General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.8

Operational Excellence Master II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

Two hour interview process consisting of two 1 hour sessions with different people. The people ask you questions that you can easily just make stuff up to answer. These were not the typical describe your greatest strengths and weakness type questions, they are very specific to different scenarios. Don't worry how you answer since the offer GM will make you will have nothing to do with your skill set or your experience. I took off a day of work to visit GM based on a preliminary offer estimate which sounded very good, the actual offer after the interview was a joke. Don't fall for this trick!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work with many different cultures?   1 Answer

Not Specified Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Two 45 min. interviews at my college. I was not told what the position would be. They got back to me in about two weeks and gave me 2 weeks to respond to the offer. The offer was not negotiable as it was online.

Interview Questions

• They asked to give an example of an algorithm to sort a list of numbers in ascending order   1 Answer

Production Group Leader (Supervisor) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Lansing, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

There were 2 separate interviews on the same day. Each interview was conducted with 2 people asking questions at a time. They use the STAR format with the addition on what you learned and how you applied it going forward. Be prepared to give examples using specific situations. They were more interested in what you learned from the situations. Also ask them questions about the environment which you will work, their experience, future growth and any thing else to aide in your decision making process. You are interviewing them as well so be engaged.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

If the salary doesn't fit, speak up. Don't just decline the offer, or accept it and complain about it. Don't be afraid to negotiate. But remember you can negotiate down not up so start at your higher asking salary. I was able to increase my offer and my current salary.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

Both levels of interviews are the same. They do static behavioral interviewing. I say static because I'm used to a more dynamic interview process. It wasn't friendly at all. The entire process needs fixed as I received an invite for the wrong job, day, and time; and had other mistakes along the way.

Interview Questions

• A behavioral question, followed by the same few questions that never really applied to my answer/response, such as why I selected that method, what I learned, and how I'd use it again in the future. These didn't apply, were repetitive, and quite frankly the stupidest interviews I've ever had. I didn't say those exact words in the interview but let them know the questions were not relevant to my answers (I could have answered those all the same). They never asked about skills or what I was looking for. I'd suggest covering skills in phone interview then a dynamic behavioral interview in person, asking about feelings, concerns, etc. that are typically asked in this type of interview rather than stagnant questions that aren't relevant.   Answer Question

Design Release Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a 2-hour long video interview. The managers described who they are and what they do First. Then I did my self-introduction. Apparently they have a list of questions they have to go through with every interviewees and no one of them is extremely hard. Read what others say on glassdoor because basically all the questions are covered here.

Interview Questions

• Is there a time you have to challenge your supervisor?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

Once the manager picked me up from the lobby, we walked to his office while he sold GM to me. We reached his office and there was a second person in there to help with the interview. They asked me 4 mathematical/coding "riddle" questions. They asked 4 "tell me about a time when..." questions. They proceeded to sell the company to me and then the interview was over.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were not given instructions and you had to make up what you were doing as you went.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online. After about 1 month, I got a phone interview with HR first and then onsite interview with the group and hiring manager after one week. The phone interview was general. HR asked basic information and several questions like what is your career goal. The onsite interview started with a presentation.

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Rochester, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the GM careers website. I was immediately contacted by a hiring manager wanting to do the phone screen that day. Later that day we had a 30 minute conversation on the phone. The recruiter then forwarded her notes from the call and my application and resume to the hiring manager at the plant. The next day I was invited to come in for a face to face interview and plant tour. The interview consisted of the hiring manager, the area engineer manager, and the plant lead engineer. I was asked questions in a STAR format. They let me know after the interview they were bringing in one more person and that they would try to make a decision quickly. I was contacted by HR two weeks later that they were offering me the position.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

There was a series of 4 interviews over a 3 1/2 period. The first was with the initial recruiter. The second was with a team leader in the department. Third was a video conference with hiring manager and another senior person. Up to this point it's been the standard STAR questions that everybody else has reported. The fourth interview was similar to the 3rd but was over the phone and was much more technical. They asked about Java reflections, can you override a overloaded method etc. I don't remember anyone else describing a hard Java grilling. But obviously I didn't do well because the next day I got a rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you or someone on your team failed and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in April 2015.

Interview

I had two half-hour behavioral interviews on campus. It was a pretty relaxed setting with friendly people. Each interviewer had a set of questions to ask with no overlap. After these interviewers I also had the opportunity to speak with the lead recruiter and ask any other questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you attempted a solution to a problem that failed. How did you handle this failure?   Answer Question