General Motors

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.8

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

On Campus (University) interview process. Very straightforward process with many behavioral questions. Asked about previous projects, interests in GM, why GM etc. Asked to describe projects and how they relate to work at GM. Interviews all done using the STAR method. Initial stage was something of a screening step, then asked to interview with managers. Managers conduct the interview and describe the STAR method. They even provide a rubric. The managers are quite nice, very straight forward and helpful throughout the process.

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lordstown, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lordstown, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Pass a drug test. That's literally all you have to do. Some people got by that. There is a simple skills test, but it's nothing major. There is a small personality test although I couldn't imagine anyone failing. I think most of the process is to make sure you are capable of respecting other people's rights and showing up to work on time every day. I imagine the older people there didn't take any tests like that so they are often difficult to deal with for everyone.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Their way or the highway.

CAE Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

General experience questions and situations. A lot of "Give me an example of..." questions. Responses had to fit in a structure and needed to be concise. The structure included: What was the situation?, What actions did you take?, What thought process(es) led you to take those actions?, What was the outcome?, W?hat did you learn from the experience?, When have you applied it since?. The interview was with hiring managers that stayed away from technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me an example of a time you had to motivate or work closely with an individual from a different culture."   View Answer

Software Developer? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Filled out a pre-application at a career, didnt think much of it. A week or so later I got an email telling me to show up at 7:45 the next morning for a "final interview". I guess they like you to be unprepared. They showed us the typical, "Look, dont you want to work for us?" presentation, then we had interviews with two people. The first guy I got was pretty unpleasant. I really just think he thought I was "weird" and didn't like me. Anyway, he asked a series of your typical bs interview questions, and they demand that you answer them in a rigid series of steps, and if a step didn't apply to your answer, I guess that was just seen as a failing on your part. He acted as if he couldn't comprehend my answers and wrote my answers down in a way that made me look bad, then refused to correct them. I felt like walking out of that interview, and I wish I had.
    The second guy I talked to was very nice and asked a couple of easy questions.
    That night, I was informed via email that I needed to apply to all the jobs I was interested in. Because applying after an interview makes perfect sense.
    Needless to say, within a week or two, I got a generic, "don't feel there's a strong match" email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that unexpected. Just imagine the worst questions from one of those books of interview questions, and an unsympathetic jerk sitting across from you.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

I applied through my school website and got an on campus interview that was 1 hour and 30 minutes long. It consisted of two back to back interviews that were 45 minutes each. They were mostly behavioral questions and maybe a few technical questions based on what was on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to give up something   Answer Question

Electric Drivetrain Systems and Modeling Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Very good interview, situation questions. The interviewers were helpful in making sure that I answered the questions correctly. There were a total of 4 questions and I had two 1 hour interviews with two different recruiters. Each of the recruiters had the same set of questions to ask from, so I could recycle some answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you worked in a professional setting with someone from a different background than yourself.   Answer Question

Graduate school

Production Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

Went through staffing agent. Uploaded resume and received call immediately because of background. Set up time to do phone interview the next day. Staffing agent was very helpful...shared interview tips and what to expect.
    Face to face interview: Behavioral based questions. Looking for strong demonstration of leadership skills and definitive examples of results. Conflict resolution in union shop. Meet in separate conference rooms with department heads.
    Expectations: Rotation of shifts every 3 mos. very visible on shop floor. Center manager doesn't want to hear the problem, but you're doing about the situation. Keep management updated on his situation is progressing.

Interview Questions
    • Long interview process witn each department heads. Tell me a time you failed? What did you learn or what would you do differently? Tell me a time you dealt with team members who didn't get along? Want very concise examples that demonstrate leadership style and how you got results.
      Just stay with STAR method but paint a clear picture.

Answer Question
    Contract work (long-term)

Associate Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

I was recruited at campus recruiting. Went through a basic screen (non-technical). I made it to the interview and it was largely behavioral, but they did ask about project I had worked on and we discussed technical aspects. No random questions about beam bending or anything, just about what I had worked on and put on my resume. They also flew potential hires out to Michigan, which was honestly a lot of fun and very informative.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to describe a time that I had to publicly admit to making a mistake.   View Answer

It was a really really good offer, but I wanted to stay in California.

Executive Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

I was contacted from a staffing company that recruits a lot for GM. The staffing company is based in Michigan and I am in California. First, the staffing agent emailed me asking if I was interested in an opportunity at GM. I was interested and immediately submitted me to GM to see if GM would be interested in interviewing with me. Four days later, the staffing agent informed me GM wanted to interview with me in a week. I prepared for the interview, researched the company, and made sure I was confident and serious about the interview. I went to GM for my interview on Thursday morning and by Friday afternoon, I was offered the position and I will be starting in a week.

The organization seems fun and very fast-paced. I'm excited to start working there.

Interview Questions
    The staffing company handled the salary guidelines and I am very happy with the agreed upon compensation. No negotiation needed.