. Personality and logic test the next morning, and second round interviews the following day. Second round interview questions were very challenging. Heard back with an offer about a week later.

Lots of scenario questions. Wanted to hear answers in CAR form (context, action, resolution/result).

Interview Question – You are now in charge of sourcing dairy from China, what would you consider and what plan would you implement?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Business Management Associate Intern Interview

Business Management Associate Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Mills in October 2013.

Interview Details – First round interview on campus through university. All behavioral questions such as recall a time where you had difficulty communicating with another individual etc. Received email that evening about second round interviews taking place the next day. Took a 10 minute analytical assessment on a computer prior to interview. Both interviews were with one recruiter but not the same person twice. Second interview was a bit more personalized. Completed 600 question personality assessment at home that was due a few days following the second interview. Got notice of my offer about 3 weeks later. Completed drug test and background check 1 week following the offer.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at General Mills.

Interview Details – Interviewed for one of their internship positions (Business Management Associate Summer Interns F15 position). Their recruiting process ended in early October, and was extremely short. First round and second round interviews were 24 hours apart. Offers were given afterward. Keep this in mind and research their campus recruiting in advance if you really want to work for General Mills. Compared to most internships, this is pretty early.

Interview Question – What are your career goals in the next five years?   View Answer

Logistics Management Associate Interview

Logistics Management Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Mills.

Interview Details – First interview was on campus after campus career fair. Interviewed with a team of two. Lasted for about 45 min. Questions ranged from Interests in the field to explaining a time I stepped up to take leadership in a role. It was like a conversation style than otherwise. I was notified about second round 3 weeks later. A previous LMA took a group of us to dinner before the Monday interview. There were four candidates, we had a good time over dinner. It's a casual dinner so don't over do it (dress casual). Don't try to throw the other person under the bus, just be you.
  Second interview was on a Monday, started at 7.45am. We were at the HQ in Mpls, we had a test to answer 50 questions under 12 minutes (I got to 45 questions). We had free breakfast with another LMA who explained further about his experience with GMI. He was open to questions, and made us very comfortable. Interviews commenced after breakfast, I interviewed with team members in Logistics, Transportation & HR. Each session lasted about 1.5 hrs. After two sessions, we had lunch at the world class cafeteria with another LMA who made us feel more comfortable. We had another two 1.5hr round interview. So 4 sessions in total approx 1.5hr each,
  There were lots of questions on leadership, ethics, strategy and judgement of character. Try to establish a conversational relationship with the interviewer than giving a yes-no answer. Elaborate more on your STAR approach than normal. Ask meaningful questions that show your interest in the company & role. Being up to date with what's going in the CPG industry, risks or struggles they face will give you some talking points. Be cheerful, and deepen conversations with the interviewer that will help them remember you. I got an offer 3 hours later but could take up to 2 weeks in general.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you compromised on your ethics.   View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Mills.

Interview Details – Phone interview mostly behavioral questions, but one technical accounting question

Customer Specialist Interview

Customer Specialist
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at General Mills in December 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was over the phone. HR rep explained the duties and compensation then asked basic questions about my background and qualifications.

Interview Question – Have you been interviewing with other companies and/or have any offers on the table? I wasn't sure what to say because answering either yes or no could have negative implications.   View Answer

Cereal Maintenance Technician Interview

Cereal Maintenance Technician
Albuquerque, NM

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at General Mills in January 2010.

Interview Details – Long process with several tests, including troubleshooting, psychological, math, and personality tests; only about 1- 5% of applicants get hired. Team building test involving building a box in a team environment and evaluated by several team members. It took several months to get hired. Also, included drug test and background check.

Interview Question – Asked about electrical troubleshooting but did not have experience in that field.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation

Business Management Associate Interview

Business Management Associate
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Mills.

Interview Details – First Round- on campus interview
Second Round- on campus interview - personality and iQ tests
Final Round- office visit in MN.

Offer made a month after the office visit.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you missed a deadline and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Mills.

Interview Details – First contact was made by a recruiter via email. The recruiter expressed interest in pursuing my candidacy and scheduled an initial phone interview for the following week. The interviewer was very personable and friendly. The interview itself, which was expected to last 30 min but went nearly an hour, was quite informal and laid-back. I was asked four separate (albeit related) questions, all of which were behavioral. I was also given the opportunity to ask several questions. I'd say the breakdown was about 70/30 in terms of the time spent answering vs. asking questions. Some tips for the first round:

- Find a list of commonly asked behavioral-based interview questions. These lists can be very extensive and will include both positively- and negatively-framed questions. Narrow down that list by selecting a small handful of questions (maybe around 6-10) on which to focus.

- When formulating your answers, it helps to use a "storytelling" approach (structured in the STAR format). Not only will this help when it comes time to recall answers to specific questions, it will also make those answers more engaging from the perspective of the interviewer(s).

- Be sure to include an even mixture of the positively- and negatively-framed questions. Try to select questions that demonstrate/highlight your experience with typical, yet important, aspects of most jobs, such as leadership, dealing with conflict/adversity, working as part of a team, meeting deadlines, etc.

- Rehearse but don't try to memorize your "stories." If you have just a couple of relatively significant experiences (professional or otherwise), you'll likely find that they're applicable to a wide variety of potential questions.

Second contact by the recruiter occurred the day after the phone interview. I was informed that it went well and that I'd be moving on to the next round, which was an onsite. The onsite took place less than two weeks after the phone interview. All communication, including the pre-onsite planning process was very straightforward and streamlined. All travel costs, with the exception of out-of-pocket expenses (which were reimbursed), were covered upfront by General Mills. I was responsible for selecting/scheduling my flights, while General Mills handled hotel accommodations and all local ground transportation.

The onsite day started at 8 AM with an IQ/intelligence test. The rest of the day was spent in four separate interviews (2 one-on-one, 2 two-on-one). Each interview lasted about an hour, consisted of about 4-5 behavioral-based questions and ended with a short Q&A session. I found the overall environment (people, office, work culture) to be very welcoming and comfortable. While each interview had a somewhat different tone, all of the interviewers were friendly and easy to talk to. Their enthusiasm for General Mills was quite clear, and they all seemed very happy and proud to be part of the team. There was a one hour group lunch and plant tour halfway through the day. The group lunch provided an opportunity to ask candid questions to current employees and was not considered part of the interview process. At the end of the day, I met with an HR representative for a debrief and wrap-up. I was told that a final decision would be made and communicated within the next two weeks. I ended up receiving a verbal offer the next day, with the official offer coming through about a week later. Some tips for the final round:

- First round interview tips apply here, too. Practice telling stories about your various experiences. You'll be asked the same type of behavioral questions.

- Try to pace yourself throughout the day. While I didn't find the actual questions to be that challenging, the amount of talking/concentration required was quite exhausting. By the time I reached the last interview, I was very tired and felt as though the quality of my stories/answers had somewhat diminished. I'm not really sure if/how the fatigue factor can be avoided but just be aware of it.

- Have plenty of questions prepared that require some thoughtful consideration on the part of the interviewer. This is important. While their questions help them determine whether you're capable of handling the job, your questions help them determine if you're right for it.

- Don't be afraid to admit mistakes and/or failures if a particular question touches upon it. How you handled it is much more important (and revealing) than the failure/mistake itself.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when your actions conflicted with your morals.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. Initial offer was very generous and highly competitive.

Business Management Associate Interview

Business Management Associate

Interviewed at General Mills

Interview Details – Interviewed through my university. First round included a series of behavioral questions (30 min) and that night we found out if we got second round interviews.

Second round consisted of a hour of assessments (behavioral and analytical) and another 30-min behavioral interview. Was told that we were going to hear about third round by the end of the weekend. I ended up waiting for over 2 weeks before hearing any news.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions.   Answer Question