General Motors Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2014
318 interviews

2.9

CAE Engineer Interview

Phone interview with Manager. Mostly behavioral questions in STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult job duty and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Purchasing Interview

Basic Phone Screen, On-Site Interview with (2) 1 hr sessions

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I interviewed for the powertrain engineering position at the powertrain facility in Pontiac. There was a phone interview then they flew me into Michigan for the second interview. Both interviews were more behavioral than technical, which seemed odd. The second round interviews were with two different managers, both were about an hour long.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to work with someone who was not of the same culture/country   Answer Question

Design and Release Engineer Interview

I applied through their official online portal. At the time I was only warming up to the job search process. I was surprised to get a phone interview. A HR recruiter called me. Very professional and cordial. Started asking me questions about skills relating to the position. He seemed to like the fact that I had most of the qualifications, and in a way encouraged me to answer positively on the ones that I was border-line. We did a couple of email follow-ups, and that ended up being the end of the process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that I can think of. Just keep your calm, and don't appear overly eager or too disinterested.   Answer Question

Advanced Energy Systems Engineer Interview

Applied through my school's internship program. Asked me personal questions about teamwork and leadership.

Engineer Interview

- I was contacted by phone asking why I am leaving my current job.
    - 2 weeks later I was contacted to schedule an in person interview.
    - I was interviewed by 2 managers, they did not ask anything about my work experience. All their questions were STAR questions. The interview took about 2 hours (1 hour for each manager)

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had a conflict with a co-worker, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Met them at the career fair and was offered to interview the next day

Interview Questions
    • - What are your weaknesses?
      - What are your strengths?
      - What is a difficulty you ran into and how did you overcome it?
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied for the position on my campus career resources website first. And then I got confirmed that I was able to sign up for an on-campus interview. It was a behavioral interview. The interviewer asked me what the most and least favorite courses were. As well as how I deal with big presentation.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected question. I could use my prepared cases to fit the questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Used STAR format

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about ___ experience (no real guidelines - difficult to know what looking for)   Answer Question

Quality Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Very detailed process and tested all my knowledge everything engineering related. Not the typical strength/weakness questions.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would follow procedure if you failed to rewrite a JES correctly and the job was done incorrectly?   View Answer

Better offer elsewhere