General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

It began with a phone screen which consisted of talking about my resumé and what I expected out of a job. The onsite interview was with a group and consisted of three behavioral questions, one exceedingly simple (101 level) code question, and some simple riddles. The interviewers were friendly and helpful throughout the process, though they neglected to contact me and to communicate with me after the fact.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time your results exceeded your expectations.   Answer Question
    • If a lilypad doubles in size every day and fills a lake in 50 days, how long will it take to fill half the lake?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online. After about 1 month, I got a phone interview with HR first and then onsite interview with the group and hiring manager after one week. The phone interview was general. HR asked basic information and several questions like what is your career goal. The onsite interview started with a presentation.

Performance Integration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

The Interview process is more behavioral. They want to see how you handle various situations. After interview they do not follow up and even bother to tell you if you have been selected or not. Not very professional for a company like GM.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation with examples where you did a right thing?   Answer Question

Fuel Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

They asked behavioral question using Competency Based Interview Process. Each competency has key behaviors associated with it. In other words, what type of behavior does a person display to show understanding and usage of a particular competency. For example, the competency of functional/technical skills includes the following key behaviors: -Balance between technical skills and other skills -Effort to stay current in field -Excited about technical aspects of work -Spends time acquiring new knowledge -Understands application of skills and knowledge

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation that you were the first person to take an action.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

Three separate interviews with 2 people each that took the entire day. Intense headache afterwards. Each session asked the same questions so I had to concentrate to make sure that I responded accordingly. I suppose that was a way to make sure that what I said is truthful. Nevertheless, an intense headache was present after the interviews were complete.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

There was a series of 4 interviews over a 3 1/2 period. The first was with the initial recruiter. The second was with a team leader in the department. Third was a video conference with hiring manager and another senior person. Up to this point it's been the standard STAR questions that everybody else has reported. The fourth interview was similar to the 3rd but was over the phone and was much more technical. They asked about Java reflections, can you override a overloaded method etc. I don't remember anyone else describing a hard Java grilling. But obviously I didn't do well because the next day I got a rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you or someone on your team failed and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Over the phone about past work experience multiple questions about how you handled them and what was the results and outcome of how you solved the problem and what steps you taken to solve the process

Interview Questions

• Just general questions about past work experiences and how I handled them   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

Both levels of interviews are the same. They do static behavioral interviewing. I say static because I'm used to a more dynamic interview process. It wasn't friendly at all. The entire process needs fixed as I received an invite for the wrong job, day, and time; and had other mistakes along the way.

Interview Questions

• A behavioral question, followed by the same few questions that never really applied to my answer/response, such as why I selected that method, what I learned, and how I'd use it again in the future. These didn't apply, were repetitive, and quite frankly the stupidest interviews I've ever had. I didn't say those exact words in the interview but let them know the questions were not relevant to my answers (I could have answered those all the same). They never asked about skills or what I was looking for. I'd suggest covering skills in phone interview then a dynamic behavioral interview in person, asking about feelings, concerns, etc. that are typically asked in this type of interview rather than stagnant questions that aren't relevant.   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

It was very challenging. I applied for a summer internship in Shanghai. They asked a lot of questions about your understanding of economics and their company strategy. There are also typical questions like self introduction.

CAE Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

3 sessions, 1 introduction to the company and to the position. 2 behavioral session from team members and manager. all questions are behavioral. business casual attair. they are interested in what you behave in every day work. how you deal with stress, job difficulty