General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.8

Engineer Interview

Interview

two onsite interviews, each one is an hour.You interview with two different managers, STAR is being used to answer these questions. Must be prepared and nothing will be very hard.

Not Specified Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Two 45 min. interviews at my college. I was not told what the position would be. They got back to me in about two weeks and gave me 2 weeks to respond to the offer. The offer was not negotiable as it was online.

Interview Questions

• They asked to give an example of an algorithm to sort a list of numbers in ascending order   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

My interview process was quick, because I had an offer from another company when I interviewed with GM. I got a call and asked if I was still interested in a position. Then my interview was set up for the end of the week and I met with two people who were apart of the department I was interviewing for. Then the middle of the next week I had the job offer. It was really quick and painless.

Interview Questions

• They asked all situational questions then you had to discuss the outcome of that situation and how it effects your current decisions. For example, explain a time when you made a choice where you didn't have enough information. Then, what was the outcome of not having enough information for your decision and now how do you no approach information based decisions.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

Both levels of interviews are the same. They do static behavioral interviewing. I say static because I'm used to a more dynamic interview process. It wasn't friendly at all.

The entire process needs fixed as I received an invite for the wrong job, day, and time; and had other mistakes along the way.

Interview Questions

• A behavioral question, followed by the same few questions that never really applied to my answer/response, such as why I selected that method, what I learned, and how I'd use it again in the future. These didn't apply, were repetitive, and quite frankly the stupidest interviews I've ever had. I didn't say those exact words in the interview but let them know the questions were not relevant to my answers (I could have answered those all the same). They never asked about skills or what I was looking for.

I'd suggest covering skills in phone interview then a dynamic behavioral interview in person, asking about feelings, concerns, etc. that are typically asked in this type of interview rather than stagnant questions that aren't relevant.

Answer Question

Production Group Leader (Supervisor) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Motors (Lansing, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

There were 2 separate interviews on the same day. Each interview was conducted with 2 people asking questions at a time. They use the STAR format with the addition on what you learned and how you applied it going forward. Be prepared to give examples using specific situations. They were more interested in what you learned from the situations. Also ask them questions about the environment which you will work, their experience, future growth and any thing else to aide in your decision making process. You are interviewing them as well so be engaged.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

If the salary doesn't fit, speak up. Don't just decline the offer, or accept it and complain about it. Don't be afraid to negotiate. But remember you can negotiate down not up so start at your higher asking salary. I was able to increase my offer and my current salary.

Design Release Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a 2-hour long video interview. The managers described who they are and what they do First. Then I did my self-introduction. Apparently they have a list of questions they have to go through with every interviewees and no one of them is extremely hard. Read what others say on glassdoor because basically all the questions are covered here.

Interview Questions

• Is there a time you have to challenge your supervisor?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in April 2015.

Interview

I had two half-hour behavioral interviews on campus. It was a pretty relaxed setting with friendly people. Each interviewer had a set of questions to ask with no overlap. After these interviewers I also had the opportunity to speak with the lead recruiter and ask any other questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you attempted a solution to a problem that failed. How did you handle this failure?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I got my interview through my schools career fair. I had two interviews. Both interviews were one on one in a private room. The first was behavioral questions and then 2-4 weeks later the was technical questions given by a gm project manager.

Interview Questions

• Model a list of European cars in kilometer/gallon and USA cars in miles per gallon using the same list.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Process was well streamlined, after being contacted by a recruiter and contacted by someone from talent acquisition to set up a time and date for interview, the process took a little more than a week before the interview. Interview took place with two members from GM's corporate and took just over an hour to complete.

Interview Questions

• The interview was a targeted interview, meaning they focused on your competencies (i.e. trust,being able to learn on the fly, ability to deal with adversity etc.)   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Two round interview. The first is a recruiter. The second is the IT manager. Regular behavioral questions, some technique questions on Java and C, and asked to solve two algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the recent decision you made that you think was wrong, why?   1 Answer