General Motors

Updated Jan 30, 2015

2.8

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

GM has outsourced the candidate screening process and HR is still ironing out the bugs. The interview preparation instructions stated to record the responses to questions. HR was unsure of what to instruct candidates to bring a video or a typed presentation. The interviews were one hour sessions with the Global Program Manager and the Engineering Manager. The questions were STAR format behavioral focused.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a situation where a team member chooses not to participate in meetings?   Answer Question

Firewall Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

Had an initial phone screen on December 11th. After the holidays, they followed up and scheduled a second phone interview with two team members on January 9th.

They were both very human-voiced interviews, with mostly behavior-based questions.

Following the second interview we exchanged a couple of E-mails, but now there's been radio silence for several weeks. Disappointing that they would treat a candidate this way.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to give someone bad news.   View Answer

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lordstown, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lordstown, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Pass a drug test. That's literally all you have to do. Some people got by that. There is a simple skills test, but it's nothing major. There is a small personality test although I couldn't imagine anyone failing. I think most of the process is to make sure you are capable of respecting other people's rights and showing up to work on time every day. I imagine the older people there didn't take any tests like that so they are often difficult to deal with for everyone.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Their way or the highway.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

On Campus (University) interview process. Very straightforward process with many behavioral questions. Asked about previous projects, interests in GM, why GM etc. Asked to describe projects and how they relate to work at GM. Interviews all done using the STAR method. Initial stage was something of a screening step, then asked to interview with managers. Managers conduct the interview and describe the STAR method. They even provide a rubric. The managers are quite nice, very straight forward and helpful throughout the process.

Electric Drivetrain Systems and Modeling Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Very good interview, situation questions. The interviewers were helpful in making sure that I answered the questions correctly. There were a total of 4 questions and I had two 1 hour interviews with two different recruiters. Each of the recruiters had the same set of questions to ask from, so I could recycle some answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you worked in a professional setting with someone from a different background than yourself.   Answer Question

Graduate school

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

1) Applied online
    2) received a request for a phone screen by GM talent(less than 1 hr notice)
    3) after screening **they go over basic background information, salary you want, etc
    4) now your resume is available to groups in GM that are hiring
    5) wait on a interview request
    6) did a face to face as expected it was a behavioral interview about 4 questions with 2 examples of each they are basic behavioral ie) tell me about a time you were given a task without the proper tools, worse job experience, handle time management, tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict at work.
    7) went over job experience
    8) they go over the position
    9) ask questions then end of interview

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to have to give a follow up examples.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

First had phone interview which consisted of questions about my resume and some situational questions. Second, had an on campus interview which followed the before mentioned structure, but they went a little deeper.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project where you approached it incorrectly. What did you do to correct it what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    No negotiation really. I was quite happy with the starting salary. Eligible for raises every 6 mos.

Finance Entry Level Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

3 Phone interviews:
    Mostly behavioral questions. The executives are very defensive about GM products.
    The interviews went great except for the one with the Finance executive. I asked her why doesn't GM offers any mini-vans and she got defensive. She wasn't happy with the question even though I thought it was a legit question.

Executive Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

I was contacted from a staffing company that recruits a lot for GM. The staffing company is based in Michigan and I am in California. First, the staffing agent emailed me asking if I was interested in an opportunity at GM. I was interested and immediately submitted me to GM to see if GM would be interested in interviewing with me. Four days later, the staffing agent informed me GM wanted to interview with me in a week. I prepared for the interview, researched the company, and made sure I was confident and serious about the interview. I went to GM for my interview on Thursday morning and by Friday afternoon, I was offered the position and I will be starting in a week.

The organization seems fun and very fast-paced. I'm excited to start working there.

Interview Questions
    The staffing company handled the salary guidelines and I am very happy with the agreed upon compensation. No negotiation needed.