General Motors

Very Easy Interview

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Assembly Line Worker
Lockport, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Drug test. Physical test. Written test. (same day as physical) 2-3 paid days of video watching and important management there speak a hire class of around 20-ish, then on the job training.

Interview Question – When do we become full time employees instead of temps?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – I got a callback from a recruiter seem to pretty impressed with me. It wasn't for a few weeks that I found out they were canceling the job. The interview probably took about fifteen minutes. He said he would give my interview to hiring manager but nothing came of it.

Interview Question – What so you know about engine controls ?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details – Meet with HR for a 30 min review of benefits and overview of the company. Switched rooms and was interviewed by two lower level managers regarding my resume and past experience (this part of the process lasted 1 hour). After this section of the interview was over, two upper level managers entered the room and asked situation questions and a number of repetitive questions that were asked by the previous managers.

Interview Question – Some of the situation questions were difficult to answer because of how general the question was.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel the job was a good fit for me after the interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Roswell, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring Process Took around 3 weeks.
I was 1st contacted by a GM recruiter where he did a screening to see if I was qualified outside of my resume. Afterwards in 5 days I interviewed with the hiring manager in Detroit via the phone. Questions were very direct and the manager knew who/what he was looking for in a candidate. I think had a face to face via Virtual Webcam with Hiring Manager and supervisor. Both sessions were 1 hour long. Finally Hiring manager advised me a decision would be made in about 3 business days. I then got a call back in about 1 hour offering me the job. Seamless process with a great company that knew who and what they were looking for.

Interview Question – None. All standard questions for the business analyst profession.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't have to negotiate. Offer was well above my asking so I was very satisfied.

Assembler/Worker SPO Plant Interview

Assembler/Worker SPO Plant
Brandon, MS

I applied in-person and the process took 10 months - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Put in application in August 2013. Never heard anything until June 2014. Just got a call from them unexpectedly. Had a job already but went ahead and told them I was still interested. They set up appointment for test & phone interview. Went to company to do a stimulation test and a written multiple choice test. Had a 10 minute phone interview. Waiting on call for drug test.

Interview Question – 2 questions (tell me about a time) had to change routine
3rd was a hypothetically... 5 people, 5 stations, had to rotate, 1 person slowed down production, tell me how you would handle it
  View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Question – Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.

Senior Software Developer – Data Integration Interview

Senior Software Developer – Data Integration
North Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview that was technical...lasted an hour. In person interview followed a couple of weeks later. Company overview with an HR person followed by two interviews with managers...about an hour each. As others have mentioned this was more about how you handle different situations...no real technical questions. Nice office space, nice people, but everyone is fairly new. It's hard to tell what the things will be like over the next couple of years.

Interview Question – What would I do differently in a difficult situation that I had just described where I was unhappy with the outcome?   View Answer

Packaging Engineer Interview

Packaging Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Uses a talent acquisition to speak with possible candidate. Interview was done via web conference which made it convenient. Asked situation questions, i.e. a time when...
Interviewed with multiple people at once. The whole process from talent acquisition to offer was about 3 weeks. After interview with the group, it only took a week for an offer to come across.

Interview Question – All pretty good but not easy. Using pass experience helped a lot.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accepted and did not negotiate anything higher than offer. Extremely competitive offer based on experience.

.NET Software Developer - Sales and Marketing Interview

.NET Software Developer - Sales and Marketing
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone Interview - This was with the Lead Developer on the team. As others have mentioned, the STAR methodology is used heavily. Very few technical questions, and those asked were fairly basic (Describe the MVC pattern, what is viewstate used for, how would you select only 10 rows in SQL Server).

In-Person Interview - Received an invite for in-person interview shortly after phone interview. Before meeting with interviewers, I was greeted by an HR person who took myself and another applicant to a conference room to watch an intro video about GM. Not sure what it was about the HR person, but he wore me out after listening to him for 15-20 minutes. The video was pretty a much a sales pitch for working at GM.

After the video, I was taken into a small room and interviewed 1-on-1 with a hiring manager. Again, behaviorial questions were asked, very few tech questions. Hiring manager didn't seem interested right from the start -- made me think he was going through the motions and already had a candidate selected.

Second interview was with another hiring manager. He asked very similar questions to the first interviewer and also asked about my experience using certain JavaScript frameworks - Durandal, Node, JQuery, etc.

All-in-all, it was a fairly comfortable experience. Didn't feel like I was being "grilled", as is the technique for many other companies hiring developers.

Interview Question – Tell me about a project where part or all of the project had to be reworked or scrapped.   View Answer

Several Interview

Several
Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details – Pleasant interviewers (4 in two sessions) but they read questions prepared by a consulting/testing company that usually causes qualified candidates to be rejected. Same stubborn, muleheaded company that went bankrupt before.

Interview Question – If you told a lie and were called on it, how would you react?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

General Motors Videos

General Motors – Why Work for Us?

At GM, we believe that striking a positive work-life balance leads to an engaged, productive work force. In fact, we believe that by empowering our employees to explore flextime and telecommuting options, not only can… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors interview questions and advice. All 305 interview reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.