General Motors Controls Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Controls Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

The hiring process was very comfortable. There was an on campus interview which mainly consisted of behavioral questions. The interviewers were laid back and made me very comfortable.
I was notified via email that I had got the job but was not in the department I wanted, however after a few phone calls they were able to offer me the position. I would defiantly recommend applying to this company as they do try to accommodate your preferences.

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Controls Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in February 2012.

Standard GM interview process that included a STAR personal evaluation. Ask to do a presentation regarding controls experience related to the position. Small tour the facility along with a description of company benefits and what the project is related to. Overall, it went pretty well although there was some organizational mixup at the beginning but was soon ironed out.

The thing that was really disappointing however was the fact that there was no follow up after the interview. At all. The comment I received at the end of the interview was that they wanted to make a decision quickly and that I would know either was within 'weeks, not months.' Well, a few weeks passed and there was no reply. I followed up with the HR coordinator and they tried to get the hiring manager to respond. Long story short, I didn't get any answer at all from GM if I got the position or not. I did several follow ups and it was not until recently (2 months later) that I got a final answer that the position was filled. In my mind this is very unprofessional even if it may have been accidental and colored my view of the company going forward.

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors in June 2010.

I was seated in front of an HR lady and a controls engineer who both had their turns asking me various questions. The STAR system is very key for GM interviews - They ask you about an experience and you must give them the Situation, the Task, the Action, and the Result. It is advised to practice this style of interviewing because these questions far outweighed any technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult co-worker and how you dealt with it.   View Answer
    • What is one of the most involved projects you have been a part of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

Submitted Resume online. I was then contacted a few days later for an onsite interview. The interview was a star process or lominger process interview. The interview was with the manager for the position and an associate. The whole process took a little over 2 hours without a plant tour which does occur sometimes.

Interview Questions
    • Giving answers to scenario style questions that you have to come back to later.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate as i was satisfied with the offer.