General Motors

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Design Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – There was one interview. Was sat in a group of others who were also being interviewed (for different positions) in a room where a brief presentation on what GM was about took place. Then I was interviewed by two engineers, one at a time. The questions generally took the STAR interview approach.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you had to solve a problem where others before you had failed.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Design Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in October 2010.

Interview Details – 1 day interview
Interview with manager in the moring(Very high technical about car such as how engine work. You need to draw it on blackboard) and Role play interview in the afternoon

Negotiation Details – Negociable

Design Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2011.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by a "Talent Acquisition" personnel requesting for more information. The information was said to be given to the hiring manager for further consideration.
A week later, I was contacted for an on site interview at the VEC. The visit consisted of a brief orientation about the position and then an interview with managers. Interview based of STAR behavioral questions. Really enjoyable interview. Managers were really friendly. A week later, I was offered the position.

Interview Question – When did you successfully mastered a new topic or gained new knowledge as part of project?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors Design Engineer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.