General Mills Interview Questions

3.2

Integrated Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

The interview process was a set of rigid questions, ranging from behavioral to marketing-type questions. It definitely required a lot of knowledge about General Mills' brands since they asked brand-specific marketing questions. Overall one of the harder interviews I have done. It was a 2 panel-style interview. The staff was very friendly but this required a lot of preparation. Show that you are passionate about CPG and the food industry, and that you love General Mills products. They love to promote from within and hire the top students.

Interview Questions
    • How would you market nature valley with the insight that people who like nature valley are very outdoorsy?   Answer Question
    • What was a time when you had to network to help a presentation?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had a very unpopular idea and how did you gain support for this idea?   Answer Question
    • What is an advertising campaign that you think is really good ?   Answer Question
    • What are some marketing strategies other than commercials and advertising?   Answer Question

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

1. Resume drop on university career website
    2. Interview time selection if resume is passed through their preliminary screening
    3. Information session
    4. First round interview just 1 day after info session, with invitations extended to those who moved on to second round later that evening
    5. Second round interviews just 1 day after the first interview
    6. Two career assessments due just 3 days later

Interview Questions
    • What three things do you want in life 5 years down the road?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

The interviewing process starts with an Information Session, with a cheesy, flash based powerpoint delivered by a current Business Management Associate. During the presentation the Associate attempts to involve the audience with questions and the other employees try and offer their unsolicited advice. This part of the interviewing process is boring and the cautionary tales of General Mills asking interviewees not to "waste our time and yours" is gutless and needless.

The interviews begin with you sitting in a holding room, with a few other interviewees. You talk with some other recruiters about anything, and this part helps to reduce the stress and pressure of the interview. Then you are collected by a recruiter and the interview begins in another room. The interview is not difficult, but the interviewer is typing away on the computer the entire time, which is distracting and makes it seem like you're lecturing.

After that, you're summoned to do a second round of interviews the next day, which goes similarly to the first day, but with General Mills' IQ type test. And after that you get flown to the center, which you specify or is the best fit for your interests. The last round interviews are fun and getting to know the people in the office.

I felt like I would get trapped in the hierarchy of General Mills and further investigation into the position made me think that the Business Management Associate job was just a glorified sales job.

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills in October 2014.

There was an information session, and then the next day I had a one-on-one interview. They mostly asked situational and behavioral questions. (time you failed at something, how you would handle a disagreement with a coworker, etc.) It lasted about thirty minutes. They emailed their decision a few days later. Overall the process was good, I did not get the position, but the recruiters were nice and they were responsive to emails and other questions.

Interview Questions
    • A situation where I analyzed data, and what did I find   View Answer

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills.

I interview through my school. They have 2 interviews and a sales pitch. Asked many different behavioral questions about experiences that relate to the job description. Like using data to make decisions or drafting a project. How well you work in a team and what's your role.

Business Management Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills.

I attended a career fair at my university and was offered an informal interview after the recruiter looked over my resume. The interview was very laid-back. It was almost entirely behavioral questions following the STAR method. They just wanted to get a feel for how a candidate would react in different scenarios. The interview was just a pre-screening procedure as I was not applying for a job/internship at that time. They just wanted to get me into their system.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult. Just the standard "tell me about a time where you failed" kind of questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Mills in September 2014.

Applied through campus career center for an interview. 5 Days after sending in application, I was invited for an on campus interview. They gave me a 30 minute time slot, with two interviewers, who took turn asking me technical and behavioral questions. Interviewers feverishly took notes, writing down almost everything I said.

Interview Questions
    • What are 3 of the biggest challenges facing a processed food company like General Mills?
      If the price of flour rises, how does this affect General Mills?

Answer Question

LMA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills in September 2014.

I gave my resume to a recruiter at an info session and I unsuspectingly got an email asking for an interview the next day. The first interview was very typical and a lot of "give me a time when..." questions. Experience was very beneficial to this interview. I was then asked to come to the second round of interviews which were two days after. The second round consisted of a 12 minute assessment of matching, vocab, and visionary testing. Later that day we had the second interview with a different recruiter that was energetic and fun to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you had to work with and adjust to your team members ways.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Mills in August 2014.

They called a week later, had a phone call interview with the hiring manager of the plant. They asked technical questions that was related to the plant. They told me they would forward their recommendations to HR

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were behavior questions related to production. What would I do if I had a conflict with product and how I would resolve the issue   Answer Question

Management Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills.

Very professional and friendly. All HR personnel were extremely helpful and willing to answer any questions. On-site interview was demanding but not difficult. All behavioral type questions and leadership based. Really got a good feel for the atmosphere and culture. Interview on-site consisted of five 45 minute interviews with management and plant tour.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Be prepared to answer the same questions many times.   Answer Question