General Motors

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at General Motors in January 2013.

The interview process was well scripted. The three people interviewing me asked me to relate situations in my experience on topics such as leadership, integrity, etc. The goal of this technique is to understand not only how you handled the situation but the thinking process behind the decisions I made and more importantly how I developed from those.

This process made it difficult to move the interview from a deposition to a discussion. I had decided before the interview to focus on three key themes that I wanted to relate to the interviewers and while answering their scripted questions I kept returning to those three themes. One of those themes was to demonstrate my leadership experience and another of those themes was to lay out a clear vision of how I would proceed if given the job. The interview went well for me using these techniques.

Interview Questions
  • What was most unexpected for me were the lack of technical questions. Granted that it was a group management position but one of the key elements of that position, in my opinion, is technical understanding. Then heavy hand of the script didn't seem to allow for those types of questions.   Answer Question

Concurrent to this interview I received a raise and bonus in my current position. This note than negated the added difficulties in location that I would have had.