General Motors

307 candidate interviews

GM Dealer Sales Consultant Interview

GM Dealer Sales Consultant
Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call from from a talent acquisition representative within 48 hours. The phone interview was about 20 minutes long and consisted of basic questions about my resume, work experience and salary/benefit expectations. I received another phone call from the same rep. the next day and he scheduled a face to face interview in Detroit for the following week. First part was a 30 minute orientation about GM and it's benefits etc. Second part was broken down into 2 separate hour long interviews. Each interview was with 2 managers. Interview questions were in the Lominger format but some of the questions would digress into questions about my resume and work experience. Each interviewer would constantly stop the cadence of the interview to write down notes as I answered each question. Know your resume and be prepared with different situations to base your answers on to avoid sounding repetitive. They will press you to elaborate extensively on some portions of your answers just to see how you respond to unanticipated questions. Overall a positive experience, interviewing managers are very friendly.

Interview Question – Describe a time you employed rigorous logic to complete an assigned task?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a generous offer with great benefits. I did not negotiate as it was beyond my salary requirements.

Buyer Interview

Buyer
Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in April 2013.

Interview Details – Why you want to work at GM, Why you are looking, overview of experience and several behavior based questions with 2 different managers. It was basically an hour with each manager. The feed back was quick. interviewed on Friday, regret email on Monday.

Interview Question – A decision I made that I regretted.   Answer Question

Dealership Sales Consultant Interview

Dealership Sales Consultant

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details – Great experience, and just received a request for a background check verification.

Interviewers were extremely friendly and went into great depth with their questions. Their questions were very wide open so it was important to stay on topic and keep your answer relevant. Spend a lot of time preparing for interviews with this company.

Interview Question – How did you deal with ambiguity in the workplace?   Answer Question

Environmental Engineer Interview

Environmental Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview questions were the standard questions about are you allowed to work in this country and do you live in commuting distance. Received invitation by phone for an interiew in Warren. The interview consisted of a 30 minute session about working for GM and small talk followed by two interviews that were one hour in length.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you got results even though some major factor changed such as budget cuts, competitor moves, or the market changed.   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Associate Engineer
Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Motors in June 2009.

Interview Details – Canned and very formatted questions.

Interview Question – Typical questions, your hardest challanges in your carreer.   Answer Question

Senior Finance Manager Interview

Senior Finance Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Motors in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on company website. Called for first and second round screening interview. The first round was typical in that it asked for details on background and education. Primarlary seemed a screen for salary acceptability. e.g. was I ok with a $126k salary. Second round was a phone interview with a Finance Director. Asked describe a time questions. Was then brought onsite at Ren Cen for final interview.

Interview Question – The case question. Given an hour to evaluate whether to continue with a next generation of a vehicle product line. Set in room with a total of twenty people all working on laptops to complete the case.   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in September 2012.

Interview Details – There was 3 steps of interview - Telephonic, face to face with the Manager & the last round with the department head. The hiring process is really very smooth. Great coordination among the departments.

Interview Question – The difficult part is technical round. The previous job experience matters a lot. Ground work should be done & it should be solid.   Answer Question

Purchasing Manager Interview

Purchasing Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Several rounds of interviews with direct manager, HR personnel, and peers.

Interview Question – What your most glaring weaknesses? What mistakes have you made in the past?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is always room to negotiate, and often times negotiation may be for reasons other than monetary.

GPSC NASO Command Center Coordinator (Supply Chain) Interview

GPSC NASO Command Center Coordinator (Supply Chain)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview by the HR department in another state to set up an interview later that week and was told they always do two sets of interviews and I would have both sets that same day set up by the hiring manager. I had an orientation of 30 minutes then one hour with two managers and another hour with two other managers. I was told I'd hear back from them within a week. The entire process from parking in the visitors lot and taking a shuttle to leaving took about half a day.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had difficulty with a coworker   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The HR rep called me two days later asking how the interview went. She confirmed she expected to have an offer within a week. I informed her of another interview I had with Chrysler and she asked that I call her if that offer came through. I received my offer from Chrsyler two days later and left her a voicemail with the details. My verbal offer came from GM in the next day along with email on my future supervisors information. I called him asking about a preferred schedule I wanted which he confirmed it was okay. So from day of interview to offer was 7 days, then I accepted two days later after speaking to my future supervisor.

Supplier Quality Engineer Interview

Supplier Quality Engineer
Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call from TA recruiter within 2 days. After initial phone screening, took 2 days for the recruiter to get back and schedule an onsite interview .

Onsite interview: Flew in the earlier night and interviewed with 2 Senior Managers for 1 hour each. Standard STAR format and things to remember:
1) Be precise, don't give BS stories- these guys do not have much time so respect that
2) Confidence and know your resume
3)Ask good questions relative to your job, know your job, requirements for the job
4) STUDY for the interview, prepare, READ all the reviews .This helped me the most to prepare. Thank you to all the folks who left a review prior to my interview
5) Study , spend time preparing for the interview. Practice communicating your resume in a concise manner

Interviewers were very congenial, they will go through your basic knowledge and thought process and evaluate your fit .

Took 10 days to hear back from the recruiter , I did keep in touch as I had another offer so that helps. If not , yet do follow up timely. Show your interest and desire. Times are tough, opportunities less and competition is high. Do your best !!

Interview Question – Which was the worst job you did of the ones stated on the Resume, why?

What is a weakness you bring to GM?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a senior position so did not negotiate as I was satisfied with the offer. Everything after the primary offer follows timely .