General Motors Associate Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 8, 2015
Updated Jan 8, 2015

2.6

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview

Received interview through a campus career fair. Interviewed with two hiring managers(separately). We discussed my résumé, then they asked a few behavioral questions. Received an offer a week later.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of 2 interviews. The first one was behavioral and the second one was technical. Many others did not take the technical interview if they came from a college in their recruiting list.

Interview Questions

• It was data base related. It was hard for me as my background is in computer engineering not computer science.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I should have.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Motors in November 2012.

Interview

I had two rounds of phone interviews. The first round, the interviewer was well-prepared, although the screening questions she asked were a bit odd.

The second round, the interviewer seemed rushed and was ill-prepared. There was no introduction (I didn't even know what he did at the company until I asked him at the end of the interview; yes, I had to ask him) and he didn't seem interested at all in my background. He asked a few SQL questions and a multithreaded question. The problem was he didn't understand much about multithreading. I gave a simple answer using synchronization and a counter, but he was surprisingly confused. Digging deeper it became clear that he had some canned question/answer and was looking for a solution that used wait() and notify() instead of sleep(), even though his solution wouldn't work.

One of the really strange issues was describing coding questions over the phone rather than using something like collabedit. I finished the interviews quickly and did very well, but they got back to me saying that while they were impressed, they were "moving forward with a select few candidates whose backgrounds are more closely aligned with our current needs". Overall, I can't help but wonder if I was simply used as interview training for their employees. The entire process took 3 days though, so I have to at least commend them for being so quick about it.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions themselves were rather odd. One was "what are the different scopes in Spring". Testing my ability to spout little-known facts isn't helpful to the process. A much better question would have been "what is Spring and why is it useful?" A solid engineer would be able to answer the second question, while anyone that can answer the first is simply good at memorizing things.   Answer Question

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Interview

I was recruited at campus recruiting. Went through a basic screen (non-technical). I made it to the interview and it was largely behavioral, but they did ask about project I had worked on and we discussed technical aspects. No random questions about beam bending or anything, just about what I had worked on and put on my resume. They also flew potential hires out to Michigan, which was honestly a lot of fun and very informative.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe a time that I had to publicly admit to making a mistake.   1 Answer

It was a really really good offer, but I wanted to stay in California.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors (Houston, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Two round interview process. Behavioral rounds, nothing technical. They mainly assess your thinking ability, if you can adapt to different environments, your role in the team, difficult situations you dealt with.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever take any decision against the team and did you succeed?   Answer Question