General Mills

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Communications Intern Interview

Marketing Communications Intern
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Mills in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the marketing communications intern role. After about 2 weeks, I received an email from the hiring manager asking to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was 50% behavioral (your standard: tell me a time when you didn't get along with your team, how did you deal with it and what was the outcome) and 50% "technical" (what would you add to Bisquick to make it appeal more to consumers; what type of promotion would you throw for Buzz Bee's X anniversary and things like tell me the difference between promotions and advertising). The interviewer was a promotions manager and he had a set list of questions he had to ask but often times, he would read part of the question and say he didn't like it and then move onto the next one. He was very friendly and approachable. At the end of the phone interview, he told me I did a great job and I should expect to hear back soon. I got a phone call from the same hiring manager on the same day to schedule an on-site interview the following week.

They flew me to HQ the day before the interview. I had dinner with an employee who was there to answer any "off-record" questions I had. She was a senior planner at GMI and was very kind. She gave me examples of the types of questions I should expect and gave me suggestions on how to answer the questions. The dinner really helped calm my nerves.

The next day, I had 3 one-on-one interview with promotion managers. The first interviewer asked questions that tested my creativity/knowledge of marketing. The second interview was mostly behavioral (asked questions like how have you utilized your relationship with outside vendors to achieve certain objectives). The last interviewer asked me a combination of both behavioral and creativity/"technical". Before the interview started, I had breakfast with other employees. Between the 2nd and 3rd interview, I had lunch. I also had to take an IQ test and finish a case study within 1 hour. After my 3 interviews, I had a last recap with the hiring manager and we talked about the case study and I explained to her my thought process and clarified anything she had questions on.

I was then told that I would receive a response in 1 weeks time. However, the hiring manager called me after a week and told me they needed more time. At the end, I still received the offer. Everyone at General Mills is extremely kind - all my interviewers emailed congratulations after they found out that an offer was extended to me.

The interview was pretty difficult in that they make you meet a lot of people in a very short amount of time but that is their culture. General Mills is all about relationship building, especially in the marketing communications division.

Interview Question – How have you utilized your relationship with agencies/vendors to achieve company goals?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate simply because I was very pleased with their offer. You need to look at the offer in a holistic view. They provided relocation help and subsidized housing. They also offer everyone in the same position the same amount, so there really is no room for negotiation. They do this for their full-time hires, too.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!