General Motors

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

1) Applied online
    2) received a request for a phone screen by GM talent(less than 1 hr notice)
    3) after screening **they go over basic background information, salary you want, etc
    4) now your resume is available to groups in GM that are hiring
    5) wait on a interview request
    6) did a face to face as expected it was a behavioral interview about 4 questions with 2 examples of each they are basic behavioral ie) tell me about a time you were given a task without the proper tools, worse job experience, handle time management, tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict at work.
    7) went over job experience
    8) they go over the position
    9) ask questions then end of interview

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to have to give a follow up examples.   View Answer

Director Planning/Program Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Most commonly a face-to-face Targeted Interview process is used, typically with two interviewers from the function participating. Two or three rounds are to be expected: the first by a Human Resources business partner, the second by potential supervisor and trusted adviser, sometimes a third by would-be peers. If you are a top candidate, a brief 10 min chat with the functional executive may take place to ensure internal alignment.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you had to go really out of the ordinary to salvage it: what did you do, and why?   Answer Question
    There was not much negotiation scope; folks do not have much room to play with.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in September 2012.

Two round process -- first is basic focusing on behaviors a lot of "Tell me about a time you had an assignment but didn't know how to proceed ...." Not a black/white or right/wrong but how you approached the situation. Second round is repetitive but does includes technical proficiency.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic really; most people should focus on personal interaction and technical skills.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in October 2013.

School Fair, got interviewed the next day, not very difficult interview, it was mostly all behavioral type questions. Didn't hear back until after Thanksgiving with the response that I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is you greatest weakness and how are you working to better yourself from it?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Asked 3 questions and told me to elaborate on software I have developed. What was your greatest achievement? Etc what was your favorite class? What kind of java programs have you created? Very nice interviewer

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Caetano do Sul (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Caetano do Sul (Brazil)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors.

First contact by phone. Second was to schedule an interview with HR. After that, interview with Manager and Director. In the last phase, during the medical tests, there was a drug test and you are informed about it.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

It was a very friendly and casual interview. All of the questions asked were in the STAR format. The only step in the interview process was an approximately 30 minute phone interview.

Change of major

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Met at career fair and the recruiter was very nice and easy to talk to. Was invited for an interview the next morning on campus. Interview isn't extremely hard but not easy either. They ask you 3 different situational questions and what you learned, how you reacted, etc about each situation.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest for me was talking about a time when I had to learn on the fly   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

On Campus (University) interview process. Very straightforward process with many behavioral questions. Asked about previous projects, interests in GM, why GM etc. Asked to describe projects and how they relate to work at GM. Interviews all done using the STAR method. Initial stage was something of a screening step, then asked to interview with managers. Managers conduct the interview and describe the STAR method. They even provide a rubric. The managers are quite nice, very straight forward and helpful throughout the process.