General Motors Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

.NET Software Developer - Sales and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Phone Interview - This was with the Lead Developer on the team. As others have mentioned, the STAR methodology is used heavily. Very few technical questions, and those asked were fairly basic (Describe the MVC pattern, what is viewstate used for, how would you select only 10 rows in SQL Server).

In-Person Interview - Received an invite for in-person interview shortly after phone interview. Before meeting with interviewers, I was greeted by an HR person who took myself and another applicant to a conference room to watch an intro video about GM. Not sure what it was about the HR person, but he wore me out after listening to him for 15-20 minutes. The video was pretty a much a sales pitch for working at GM.

After the video, I was taken into a small room and interviewed 1-on-1 with a hiring manager. Again, behaviorial questions were asked, very few tech questions. Hiring manager didn't seem interested right from the start -- made me think he was going through the motions and already had a candidate selected.

Second interview was with another hiring manager. He asked very similar questions to the first interviewer and also asked about my experience using certain JavaScript frameworks - Durandal, Node, JQuery, etc.

All-in-all, it was a fairly comfortable experience. Didn't feel like I was being "grilled", as is the technique for many other companies hiring developers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a project where part or all of the project had to be reworked or scrapped.   View Answer

Packaging Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Uses a talent acquisition to speak with possible candidate. Interview was done via web conference which made it convenient. Asked situation questions, i.e. a time when...
    Interviewed with multiple people at once. The whole process from talent acquisition to offer was about 3 weeks. After interview with the group, it only took a week for an offer to come across.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty good but not easy. Using pass experience helped a lot.   Answer Question
    Accepted and did not negotiate anything higher than offer. Extremely competitive offer based on experience.

Several Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Pleasant interviewers (4 in two sessions) but they read questions prepared by a consulting/testing company that usually causes qualified candidates to be rejected. Same stubborn, muleheaded company that went bankrupt before.

Interview Questions
    • If you told a lie and were called on it, how would you react?   View Answer

Senior Software Developer – Data Integration Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  North Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in North Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Phone interview that was technical...lasted an hour. In person interview followed a couple of weeks later. Company overview with an HR person followed by two interviews with managers...about an hour each. As others have mentioned this was more about how you handle different situations...no real technical questions. Nice office space, nice people, but everyone is fairly new. It's hard to tell what the things will be like over the next couple of years.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do differently in a difficult situation that I had just described where I was unhappy with the outcome?   View Answer

Cyber Security Incident Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

I applied online and received a call from the recruiter about 4 days later. Haven't heard anything yet, but keeping my fingers crossed. My recruiter is not representing GM very well makes you think if this is the culture of the company.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question, I was my own worst enemy due to my interview anxiety   View Answer

MArketing CoOp Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

The interview is on campus and it last for about 40 minutes. The two managers are very kind and we had a great talk. It is really a talk I think. No behavior questions or academic questions. Just talk what you want to talk.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2011.

on campus , skill test , 1:1 Interview process then final negotiation with HR about the salary. total process was very fast. two rounds of one on one interview one on technical and other on aspirations and future plans.

Interview Questions
    • through and full knowlege in basic and fundamentals in your field of interest   Answer Question

PMO Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Worked with recruiter and with the manager of the team I was interviewing for. I have a very niche skills set, so it was fairly easy to get the job. First manager was really bad, got moved within the organization to a better leader.

Had to really work hard to get the salary I wanted. Went back and forth about 5 times.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Mysore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Mysore (India)

interviewed at General Motors in August 2011.

it is a campus recruitment, there r 3 rounds written test, technical, hr intervw, technical test is easy
    interview is all about embedded system, c and few ur branch related questions, hr interview is simple if u hd vry gud percenile in ur acdemics

Code Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at General Motors.

The entire interview is a behavior based interview format (Lominger). No code writing is asked, and the interview is a breeze if you have good experiences and aren't abnormal. Be prepared to have a long list of things you've worked on in your head, especially where you have failed or had issues with people and how you overcame them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you failed at something at a company. (there are then 5 follow up questions such as how you overcame it, what was the end result, were you ever able to apply what you learned at a later time?)   Answer Question
    No negotiation at all for me, but other had better luck.