General Mills

3.2

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills in October 2011.

I met with a recruiter at a career fair through my university. After giving her my resume and applying online, I heard back from this recruiter several weeks later offering me an on-campus interview.

The interview was very negative for me, and not just because I was not offered a position. My interviewer was running behind schedule, so she rushed through our 1-1, cutting me off on several questions and filling in words she assumed I would say. It was really frustrating and she was unprofessional, even asking me "are you Hispanic" because of my appearance and that I listed Spanish and Portuguese language skills on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a problem, and the form of communication you usually used was not appropriate for this situation.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Mills in September 2011.

It was a two part interview: Behavioral and Technical. The behavioral part was pretty standard, but the technical were questions you either knew or you didn't. The technical was based off your ratings of how well you knew aspects of a language.

Marketing Communications Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in April 2011.

I applied online for the marketing communications intern role. After about 2 weeks, I received an email from the hiring manager asking to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was 50% behavioral (your standard: tell me a time when you didn't get along with your team, how did you deal with it and what was the outcome) and 50% "technical" (what would you add to Bisquick to make it appeal more to consumers; what type of promotion would you throw for Buzz Bee's X anniversary and things like tell me the difference between promotions and advertising). The interviewer was a promotions manager and he had a set list of questions he had to ask but often times, he would read part of the question and say he didn't like it and then move onto the next one. He was very friendly and approachable. At the end of the phone interview, he told me I did a great job and I should expect to hear back soon. I got a phone call from the same hiring manager on the same day to schedule an on-site interview the following week.

They flew me to HQ the day before the interview. I had dinner with an employee who was there to answer any "off-record" questions I had. She was a senior planner at GMI and was very kind. She gave me examples of the types of questions I should expect and gave me suggestions on how to answer the questions. The dinner really helped calm my nerves.

The next day, I had 3 one-on-one interview with promotion managers. The first interviewer asked questions that tested my creativity/knowledge of marketing. The second interview was mostly behavioral (asked questions like how have you utilized your relationship with outside vendors to achieve certain objectives). The last interviewer asked me a combination of both behavioral and creativity/"technical". Before the interview started, I had breakfast with other employees. Between the 2nd and 3rd interview, I had lunch. I also had to take an IQ test and finish a case study within 1 hour. After my 3 interviews, I had a last recap with the hiring manager and we talked about the case study and I explained to her my thought process and clarified anything she had questions on.

I was then told that I would receive a response in 1 weeks time. However, the hiring manager called me after a week and told me they needed more time. At the end, I still received the offer. Everyone at General Mills is extremely kind - all my interviewers emailed congratulations after they found out that an offer was extended to me.

The interview was pretty difficult in that they make you meet a lot of people in a very short amount of time but that is their culture. General Mills is all about relationship building, especially in the marketing communications division.

Interview Questions
    • How have you utilized your relationship with agencies/vendors to achieve company goals?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate simply because I was very pleased with their offer. You need to look at the offer in a holistic view. They provided relocation help and subsidized housing. They also offer everyone in the same position the same amount, so there really is no room for negotiation. They do this for their full-time hires, too.

Business Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills in March 2011.

Two on campus interviews about 45 minutes long. Came back to take a personality test. Then went to Headquarters in Minn to interview. 2 Behavioral interviews. Very nice interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to learn a new type of computer program and how did you use it   Answer Question

Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills in February 2011.

General Mills has 3 structured interviews that cover 3 sets of competencies: leadership, people and technical. In addition they have a personality test which can raise HR red flags. There is an informal off campus dinner before the day of the interview with hosted breakfast and lunches on campus during the day of the interview when they show you around campus and answer your questions. These informal meals are not interviews but the host is evaluating the candidate and may raise concerns if they come up. The day concludes with HR where they cover benefits, that piece is just a quick overview so the offer is understood if extended.

The biggest challenge is adjusting to answer questions differently based on the interview type you are in. If the interviewer's title is Director, its probably the leadership interview. The technical interview will be obvious, the People interview will be the remaining session. Also, adjusting to be fake informal during the meals is important. Pretend to let your gaurd down but never actually do it.

Interview Questions
    • Its all situational "tell me about a time when..."   View Answer
    No negotiation

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills in November 2010.

it was a process. it took quite a few steps. they do it to make sure they are hiring the best out there

Interview Questions
    • how much experience do you have in the technical field?   Answer Question

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in November 2010.

1st Round Behavioral Interview (On Campus), 2nd Round Behavioral Interview (On Campus), Personality Assessment, Wonderlic Test, Final Round Interview (@ General Mills Office). A very thorough process to ensure that GMI are getting the people who are the right fit. They want people who will add diversity while still being able to get along with the "typical" GMI personality.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be okay with not having a voice in the company at the start of your career?   View Answer
    No negotiations

Consumer Insights Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills in November 2010.

I was asked to apply for a job by a recruiter within General Mills. I was called for a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes with the hiring manager, and afterwards was flown to Minneapolis for a day of interviews. Prior to going, I had to take two personality tests online. Once there, I took an IQ exam, and a marketing case study before the interviews began. I had five, 45 minute, one on one interviews and a one on one lunch that was not considered part of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to be creative to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Software Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills in October 2010.

Part one: Had an on-campus interview with two recruiters both working in the IT department of General Mills. I got this interview from speaking with the recruiter at a resume critique and at a career fair. This part of the process involved some very basic technical questions, overall I didn't feel too challenged. Things like What is a static method (C++)? What is the finally part of try-catch-finally (although I pointed out this was Java and not C++)? What are the advantages of using CSS instead of just HTML? Why would you not use tables in HTML for layout? In general I got a good vibe here and it was easy

Part two: flew out to Minneapolis. Went out to eat with a developer and three other intern candidates to ask some informal questions (not part of the interview). Then had four different interviews the next day, plus informal conversations with people at breakfast, lunch, and a coffee break. There was also a standard intelligence test we took (I forget the name but it is very common and athletes take it, I'm sure you can find out, but it's nothing to worry about).

My first actual interview was with two people and it was the "dreaded" technical part. That's how they chalked it up, really I felt it was easy. The questions were pretty simple (no coding). Examples: What is a buffer overflow? Give examples of STL. Why would you use serverside vs. clientside code? Some SQL questions, but I indicated I only had a little informal experience.

Then I met with a higher up who showed me some things he was working on for the iPad. He mostly asked about technology trends I noticed and was kind of figuring out how much I cared and kept up with technology.

The remaining two interviews were the HR style (they thought it was the easy part, I personally disagree, but to each his own). It was pretty typical with things like teamwork, accomplishments, helping others.

Overall, it was a good interview. They treat you very well there and everyone wants to help you. The interviews themselves are pretty standard and I didn't have any challenges.

Interview Questions

On one hand I had a very positive experience. I felt that General Mills treats its employees well and everyone I met was very nice. But, I did have many reservations. For one thing, I felt like I was a small part of a corporate giant, that isn't really where I see myself I'd also like to find a more software-focused company. On the technology side, it felt like they moved at a snails pace, using VB.net and SAP. I'd rather use C++ or C# if going the .net route. In general I didn't feel like there was a ton of openness to adapting new technologies. Still, if you are interested in working in a more corporate setting, or want to move your way up or around the company, they have a ton of opportunities. It wasn't for me.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills in October 2010.

Very nice people, had a great time meeting and interviewing them. Very encouraging and gracious in their decision.