General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.8

Fuel Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

They asked behavioral question using Competency Based Interview Process. Each competency has key behaviors associated with it. In other words, what type of behavior does a person display to show understanding and usage of a particular competency. For example, the competency of functional/technical skills includes the following key behaviors: -Balance between technical skills and other skills -Effort to stay current in field -Excited about technical aspects of work -Spends time acquiring new knowledge -Understands application of skills and knowledge

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation that you were the first person to take an action.   Answer Question

Operational Excellence Master II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

Two hour interview process consisting of two 1 hour sessions with different people. The people ask you questions that you can easily just make stuff up to answer. These were not the typical describe your greatest strengths and weakness type questions, they are very specific to different scenarios. Don't worry how you answer since the offer GM will make you will have nothing to do with your skill set or your experience. I took off a day of work to visit GM based on a preliminary offer estimate which sounded very good, the actual offer after the interview was a joke. Don't fall for this trick!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work with many different cultures?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The end to end process (first contact to hire) was about 6 months. The process overall was positive; however, it was very obvious that there's a lot of red tape the interviewers must follow. I personally wouldn't let the idea of red tape prevent you from applying - General Motors is going through a massive IT transformation... The tape will eventually need to be replaced with something much stronger.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mainly behavioral and experienced based.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Bloomington, IN) in April 2013.

Interview

Phone call to tell me about the job, then set an interview date. I had two back to back interviews with 2 separate IT Directors. The interviews were more of a conversation, with only a few behavioral questions. Didn't have too many technically challenging questions. I didn't hear back from them for almost two weeks. I got other offers and wanted to make a decision. I emailed the interviewer and let them know the situation and that I had hadn't heard back from them. He said they are going to make me an offer and that he will expedite the offer. The offer was more money than the others and at more desirable location, so I took it.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in March 2012.

Interview

Applied online, Got a call within a few days to set up phone screen with supervisior and manager. Got phone screen a day later. Got qiuck response within an hour wanting me to come in for face to face interview a few days later. Went to interview

Supervisor, New Plant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Motors (Lansing, MI) in January 2011.

Interview

STAR - Situation, task, action, result. Multiple interviewers in seperate rooms. Several hours spent. If uncomfortable with question, you can ask for a different question. So long as you stick to STAR format, there are no wrong answers.

Interview Questions

• Diversity related, situation/result, questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

The hiring process is on the slower side from submitting the resume to getting an interview, but once they have made a decision that part is much quicker. The interview questions are about how you would react in certain situations. You are interviewing as they believe you are qualified and they want to determine how you fit into their group.

Interview Questions

• How I would react in certain situations.   1 Answer

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Rochester, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the GM careers website. I was immediately contacted by a hiring manager wanting to do the phone screen that day. Later that day we had a 30 minute conversation on the phone. The recruiter then forwarded her notes from the call and my application and resume to the hiring manager at the plant. The next day I was invited to come in for a face to face interview and plant tour. The interview consisted of the hiring manager, the area engineer manager, and the plant lead engineer. I was asked questions in a STAR format. They let me know after the interview they were bringing in one more person and that they would try to make a decision quickly. I was contacted by HR two weeks later that they were offering me the position.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Quick and simple. Scheduled in a couple of days after phone interview. Received a call in a week after I applied. Interviewed with a few people in the department on the same day and received an offer in a few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flagstaff, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Flagstaff, AZ) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through our career fair. I had back to back interviews and got offered the job a month after. My interviewer was really helpful and asked me additional requirements (if it were to happen) why my gpa would go down.