General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Engineer Interview

Interview

two onsite interviews, each one is an hour.You interview with two different managers, STAR is being used to answer these questions. Must be prepared and nothing will be very hard.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for GM?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

It began with a phone screen which consisted of talking about my resumé and what I expected out of a job. The onsite interview was with a group and consisted of three behavioral questions, one exceedingly simple (101 level) code question, and some simple riddles. The interviewers were friendly and helpful throughout the process, though they neglected to contact me and to communicate with me after the fact.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time your results exceeded your expectations.   Answer Question
    • If a lilypad doubles in size every day and fills a lake in 50 days, how long will it take to fill half the lake?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

3 Phone interviews. The experience was very good, the recruiter did a skills review and explained clearly what the process will be like if I got shortlisted. Got interviewed by the Hiring manager. A few weeks later got interviewed by other members in the team. Overall experience was very good, I felt they wanted to respect my time and be decisive on whether they want me or not. Some other companies make you go through multiple frustrating interview loops. So far I can say GM has a lot of class and looks like a great company to work for.

Interview Questions

• Mainly behavioral questions. The answers did require a mix of people skills and technical understanding of the tools and technologies used in the team and ability to come up with solutions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Took the offer.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Consisted of your typical HR phone screen followed by a phone call with the hiring manager. Finally the onsite interview. This consisted of three separate meetings, two with senior developers, one with the hiring manager. Only a few times did the interview get technical, which is only as much as you allow it to get. All the questions asked are behavioral focused, no coding questions or challenges.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you failed to complete an assignment/task?   Answer Question

Information Security Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

On Campus Interview set up through a school career fair. Met the interviewer at the school career fair and had a 1:1 interview the next morning. A very fast, friendly, and efficient interview process.

Interview Questions

• Explain a team project you worked on previously and what role you held on the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The only aspect of the job up for negotiation was the work location. General Motors was very willing to negotiate the location based on personal preference.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The end to end process (first contact to hire) was about 6 months. The process overall was positive; however, it was very obvious that there's a lot of red tape the interviewers must follow. I personally wouldn't let the idea of red tape prevent you from applying - General Motors is going through a massive IT transformation... The tape will eventually need to be replaced with something much stronger.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mainly behavioral and experienced based.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

Interview

My interview process was quick, because I had an offer from another company when I interviewed with GM. I got a call and asked if I was still interested in a position. Then my interview was set up for the end of the week and I met with two people who were apart of the department I was interviewing for. Then the middle of the next week I had the job offer. It was really quick and painless.

Interview Questions

• They asked all situational questions then you had to discuss the outcome of that situation and how it effects your current decisions. For example, explain a time when you made a choice where you didn't have enough information. Then, what was the outcome of not having enough information for your decision and now how do you no approach information based decisions.   1 Answer

Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Over the phone about past work experience multiple questions about how you handled them and what was the results and outcome of how you solved the problem and what steps you taken to solve the process

Interview Questions

• Just general questions about past work experiences and how I handled them   Answer Question

Design Sculptor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

Took exactly 3 months, declined two job offers from other companies while under GM's process. Not something I'd recommend to anyone who just got out of college, but I felt the risk was worth it and I had a good chance. Applied via online after collaborating on an assignment with employees. They shot an email, then preliminary phone interview, then in-person interview scheduling, fly you over if need be, then waiting until an answer. Each step usually took exactly a month (initial interview -> in-person -> answer). There's a lot going on inside the tech center right now and a lot of passing your application around like a hot potato. This is normal. Don't get frustrated, be patient, be grateful, be nice. Every interaction with GM employees has been absolutely positive, I feel the company is headed in a very positive direction and they do pay well. If you've caught their attention, don't take it for granted. Someone here said that usually the longer it takes, the slimmer your chances. This might apply to other departments, but GM is BIG. If you snooze or give up, you might lose a fantastic offer and the chance of a lifetime if you're starting your career and want to settle down. They do use STAR format. In-person interview has portfolio and questions portion. Questions portion was with two managers and they only asked 4 questions, portfolio was in a conference with 5ish people and you present your work while they ask. Just be prepared, practice, look through glassdoor for questions they may ask you, and be presentable. This isn't just anyone looking at your work. Overall, positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions on how you work in team environments. I honestly cannot remember them specifically right now because it was a month ago and the interview was a blur.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I prepared for negotiation but you're actually given three choices. I accepted the third one for paid days off and medical benefits, even if my salary is a little bit lower (so negligible it pays itself off in the long term).

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in July 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume to careers site. A week later received a call to schedule a phone/skype interview with hiring managers the following week. This was a two hour interview with two hiring managers at the time. After introductions from both sides they started asking questions in the STAR format. There were 4-6 questions for each group of interviewers. At the end I had the chance to ask questions about the job and the engineering team. About a week later received call from HR person and I was asked questions about my education, professional experience, and why I wanted to work there. After three weeks I received an offer. Process was pretty smooth and HR is very professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you were put under enormous pressure and how you handled it.   Answer Question