General Mills Interview Questions in Minnesota

Updated Jun 15, 2015

3.2

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2012.

Interview

The role was posted via linkedin, the role peaked my interest and I applied. I was contacted by a recruiter, completed an online an assessment. I was then contacted again to schedule a phone screen with the hiring manager and a potential peer.

After a positive phone screen, I was contacted less than a week later for an onsite which is extremely quick for such a large company.

I came onsite for an interview and completed the wonderlic exam. I was informed that this was "just a part of the assessment process" but I would not be told how i did. I interviewed with 8 or 9 folks then had a followup meeting with HR.

The travel arrangements were very very simple and was one of the most streamlined processes I have been through for an interview.

Interview Questions

• No questions were particularly difficult but many were repetitive from interview to interview.

1.) Why do you want to work for General Mills
      2.) Tell me about a time where you failed and what did you learn, etc.
      3.) What do you know about General Mills

Answer Question

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2012.

Interview

Structured, traditional CPG marketing interview. Be sure you study up on the major trends and the brands that are currently doing a great job at capturing those trends. General Mills prides itself on picking your brain on marketing topics outside of CPG because they like to look at outside brands for inspiration.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 trends in the marketplace you're seeing right now?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a 30 minute phone screen. The phone screen was very behavioral and was focused on leadership and conflict resolution. There were also some questions that were department specific. After the phone screen the second round was at the HQ and it was with 4 people. The interview questions were very behavioral and "walk me through your resume".

Interview Questions

• What is your most significant leadership experience and why?   Answer Question

R&D Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills (Saint Paul, MN) in October 2012.

Interview

I had to pass a pre-selection screen to even get an interview, this was completed by resume, cover page, and college transcripts. Once getting the interview, I had 4 days to prepare. The interview took place on campus (it was recruitment through the University of MN Food Science department). The woman conducting the interview was extremely nice and personable. Questions are typical, about how you work, why you want the position, and how you deal with people. Be prepared with your food chemistry knowledge for technical questions. I heard back about getting the internship the next day, if they like you, they'll call you right away!

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest technical problem you had to deal with and how did it go?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The internship pays extremely well and I did not negotiate a salary. They will not give you your assignment until maybe a month or less before your internship begins so there is not much you can do for negotiating a place. However, you can always tell them your own interests and they are good about taking those into account, it seems.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in October 2012.

Interview

I was given a full day schedule to meet with all the managers the position would be working with. I spent about 1/2 hour with each person and had lunch with the senior administrative assistant who was currently there.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to be in 5 years?   1 Answer

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2012.

Interview

I reached out to a recruiter to express interest about working for GMI. We talked over my resume and why I would be interested in working for the Mill. He set up a phone screen with another recruiter, and a week later I was flying to Minneapolis! At HQ I interviewed with three Director/VP level employees on a one-on-one basis. While there, I also took an IQ, judgement, and personality test. They were fast on the turn around. I had an offer on hand while I was waiting at the airport for my flight. During the time allowed to make the decision, recruiters, managers, and alumni from my school reached out to congratulate me and offer their perspectives. Great people and a great recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• What attribute is most important for an organization to be successful? Provide an example.   1 Answer

As I spoke with others in the role, I realized that my work would be more about executing really well the decisions of others. Other opportunities available to me allowed for greater autonomy and impact.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2012.

Interview

There were 3 rounds. The first round was very brief with two women from the company, the second was more intensive with the same two women, where various behavioral and situational questions were asked to gauge culture fit and and knowledge of marketing trends and strategies. There is a personality type test that is also given, asking many ethics questions.

The final round was on site at a beautiful corporate headquarters in Minnesota. It was a long day, with 6 interviews total and a test/ presentation.

Interview Questions

• What promotional strategies would you use for a Honey Nut Cheerios campaign.   Answer Question

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in January 2012.

Interview

GM recruiters contacted me looking to provide support in marketing, where they had understaffed by about 30%. I had to take a personality test, and an intelligence test. Then, I had two 10 minute behavioral interviews. From my perspective, they were unclear as to whether or not they were hiring contract for hire or contract employees. I also find the recruiting process to be unprofessional. They contact me repeatedly, but don't seem to be aware of it. The behavioral interviews were so rushed, I'm not sure how they determined anything at all . . . or they had already weeded me out and were doing them as a formality, in either case, they were wasting my time.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills (Chanhassen, MN) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview process at the manufacturing plant in Chanhassen, MN is a mess. After our initial phone interview the hiring manager said he would get back to me in 1 to 2 days. I finally contacted him 5 days later. From there an interview was scheduled for me to come on site and meet with him and 3 other members of the team. He told me 3 times he would send me an interview schedule. The schedule did not arrive until 20 minutes before the interview was to start and by that time I was already there and ready to go. In our interview he stated I would hear from him either way at the beginning of the following week (4-5 days). It's been almost 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to improve a process? What did you suggest and what were the results.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2011.

Interview

Came to our school and interviewed for the first rounds. If you move on, then they send you out to the HQ for the final rounds. I got there on a Monday night where I was taken out to dinner with 2 GMI employees and 3 others who were interviewing for finance. Next day was 4 interviews throughout the day and met a ton of people. Advice:
    -Talk to as many people as possible to find out stuff about company
    -Pace yourself