General Mills

3.2

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at General Mills in March 2013.

Working with recruiter. Phone interview with 3 people. They collected their notes with the manager and moved along quickly with a decision the next day.

Interview Questions
    I felt the offer was very good as is so I accepted as is immediately.

Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills.

Submitted resume online and after two phone screens I was invited to interview at the Headquarters in Minneapolis

Interview Questions
    • What trend or fads are currently relevant to 5-8 year olds?   Answer Question

IT Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in February 2013.

The position was posted in November 2012 and applied for it in Mid-December. The recruiter was very nice and responsive. I followed up with her many times and she responded to my questions. I got an email in mid Jan 2013 that I have been selected for phone interview. It was scheduled for next week. After the phone interview, the recruiter contacted me the next day to schedule on-site interview for next two weeks. I had my interview on Thursday and got the offer on Monday morning

Interview Questions
    • What would you like to bring to General Mills?
      Explain any leadership experience you had?
      Why should I hire you over other candidates?
      Explain any technological revolutions in your time that has affected not only consumers but suppliers, and companies?

Answer Question
    They were pretty reasonable along with benefit package and incentive plans

Logistics Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills.

I submitted my resume online and was contacted by the recruiter in charge of the position via phone. Did a phone interview with him, which took about an hour. He asked questions regarding my resume, why I wanted to work for General Mills, and what interested me about the position. After the interview, he wanted me to have a 2nd phone interview with someone who had been through the program before.

The 2nd phone interview happened around 2 weeks after the 1st interview. It was all behavioral based questions. Again, took about an hour with him asking questions for 30 minutes or so and me asking him questions the rest of the time.

The interviewer said they would get back to me within 2 weeks but I heard back regarding a final interview after 2 days. I had to take 2 short assessments before the final interview. First one was just a personality test and the second one was about morals and values. Took about 40 minutes. Nothing to worry about. Just testing you to see if there are any red flags for HR to worry about and they're looking to see if you fit with the company or not. Can't really try to purposely make your answers fit to what they're looking for so just be honest.

The final interview was at General Mills HQ in Minnesota. They flew me out the night before and a recent graduate of the LMA program took me out to dinner. The dinner wasn't part of the interview but think of it as an informal evaluation. If you raise red flags during the dinner, I'm sure they will take that into consideration. Next day, the interview process started around 8 with breakfast. Again, this was with a recent graduate of the program. 45 minutes for breakfast and then two 45 minute interviews with 15 minute breaks in between. 45 minute lunch with a different graduate of the program and then had to take an assessment. Assessment is your general cognitive assessment/aptitude test. There are 3 types of questions: Numerical, Verbal, and Abstract. Take some practice exams online if you want but this wasn't difficult by any means. You get 12 minutes to try and answer 50 questions. No calculators. The instructions even say that you probably won't finish. I got through 40 some questions. You're looking to hit at least the average score. Obviously, the better you do, the better it looks for you. Another two 45 minute interviews with 15 minute breaks in between. All the interviews were behavioral type interviews. At the end, you meet up with the recruiter to wrap up the day. The interviews started around 8 and ended around 2:30. The recruiter told me I'd hear back within 2 weeks. They called me after 3 hours that day and the recruiter gave me a verbal offer. The actual offer came through their website on my application the next day. I don't think this quick turn around happens very often though. The entire interview process took about a month.

The interviews are with people who have been part of the Logistics Department and with General Mills for a long time. The 2nd to last interview was with someone who was part of helping the department train their employees. The last interview was with the person in charge of the whole program.

Some tips:
    Know your resume. They ask you questions regarding your resume and expect you to refer back to it when you're answering questions.
    Think of examples related to how small pieces fit to make the big picture.
    They emphasize being able to develop relationships with people quite strongly because that's how the company functions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't practice what you preached.

Tell me about a time when a deadline for a project was suddenly moved up. How did you deal with it and what was the result?

Tell me about a time when you were willing to disagree with someone to bring a better solution.

What's the best accomplishment you have ever had? What were some obstacles and what did you do to achieve it?

What's the most creative solution you ever provided for a problem?

Tell me about a time when you were doing your job and you took a step back to see the big picture and saw that you were about to make a mistake. How did you stop yourself from making that mistake?

Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. It's a very generous offer in terns of both salary and benefits. Received a signing bonus and something called a location bonus for choosing one of their more rural locations.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills.

Went through head hunter through Monster.com, then a phone screening with potential supervisor, after this was sent a number of personality questionnaires.
    I was then asked to come in for a day long face to face interview with a number of key individuals on the hiring committee. There was also an additional skills test I had to take.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a number of technical questions on how I would solve various issues or cost cutting efforts.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as i wanted to leave my current employer and the offer was very generous with a nice signing bonus.

Business Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills.

Applied online then about 3 weeks later was asked to fill out a questionnaire. About 2 weeks after the questionnaire I had a phone screen and another 2 weeks after that I was flown into Minneapolis for final face to face interviews and assessments.

Although the process was tedious, I was surprised by how generally simple it was. Both the phone screen and in person interviews asked a lot of the same questions that were on the questionnaire - ie, what are your career goals, what are your strengths, etc. Other than that, all the questions were situational and they are VERY interested in your ability to relocate. Relocation was stressed during every step of the process. In this role and to advance your career, you are pretty much expected to be able to relocate every year or two.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills in November 2012.

The role was posted via linkedin, the role peaked my interest and I applied. I was contacted by a recruiter, completed an online an assessment. I was then contacted again to schedule a phone screen with the hiring manager and a potential peer.

After a positive phone screen, I was contacted less than a week later for an onsite which is extremely quick for such a large company.

I came onsite for an interview and completed the wonderlic exam. I was informed that this was "just a part of the assessment process" but I would not be told how i did. I interviewed with 8 or 9 folks then had a followup meeting with HR.

The travel arrangements were very very simple and was one of the most streamlined processes I have been through for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were particularly difficult but many were repetitive from interview to interview.

1.) Why do you want to work for General Mills
      2.) Tell me about a time where you failed and what did you learn, etc.
      3.) What do you know about General Mills

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a 30 minute phone screen. The phone screen was very behavioral and was focused on leadership and conflict resolution. There were also some questions that were department specific. After the phone screen the second round was at the HQ and it was with 4 people. The interview questions were very behavioral and "walk me through your resume".

Interview Questions
    • What is your most significant leadership experience and why?   Answer Question

R&D Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in October 2012.

I had to pass a pre-selection screen to even get an interview, this was completed by resume, cover page, and college transcripts. Once getting the interview, I had 4 days to prepare. The interview took place on campus (it was recruitment through the University of MN Food Science department). The woman conducting the interview was extremely nice and personable. Questions are typical, about how you work, why you want the position, and how you deal with people. Be prepared with your food chemistry knowledge for technical questions. I heard back about getting the internship the next day, if they like you, they'll call you right away!

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest technical problem you had to deal with and how did it go?   Answer Question
    The internship pays extremely well and I did not negotiate a salary. They will not give you your assignment until maybe a month or less before your internship begins so there is not much you can do for negotiating a place. However, you can always tell them your own interests and they are good about taking those into account, it seems.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills in October 2012.

I was given a full day schedule to meet with all the managers the position would be working with. I spent about 1/2 hour with each person and had lunch with the senior administrative assistant who was currently there.