General Motors Customer Issue Technical Operations Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

1 interview

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Customer Issue Technical Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in September 2013.

After applying for jobs with GM and getting rejected, I was contacted by a recruiter in MA who thought I would be a good fit for the position for which I eventually interviewed. The job is located in Detroit and would have required me to relocate, which is something I am willing to do. After I agreed to that, he mentioned how moving expenses would be fully covered. This was on a Thursday.

The following Monday, I was offered an interview and it was scheduled for that Friday. GM uses a system called HireVue which allowed me to be interviewed remotely. The hiring manager and another manager interviewed me using the STAR method; a behavioral and situational interview technique.
After the questions, the manager emailed to me some SQL and asked me to write SQL on how to join tables.
Then I was given a complex query to review and asked what information would it show. (knowing nothing about their schema, but only about what I would be supporting, I was able to discern what the query results would show). The interview process took about 1.5 hours.

Overall, the manager was impressed with my resume, skills and experience, but after almost four long weeks of not hearing anything back, I receive an email stating that I was not longer being considered for the position. During that time, the recruiter was not able to provide to me any information regarding the status of the manager's decision.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!