General Mills

3.2

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills in September 2012.

I reached out to a recruiter to express interest about working for GMI. We talked over my resume and why I would be interested in working for the Mill. He set up a phone screen with another recruiter, and a week later I was flying to Minneapolis! At HQ I interviewed with three Director/VP level employees on a one-on-one basis. While there, I also took an IQ, judgement, and personality test. They were fast on the turn around. I had an offer on hand while I was waiting at the airport for my flight. During the time allowed to make the decision, recruiters, managers, and alumni from my school reached out to congratulate me and offer their perspectives. Great people and a great recruiting process.

Interview Questions
    • What attribute is most important for an organization to be successful? Provide an example.   View Answer

As I spoke with others in the role, I realized that my work would be more about executing really well the decisions of others. Other opportunities available to me allowed for greater autonomy and impact.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills in February 2012.

There were 3 rounds. The first round was very brief with two women from the company, the second was more intensive with the same two women, where various behavioral and situational questions were asked to gauge culture fit and and knowledge of marketing trends and strategies. There is a personality type test that is also given, asking many ethics questions.

The final round was on site at a beautiful corporate headquarters in Minnesota. It was a long day, with 6 interviews total and a test/ presentation.

Interview Questions
    • What promotional strategies would you use for a Honey Nut Cheerios campaign.   Answer Question

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills in January 2012.

GM recruiters contacted me looking to provide support in marketing, where they had understaffed by about 30%. I had to take a personality test, and an intelligence test. Then, I had two 10 minute behavioral interviews. From my perspective, they were unclear as to whether or not they were hiring contract for hire or contract employees. I also find the recruiting process to be unprofessional. They contact me repeatedly, but don't seem to be aware of it. The behavioral interviews were so rushed, I'm not sure how they determined anything at all . . . or they had already weeded me out and were doing them as a formality, in either case, they were wasting my time.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills in December 2011.

The interview process at the manufacturing plant in Chanhassen, MN is a mess. After our initial phone interview the hiring manager said he would get back to me in 1 to 2 days. I finally contacted him 5 days later. From there an interview was scheduled for me to come on site and meet with him and 3 other members of the team. He told me 3 times he would send me an interview schedule. The schedule did not arrive until 20 minutes before the interview was to start and by that time I was already there and ready to go. In our interview he stated I would hear from him either way at the beginning of the following week (4-5 days). It's been almost 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything back.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to improve a process? What did you suggest and what were the results.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills in November 2011.

Came to our school and interviewed for the first rounds. If you move on, then they send you out to the HQ for the final rounds. I got there on a Monday night where I was taken out to dinner with 2 GMI employees and 3 others who were interviewing for finance. Next day was 4 interviews throughout the day and met a ton of people. Advice:
    -Talk to as many people as possible to find out stuff about company
    -Pace yourself

Promotions Marketing Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Mills in November 2011.

It was an average experience. I was recruited from campus along with a couple other students from my University but nobody was offered a position. They are very professional but use recycled questions. The interviews early on felt directed and my interviewers seemed interested but all the interviews at headquarters seemed like I was wasting their time. The "campus" is very nice and it seems like a very comfortable place to work but not a top choice for innovative and self-motivated people. Their perks are almost unbeatable but they have to be due to their location. It seems like it would be a great place to work for a short time but the strength of the company is it's long running career track employees, some of which should be reviewed. They ask decently tough questions during the interview but no real curveballs. I was rushed between interviewers because they messed up with timing. Not a company I would want to work for life for and that seems like all they are interested in. Especially for people coming right out of a top University, I'd advise looking elsewhere for a more interactive and innovative first job. Very "kool-aid" culture.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your key insights regarding 8 year olds in relation to yogurt.   Answer Question

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in October 2011.

Met with recruiter at career fair and gave her my resume. They called me back for first round interview a couple days later. That was mostly behavioral questions with a couple business scenario and current event questions. The competition for that was intense but I made second round mostly by differentiating myself through showing passion for my current internship, jobs, and other activities. They are looking for a type of personality, which is basically a personable type A. Second round was incredibly intense. All day, with everything you can think of to do for an interview including case study and IQ. I enjoyed the challenge and I think that shined through. Good luck!

Business Management Sales Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in October 2011.

It was a pretty standard interview. the interviewer started by jotting down some general information about me into her computer and then read from her computer a list of situational questions and asked me to respond. It was a little weird having her type the entire time i was responding but all in all it was a fair interview.

Interview Questions
    • describe a time when you had to confront someone about an issue, and they didn't respond to it. What did you do next and what was the result   Answer Question

IS Developer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in October 2011.

Got the interview through an on campus interview program. Started with asking why I want to work for GM and in this position. Quickly moved into rapid fire behavioral questions, and then a bunch of technical questions (all were the same as questions people on here said they'd been asked). Overall, the technical questions were pretty easy, but the behavioral questions were really quite tough, especially for a college student who doesn't have a ton of work experience. Anyways, the interviewers were both taking notes the entire time, and other than at the beginning, they did not make any eye contact. Even while shaking my hand as I left. It was a weird vibe. 3 weeks later I got an email telling me that I would not be moving forward.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me step-by-step a program you've written that's accessed data from a file.   Answer Question
    • What is a static method, give an example of why you'd use one, and where you have used one.   Answer Question
    • In a try-catch-finally, what is the finally?   Answer Question

Commodities Sourcing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Mills in October 2011.

There were 2 rounds of interviews-

1st round was on campus, pretty typical situational questions, but they threw in a high level case question at teh end, something along the lines of given X situation what supplier would you choose.

2nd Round was a superday at the headquarters in Minneapolis. It was 4-5 interviews i think , with an IQ test and a Case Interview at the end of it. It was tiring, but nothing particularly undoable.

Overall, everyone was pretty nice, they were incredibly knowledgebale in their field though, much more so than expected. They were genuinely good people though and i had a positive experience

Interview Questions
    • If I ended the interview right now, why should I pick you right now?
      What is something happening in the Macroeconomy that would affect the sourcing division and how?

View Answer