General Mills Interview Questions in Minnesota

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.2

Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2011.

Interview

General Mills has 3 structured interviews that cover 3 sets of competencies: leadership, people and technical. In addition they have a personality test which can raise HR red flags. There is an informal off campus dinner before the day of the interview with hosted breakfast and lunches on campus during the day of the interview when they show you around campus and answer your questions. These informal meals are not interviews but the host is evaluating the candidate and may raise concerns if they come up. The day concludes with HR where they cover benefits, that piece is just a quick overview so the offer is understood if extended. The biggest challenge is adjusting to answer questions differently based on the interview type you are in. If the interviewer's title is Director, its probably the leadership interview. The technical interview will be obvious, the People interview will be the remaining session. Also, adjusting to be fake informal during the meals is important. Pretend to let your gaurd down but never actually do it.

Interview Questions

• Its all situational "tell me about a time when..."   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Technician Interview

Application

Interview

it was a process. it took quite a few steps. they do it to make sure they are hiring the best out there

Interview Questions

• how much experience do you have in the technical field?   Answer Question

Consumer Insights Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2010.

Interview

I was asked to apply for a job by a recruiter within General Mills. I was called for a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes with the hiring manager, and afterwards was flown to Minneapolis for a day of interviews. Prior to going, I had to take two personality tests online. Once there, I took an IQ exam, and a marketing case study before the interviews began. I had five, 45 minute, one on one interviews and a one on one lunch that was not considered part of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to be creative to solve a problem.   1 Answer

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2010.

Interview

1st Round Behavioral Interview (On Campus), 2nd Round Behavioral Interview (On Campus), Personality Assessment, Wonderlic Test, Final Round Interview (@ General Mills Office). A very thorough process to ensure that GMI are getting the people who are the right fit. They want people who will add diversity while still being able to get along with the "typical" GMI personality.

Interview Questions

• Would you be okay with not having a voice in the company at the start of your career?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Software Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2010.

Interview

Part one: Had an on-campus interview with two recruiters both working in the IT department of General Mills. I got this interview from speaking with the recruiter at a resume critique and at a career fair. This part of the process involved some very basic technical questions, overall I didn't feel too challenged. Things like What is a static method (C++)? What is the finally part of try-catch-finally (although I pointed out this was Java and not C++)? What are the advantages of using CSS instead of just HTML? Why would you not use tables in HTML for layout? In general I got a good vibe here and it was easy Part two: flew out to Minneapolis. Went out to eat with a developer and three other intern candidates to ask some informal questions (not part of the interview). Then had four different interviews the next day, plus informal conversations with people at breakfast, lunch, and a coffee break. There was also a standard intelligence test we took (I forget the name but it is very common and athletes take it, I'm sure you can find out, but it's nothing to worry about). My first actual interview was with two people and it was the "dreaded" technical part. That's how they chalked it up, really I felt it was easy. The questions were pretty simple (no coding). Examples: What is a buffer overflow? Give examples of STL. Why would you use serverside vs. clientside code? Some SQL questions, but I indicated I only had a little informal experience. Then I met with a higher up who showed me some things he was working on for the iPad. He mostly asked about technology trends I noticed and was kind of figuring out how much I cared and kept up with technology. The remaining two interviews were the HR style (they thought it was the easy part, I personally disagree, but to each his own). It was pretty typical with things like teamwork, accomplishments, helping others. Overall, it was a good interview. They treat you very well there and everyone wants to help you. The interviews themselves are pretty standard and I didn't have any challenges.

Interview Questions

On one hand I had a very positive experience. I felt that General Mills treats its employees well and everyone I met was very nice. But, I did have many reservations. For one thing, I felt like I was a small part of a corporate giant, that isn't really where I see myself I'd also like to find a more software-focused company. On the technology side, it felt like they moved at a snails pace, using VB.net and SAP. I'd rather use C++ or C# if going the .net route. In general I didn't feel like there was a ton of openness to adapting new technologies. Still, if you are interested in working in a more corporate setting, or want to move your way up or around the company, they have a ton of opportunities. It wasn't for me.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2010.

Interview

Very nice people, had a great time meeting and interviewing them. Very encouraging and gracious in their decision.

Brand Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2010.

Interview

Asked some basic questions concerning what my career goals are and how I would react in certain situations. Interviewer asked if I knew specific Excel and Powerpoint functions. The interviewer was probably 2 years older than me (I am a graduate student). She was pompous and took notes on a laptop the entire time. She did not respond to anything that I said. Later I found out that General Mills did not hire anyone except people who had interned with them the summer before.

Promotion Marketing Intern Interview

Application

Interview

My initial contact was made through alumni contacts in the company. Once my resume reached the Promotion Marketing department I was offered a phone interview with an associate. It seems to me GMI weighs in-house recommendations very heavily.

Interview Questions

• "If you were to include a promotion inside Cheerios cereal boxes would you include a licensed figurine or a Cheerios branded spoon, and explain your logic?"   Answer Question

Bma Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2010.

Interview

The interviewer wanted to know why I wanted to go into sales and what my future career goals are. They asked about my strengths and weaknesses, as well as my motivations for the position in specific. emphasize what is important to you in context of values and don’t be surprised if they are stone-faced.

Director of Real Estate Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2010.

Interview

I was initially informed that they decided to interview other candidates. A week later I received an email from HR requesting a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview consisted of one question that was "behavioral" and three questions that were "traditional" interview questions. The hiring manager was very pleasant. After answering one question I sensed that the mgr was not satisfied with my response so I asked if I could provide a different response, which seemed to be more satisfactory.

Interview Questions

• How do you respond to a customer that might be making a decision that you feel is not in their best interest?   1 Answer