General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details – Meet with HR for a 30 min review of benefits and overview of the company. Switched rooms and was interviewed by two lower level managers regarding my resume and past experience (this part of the process lasted 1 hour). After this section of the interview was over, two upper level managers entered the room and asked situation questions and a number of repetitive questions that were asked by the previous managers.

Interview Question – Some of the situation questions were difficult to answer because of how general the question was.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel the job was a good fit for me after the interview.

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details – I was a freshman at the time and they hired me simply based off my resume, no hard questions.

Interview Question – What is a time you experienced a challenge and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process took over 3 months...that was the worst part of the experience. Made me really want to work there. Great interviewers...up to the last interviewer which was awkward because he was clearly not up to speed as to how long and who I had spoken to.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Production Engineer
Dearborn, MI

I interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – It was only a phone interview and they wanted me to relocate I decided not to persue but the interview went well and was professional

Interview Question – What is your favorite vehicle.   View Answer

Design Sculptor Interview

Design Sculptor
Warren, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2010.

Interview Details – -single interviews mostly to reveal personality and approach to problems. Group interview to address technical expertise. Group of people ask you job related questions as you present a portfolio..
Overall it was very intimidating not really knowing any of the interviewers, later I realized that they were all easy going and I was really psyching myself out.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. One person asked a question the actually betrayed their ignorance of the subject they were supposed to be judging.   View Answer
  • They ask what you would do if you thought you weren't gonna complete something on time.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Downtown sends you an email...you accept or decline. It was pretty exciting, felt very much like winning something..

Very Easy Interview

Agile Process Coach Interview

Agile Process Coach
Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is easy because it is done at a department level. You'll get a response from HR and be interviewed by someone desperate to fill a job. Personality match the untrained interviewer and you are in.

Interview Question – None. Interviewer asked nothing relevant.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – GM does not negotiate. Offers are take it or leave it.

Operations Research Professional Interview

Operations Research Professional
Warren, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – I applied through the INFORMS Career website. I was first interviewed by two Operations Research Directors and then I had an HR phone interview asking HR-related questions. Then there was a full day on-site interview, and that included 2 STAR interviews, technical interview, seminar. In the STAR interviews, I got two choose one from two questions for every question. Each STAR interview was about 1 hour. The technical seminar/presentation had a lot of questions.

Interview Question – Some STAR questions are difficult to answer unless prepared in advance.   View Answer

Social Media Interview

Social Media
Detroit, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Through a recruiter at Aerotek I was contacted to go in for an interview with GM. I arrived at the GM headquarters in downtown and was lead to 17th floor after checking with the front desk. I was given a tour of where I would be working as I entered and exited. The questions they asked were simple and standard.

Interview Question – What is your dream job?   Answer Question

Senior Buyer Interview

Senior Buyer
Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

Interview Details – FAST-By all accounts! Applied online on 6/6/2013. Within an hour after I applied, I was contacted for a phone screen. We walked through my resume, typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary. We talked salary. Then I was advised of a hiring event in Warren on 6/29. Then I was contact about 2 weeks later that I would be interviewing. Among my best interview performance of my life! I was made an offer the following Monday.

Negotiation Details – None. GM typically does not negotiate. Whatever the $$number was pre-interview is what they will offer. I have heard twice where an applicant mentioned another employer offer as way to negotiate, & GM declined. I pushed the phone interview person hard to max my number.

Lead Engineer Interview

Lead Engineer
Warren, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in January 2013.

Interview Details – Lominger Interview process used for new hires

Interview Question – Tell me time when you disagreed with your management and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typical HR hiring process used by large companies

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

General Motors Videos

General Motors – Why Work for Us?

At GM, we believe that striking a positive work-life balance leads to an engaged, productive work force. In fact, we believe that by empowering our employees to explore flextime and telecommuting options, not only can… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors interview questions and advice in Detroit, MI. All 79 interview reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.