General Motors

Updated Feb 27, 2015
Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.8

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

It was a very friendly and casual interview. All of the questions asked were in the STAR format. The only step in the interview process was an approximately 30 minute phone interview.

Change of major

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

GM has outsourced the candidate screening process and HR is still ironing out the bugs. The interview preparation instructions stated to record the responses to questions. HR was unsure of what to instruct candidates to bring a video or a typed presentation. The interviews were one hour sessions with the Global Program Manager and the Engineering Manager. The questions were STAR format behavioral focused.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a situation where a team member chooses not to participate in meetings?   Answer Question

Validation Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

Met through a campus recruiter. After months, and far past when my peers got interviews, I got a phone call to verify my availability. Waiting a few more weeks to hear back and they decided to fly me out. Picked me up, took my to the hotel and the next day, from the hotel to the interview. Waited in the lobby for a while until someone came and got me and informed me that they had forgotten about my presence there. The interview consisted of two candidates and two interviewers. Interviews lasted one hour with each interviewer and all questions were based on the STAR method.

Firewall Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

Had an initial phone screen on December 11th. After the holidays, they followed up and scheduled a second phone interview with two team members on January 9th.

They were both very human-voiced interviews, with mostly behavior-based questions.

Following the second interview we exchanged a couple of E-mails, but now there's been radio silence for several weeks. Disappointing that they would treat a candidate this way.

Update: After another week, the hiring manager finally responded my previous E-mail, and the process is moving forward. Still not sure what the outcome will be. HR contacted me, as well, and the primary focus was on compensation. He actually asked me, "what's your bottom line?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to give someone bad news.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

On Campus (University) interview process. Very straightforward process with many behavioral questions. Asked about previous projects, interests in GM, why GM etc. Asked to describe projects and how they relate to work at GM. Interviews all done using the STAR method. Initial stage was something of a screening step, then asked to interview with managers. Managers conduct the interview and describe the STAR method. They even provide a rubric. The managers are quite nice, very straight forward and helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Very good interview, situation questions. The interviewers were helpful in making sure that I answered the questions correctly. There were a total of 4 questions and I had two 1 hour interviews with two different recruiters. Each of the recruiters had the same set of questions to ask from, so I could recycle some answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you worked in a professional setting with someone from a different background than yourself.   Answer Question

Graduate school

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

1) Applied online
    2) received a request for a phone screen by GM talent(less than 1 hr notice)
    3) after screening **they go over basic background information, salary you want, etc
    4) now your resume is available to groups in GM that are hiring
    5) wait on a interview request
    6) did a face to face as expected it was a behavioral interview about 4 questions with 2 examples of each they are basic behavioral ie) tell me about a time you were given a task without the proper tools, worse job experience, handle time management, tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict at work.
    7) went over job experience
    8) they go over the position
    9) ask questions then end of interview

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to have to give a follow up examples.   View Answer

Executive Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

I was contacted from a staffing company that recruits a lot for GM. The staffing company is based in Michigan and I am in California. First, the staffing agent emailed me asking if I was interested in an opportunity at GM. I was interested and immediately submitted me to GM to see if GM would be interested in interviewing with me. Four days later, the staffing agent informed me GM wanted to interview with me in a week. I prepared for the interview, researched the company, and made sure I was confident and serious about the interview. I went to GM for my interview on Thursday morning and by Friday afternoon, I was offered the position and I will be starting in a week.

The organization seems fun and very fast-paced. I'm excited to start working there.

Interview Questions
    The staffing company handled the salary guidelines and I am very happy with the agreed upon compensation. No negotiation needed.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

First had phone interview which consisted of questions about my resume and some situational questions. Second, had an on campus interview which followed the before mentioned structure, but they went a little deeper.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project where you approached it incorrectly. What did you do to correct it what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    No negotiation really. I was quite happy with the starting salary. Eligible for raises every 6 mos.