General Motors

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.8

Mechanical Engineer Interview

the process started with a behavioral interview. The interviewer seemed interested but rushed at the same time like he had heard it all before. There were only three questions and it seemed like it didn't really get the entire picture.

Design Release Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

There was an initial 30 minute to 1 hour screening survey that had behavior based question. Following that I had two one hour interviews on site that were a similar style. I was given an offer the same day after the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you had to solve a problem without having all of the information available.   Answer Question

Director Planning/Program Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Most commonly a face-to-face Targeted Interview process is used, typically with two interviewers from the function participating. Two or three rounds are to be expected: the first by a Human Resources business partner, the second by potential supervisor and trusted adviser, sometimes a third by would-be peers. If you are a top candidate, a brief 10 min chat with the functional executive may take place to ensure internal alignment.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you had to go really out of the ordinary to salvage it: what did you do, and why?   Answer Question
    There was not much negotiation scope; folks do not have much room to play with.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Met at career fair and the recruiter was very nice and easy to talk to. Was invited for an interview the next morning on campus. Interview isn't extremely hard but not easy either. They ask you 3 different situational questions and what you learned, how you reacted, etc about each situation.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest for me was talking about a time when I had to learn on the fly   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Asked 3 questions and told me to elaborate on software I have developed. What was your greatest achievement? Etc what was your favorite class? What kind of java programs have you created? Very nice interviewer

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

It was a very friendly and casual interview. All of the questions asked were in the STAR format. The only step in the interview process was an approximately 30 minute phone interview.

Change of major

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lordstown, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lordstown, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Pass a drug test. That's literally all you have to do. Some people got by that. There is a simple skills test, but it's nothing major. There is a small personality test although I couldn't imagine anyone failing. I think most of the process is to make sure you are capable of respecting other people's rights and showing up to work on time every day. I imagine the older people there didn't take any tests like that so they are often difficult to deal with for everyone.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Their way or the highway.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

On Campus (University) interview process. Very straightforward process with many behavioral questions. Asked about previous projects, interests in GM, why GM etc. Asked to describe projects and how they relate to work at GM. Interviews all done using the STAR method. Initial stage was something of a screening step, then asked to interview with managers. Managers conduct the interview and describe the STAR method. They even provide a rubric. The managers are quite nice, very straight forward and helpful throughout the process.

Electric Drivetrain Systems and Modeling Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Very good interview, situation questions. The interviewers were helpful in making sure that I answered the questions correctly. There were a total of 4 questions and I had two 1 hour interviews with two different recruiters. Each of the recruiters had the same set of questions to ask from, so I could recycle some answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you worked in a professional setting with someone from a different background than yourself.   Answer Question

Graduate school

Software Developer Interview

First had phone interview which consisted of questions about my resume and some situational questions. Second, had an on campus interview which followed the before mentioned structure, but they went a little deeper.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project where you approached it incorrectly. What did you do to correct it what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    No negotiation really. I was quite happy with the starting salary. Eligible for raises every 6 mos.