General Motors

308 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details – It was very easy. They only did a 1st round interview at my schools career fair. About 4-5 weeks later I got a call with the job offer. I do not believe I was asked any technical questions. They're trying to get the overall IT department up to about 10,000 people. Right now we're at about 8,000. Unless you were with HP, IBM, Dell, or a previous contractor they only want college hires.

Interview Question – Nothing about the interview was difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The money was more than expected, so I gladly accepted.

Design Release Engineer Interview

Design Release Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Got an on-site interview right off the bat. Interviewed with about 5 other DRE's and they all wanted to hire me. They asked about my past experiences and how it'll translate into my new role

Design Release Engineer Interview

Design Release Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interview about about an hour. Asked questions from interview posted on website. Know Lominger competences and have a scenario prepared for each. STAR format with what you learned and how to apply it

Interview Question – Since I answered every question in the guide so nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Assembly Line Worker
Lockport, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Drug test. Physical test. Written test. (same day as physical) 2-3 paid days of video watching and important management there speak a hire class of around 20-ish, then on the job training.

Interview Question – When do we become full time employees instead of temps?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Roswell, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring Process Took around 3 weeks.
I was 1st contacted by a GM recruiter where he did a screening to see if I was qualified outside of my resume. Afterwards in 5 days I interviewed with the hiring manager in Detroit via the phone. Questions were very direct and the manager knew who/what he was looking for in a candidate. I think had a face to face via Virtual Webcam with Hiring Manager and supervisor. Both sessions were 1 hour long. Finally Hiring manager advised me a decision would be made in about 3 business days. I then got a call back in about 1 hour offering me the job. Seamless process with a great company that knew who and what they were looking for.

Interview Question – None. All standard questions for the business analyst profession.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't have to negotiate. Offer was well above my asking so I was very satisfied.

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – I got a callback from a recruiter seem to pretty impressed with me. It wasn't for a few weeks that I found out they were canceling the job. The interview probably took about fifteen minutes. He said he would give my interview to hiring manager but nothing came of it.

Interview Question – What so you know about engine controls ?   Answer Question

Assembler/Worker SPO Plant Interview

Assembler/Worker SPO Plant
Brandon, MS

I applied in-person and the process took 10 months - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Put in application in August 2013. Never heard anything until June 2014. Just got a call from them unexpectedly. Had a job already but went ahead and told them I was still interested. They set up appointment for test & phone interview. Went to company to do a stimulation test and a written multiple choice test. Had a 10 minute phone interview. Waiting on call for drug test.

Interview Question – 2 questions (tell me about a time) had to change routine
3rd was a hypothetically... 5 people, 5 stations, had to rotate, 1 person slowed down production, tell me how you would handle it
  View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details – Meet with HR for a 30 min review of benefits and overview of the company. Switched rooms and was interviewed by two lower level managers regarding my resume and past experience (this part of the process lasted 1 hour). After this section of the interview was over, two upper level managers entered the room and asked situation questions and a number of repetitive questions that were asked by the previous managers.

Interview Question – Some of the situation questions were difficult to answer because of how general the question was.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel the job was a good fit for me after the interview.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Question – Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.

Senior Software Developer – Data Integration Interview

Senior Software Developer – Data Integration
North Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview that was technical...lasted an hour. In person interview followed a couple of weeks later. Company overview with an HR person followed by two interviews with managers...about an hour each. As others have mentioned this was more about how you handle different situations...no real technical questions. Nice office space, nice people, but everyone is fairly new. It's hard to tell what the things will be like over the next couple of years.

Interview Question – What would I do differently in a difficult situation that I had just described where I was unhappy with the outcome?   View Answer

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!