General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.8

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Rochester, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the GM careers website. I was immediately contacted by a hiring manager wanting to do the phone screen that day. Later that day we had a 30 minute conversation on the phone. The recruiter then forwarded her notes from the call and my application and resume to the hiring manager at the plant. The next day I was invited to come in for a face to face interview and plant tour. The interview consisted of the hiring manager, the area engineer manager, and the plant lead engineer. I was asked questions in a STAR format. They let me know after the interview they were bringing in one more person and that they would try to make a decision quickly. I was contacted by HR two weeks later that they were offering me the position.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Quick and simple. Scheduled in a couple of days after phone interview. Received a call in a week after I applied. Interviewed with a few people in the department on the same day and received an offer in a few days.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flagstaff, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Flagstaff, AZ) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through our career fair. I had back to back interviews and got offered the job a month after. My interviewer was really helpful and asked me additional requirements (if it were to happen) why my gpa would go down.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

Three separate interviews with 2 people each that took the entire day. Intense headache afterwards. Each session asked the same questions so I had to concentrate to make sure that I responded accordingly. I suppose that was a way to make sure that what I said is truthful. Nevertheless, an intense headache was present after the interviews were complete.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

There was a series of 4 interviews over a 3 1/2 period. The first was with the initial recruiter. The second was with a team leader in the department. Third was a video conference with hiring manager and another senior person. Up to this point it's been the standard STAR questions that everybody else has reported. The fourth interview was similar to the 3rd but was over the phone and was much more technical. They asked about Java reflections, can you override a overloaded method etc. I don't remember anyone else describing a hard Java grilling. But obviously I didn't do well because the next day I got a rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you or someone on your team failed and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Over the phone about past work experience multiple questions about how you handled them and what was the results and outcome of how you solved the problem and what steps you taken to solve the process

Interview Questions

• Just general questions about past work experiences and how I handled them   Answer Question

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at General Motors (Kansas City, KS) in August 2012.

Interview

Complete application and if selected come back for a hands on practical test to see if it is something you would be okay doing. once you pass the practical your in as long as you can pass the background and drug test.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a felony in the last seven years?   1 Answer

IT Services Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Motors (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

It was an online interview over skype. Lasted approx 1 hour. Good experience, thought it was a bit long. Alot of behavioural questions and not technical ones ( which i Studied for)

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about youselfA 2. What differentiates you 3. A time when you took a risk   Answer Question

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

Comfortable interview in relaxed setting. Met with 4 Managers two at a time. Asked 10 preset questions and technical inquiry. Lasted 4 hours. Lominger style questions, look them up online to prepare yourself for correct answer structure.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you didn't agree with your boss. Tell me a time when you couldn't understand a foreigner on the other end of the telephone   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiate! Was able to get more money and more vacation but no signing bonus. Would have taken their original offer though as their offer was fair.

Not Specified Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Two 45 min. interviews at my college. I was not told what the position would be. They got back to me in about two weeks and gave me 2 weeks to respond to the offer. The offer was not negotiable as it was online.

Interview Questions

• They asked to give an example of an algorithm to sort a list of numbers in ascending order   1 Answer