General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.8

Powertrain Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Received interview after speaking to recruiters at Career Fair. Fairly straightforward as they are recruiting heavily from my college. Met at the faculty club where all rooms were being used by GM for interviews. I was told that they were impressed with the communication and technical skills but because they were primarily looking for Juniors, I stood a slim chance.

Interview Questions
    • Primarily Behavioral interview Following SOARA format:
      1. What was a time when you went about something incorectly, or analyzed the data incorrectly?
      2.A time when you surprised yourself with a result
      3.How do you manage your time?
      4.A time that you failed and what you learned
      5.A time that you mediated conflict in a group

Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

I was offered an On Campus interview which was mostly behavioral. The questions mostly tailored to different situations I had been in whether in school or the work place and how I handled the situations. The recruiter got in touch with me soon after my interview with more information about the process going forward. Overall, I had a very positive experience interviewing and working with them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a peer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

Company visited university and found my resume. Emailed me the night before for a morning interview. Then had another interview the next day. Total of two interviews, and both were done on campus. Predominantly behavioral. Don't know yet if I received the job, so tentatively saying no. Will update once they get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a project you worked on.
      When did you have to compromise when making a decision.
      What went wrong during the the project?
      How did you handle it?
      What lessons did you learn?

View Answer

Design Engineer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at General Motors.

There were 3 rounds of interview. First round with the Lead , it was all about GD nT and my previous experience. 2nd round was with Manager , it was about engines . 3 red round was with HR , it was all about strength weeknesses and salary negotiation an.

Interview Questions
    • Which is the most difficult design , aerospace engine or automotive engine. Considering the fact that in an automotive engine combustion chamber volume changes and in aerospace engine it remains constant.   Answer Question

Purchasing Buyer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

Was contacted by a recruiter via phone, spoke to her for roughly 30 minutes. She said she would pass my information to the hiring manager. Within a few days, I was contacted via email about scheduling an interview. There were actually five or six other candidates who showed up to interview for the same position, at the same time I was scheduled. This was a bit unnerving, but probably necessary in such a large company. We were given an orientation and then called separately to meet with the hiring manager(s). I met with two different managers for one hour each. Overall the process took nearly three hours. It was a good experience, mostly because the managers were very professional, yet down to earth.

Interview Questions
    • Name a professional (or personal) decision that you regretted.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at General Motors.

You will get a call from someone in the Talent Acquisition department first. Some basic questions regarding your experience and eligibility will be asked. If they determine you're a good candidate, they will arrange an actual onsite interview. The interview questions are standard questions from a GM interview book. Not technically oriented. They do look into your experience and skills/knowledge but don't make you write code on white board or things like that.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really too difficult or unexpected. For example, they would ask "give me an example in your job when you felt you're in very difficult situation and why".   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

There was a phone screening first, nothing technical. Then two interviews after that. Both in person interviews were mostly behavioral questions, pretty much "Tell me about a time when...". Both interviewers were very nice and answered any questions that I had. There were also a couple of recruiters there to cover basics about benefits/days off/etc...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a problem and didn't immediately know how to solve it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

I applied through Career Fair. They are basically looking for people with good CGPA and communication skills. All behavioral questions in the first round. Interview was on campus. The recruiter was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. It was a very positive experience. Waiting for the second round. Shall update once I'm done.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Strength
      2) Most difficult project ?
      3) Risk you took ?
      4) Project you approached incorrectly ?
      5) Why GM ?

Answer Question

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

The worst kind of recruiting team I have seen. I got called each time by a new person and they have no record of who I spoke with before. They send me meeting invitations with wrong time and with wrong job titles. I ended up missing an interview due to the mistakes made by the recruiter. Finally I sent an email to them stating that just based on the interview process, I am not interested in GM any more. The hiring manager that spoke to me before personally called me and assured me that if I reconsider GM, she herself will handle all the interview scheduling. And she did. I attended a technical interview after that. I was surprised that it turned out to be a behavior test than a technical interview. Two of the interviewers who talked to me one after another.. asked me the exact same questions. And even the 2 technical questions they asked are exactly the same. Surprisingly, their answers are not logical. When I opened a discussion about the answers and their reasoning about it, they did not follow through the conversation. Its almost like they have book of questions and answers.

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to store critical data like password in a char array rather than String?   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

GM came to the University of Utah recruiting for their new IT centers. After visiting their booth at a career fair, I was offered the first interview simply by being in the MSIS program and having a 3.0+ GPA. I interviewed on campus later that day. Interview was mostly behavioral questions. I was extended a second interview offer at the conclusion of the first interview. Second interview was a week later on campus, with a mix of behavioral and technical questions relating to database schema design (I was interviewing for a Data Analyst position). Both people I interviewed with were pleasant and helpful. I was told that I would be informed of GM's decision sometime in the next three weeks. Two weeks later I received a call with an offer of employment in Phoenix, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one experience where you did not perform well at work, and what did you do afterwards?   Answer Question
    I did not attempt to negotiate salary, as I felt the offer was generous, and I am a fresh graduate student out of school with little actual experience relating to the job functions.