General Mills

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

3.2

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

Got an on campus interview scheduled for two weeks after the career fair. Interview questions were split 50/50 between general information questions and behavioral based questions. Interview experience was very pleasant for me but despite my best efforts and a great interview performance, I was not asked to come back for the second round. Great company with a great culture. If you have anything below a 3.4 GPA, don't fool yourself into thinking you have a chance. This is an extremely competitive position.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic behavioral based questions. Tell me about a time you used data extraction to support a claim, what happened and what was the outcome of the situation?   Answer Question

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

There was an information session, and then the next day I had a one-on-one interview. They mostly asked situational and behavioral questions. (time you failed at something, how you would handle a disagreement with a coworker, etc.) It lasted about thirty minutes. They emailed their decision a few days later. Overall the process was good, I did not get the position, but the recruiters were nice and they were responsive to emails and other questions.

Interview Questions
    • A situation where I analyzed data, and what did I find   View Answer

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

1. Resume drop on university career website
    2. Interview time selection if resume is passed through their preliminary screening
    3. Information session
    4. First round interview just 1 day after info session, with invitations extended to those who moved on to second round later that evening
    5. Second round interviews just 1 day after the first interview
    6. Two career assessments due just 3 days later

Interview Questions
    • What three things do you want in life 5 years down the road?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

The interviewing process starts with an Information Session, with a cheesy, flash based powerpoint delivered by a current Business Management Associate. During the presentation the Associate attempts to involve the audience with questions and the other employees try and offer their unsolicited advice. This part of the interviewing process is boring and the cautionary tales of General Mills asking interviewees not to "waste our time and yours" is gutless and needless.

The interviews begin with you sitting in a holding room, with a few other interviewees. You talk with some other recruiters about anything, and this part helps to reduce the stress and pressure of the interview. Then you are collected by a recruiter and the interview begins in another room. The interview is not difficult, but the interviewer is typing away on the computer the entire time, which is distracting and makes it seem like you're lecturing.

After that, you're summoned to do a second round of interviews the next day, which goes similarly to the first day, but with General Mills' IQ type test. And after that you get flown to the center, which you specify or is the best fit for your interests. The last round interviews are fun and getting to know the people in the office.

I felt like I would get trapped in the hierarchy of General Mills and further investigation into the position made me think that the Business Management Associate job was just a glorified sales job.

Pre-Interview:
    I applied through my university. I originally found out about the position through the career fair and was invited to an info session where they cover "what is General Mills," present an overall idea of what the internship is like, and brought in interns from the previous year to speak about their experience. By this time we were supposed to make sure we had an interview scheduled. They verified that everyone who was in the room was on the list, so everyone had a fair shot.

Interview Process:
    The interview process is actually extremely short, probably shorter than any other company I've heard of (which is important if you're considering multiple offers and General Mills is among your options). My first round interview was actually very relaxed. My interviewer asked the standard questions, "Name a time when you...," "What makes you different than other applicants," etc. The entire time they're taking notes on your answers (like any interview), so don't feel like you're doing poorly if they don't make eye contact. They're trying to help your application by taking down what you say. My advice for this first round interview - nail your B.A.R./S.T.A.R. method. For the "name a time," be able to wrap up the question with a background, action, and RESULT (bar). A lot of the questions are behavioral in nature, so research behavioral questions online and practice answering those to nail first round. At least in my case.

From there, I was to find out within 24 hours if I got second round interviews. The email would've been sent out in the afternoon after having morning interviews, and, if we were chosen, we were to pick a time slot for second round by 8pm that night. This is a crucial element. If they say, "check your email," check your email. So, you pick a slot, they tell you where it'll be, and it's your job to make it. You'll also have three personality-type indicators to take, which they'll give you around this time, if I'm not mistaken. The deadline to finish these is past the second round interview, but you will have to set aside time to complete them.

The second round interview was MUCH tougher. I won't give away too much, but make sure you prepare for this one! If you're reading this, you're already halfway there. Another thing, look at the handout they give you. They tell you they're looking for people with __ skills, ___ skills, and __ skills. Make sure a percentage of your answers incorporate what they tell you in print what they're looking for. It doesn't hurt to mention the words, either. To continue, almost all of the second round questions were negative in nature (i.e., "Name a time where you failed," "Name a time where you quit something"). Imagine my shock. This isn't your chance to come out looking like a saint, just be honest. Also, make sure you don't blame other people for your failures. Use this time to stress what you learned from the experiences, but give a clear enough picture to show how you failed and what you did to better yourself from it, don't just glaze over the bad and not answer the question. Don't be afraid to take your time and think about a solid answer first. Just acknowledge the good question and let the interviewer know you need a second to let you think of a response so there's not awkward silence.

Post-Interview:
    I was told within 1-2 weeks I would receive a final answer. I actually got a response days later. I am new to the process, so it could take anywhere between days and weeks, "results may vary." They call you if you got it, and they email you if you did well, but it wasn't the best fit. You will have some contingencies to clear if you get it. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time where you gave up on something and quit."   View Answer

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

Went through university recruiting process. I had attended a career fair and talked to the recruiter and left my resume. I was contacted about their Meet & Greet session and was invited to apply to the position. I went to the mandatory information session that they had the night before the first round interviews. That night I got invited to the second round which was the next day. I also had to take their deductive reasoning test and personality assessments. Their deductive reasoning test was the hardest thing I ever took. Extremely frustrating and I think that preparation is definitely needed. Both interviews are behavioral. Unfortunately I was not invited to the final round that would have been at one of their business centers. Great people though and smooth process!

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't too difficult. Use the STAR method and really prepare for any question. They ask all types of questions in both interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Applied through school. Attended info session and career fair. Then Preselect info session. There is a greeting room. Interview was straight forward & had personal talk with greeters and interviewers. Tell you a lot about the company and position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you didn't know how to solve a problem   Answer Question

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills.

I interview through my school. They have 2 interviews and a sales pitch. Asked many different behavioral questions about experiences that relate to the job description. Like using data to make decisions or drafting a project. How well you work in a team and what's your role.

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills.

I attended a career fair at my university and was offered an informal interview after the recruiter looked over my resume. The interview was very laid-back. It was almost entirely behavioral questions following the STAR method. They just wanted to get a feel for how a candidate would react in different scenarios. The interview was just a pre-screening procedure as I was not applying for a job/internship at that time. They just wanted to get me into their system.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult. Just the standard "tell me about a time where you failed" kind of questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Mills in September 2014.

Applied through campus career center for an interview. 5 Days after sending in application, I was invited for an on campus interview. They gave me a 30 minute time slot, with two interviewers, who took turn asking me technical and behavioral questions. Interviewers feverishly took notes, writing down almost everything I said.

Interview Questions
    • What are 3 of the biggest challenges facing a processed food company like General Mills?
      If the price of flour rises, how does this affect General Mills?

Answer Question