General Motors

Getting the Interview

271 candidate interviews

Senior Software Developer Interview

Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details – I took a 1.5 weeks between the first phone call from the recruiter to the 1:1 with the team members. I was presented a quick overview of GM benefits for 30 minutes and had 2 hours interview with 2 different persons. I did not find all the questions relevant for the position but most of them were appropriate. I had a really bad headache and tried to be positive as possible.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a Set and a List?   View Answers (2)

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Conducted a phone interview first with HR. Received a packet in the mail explaining the interview process. Phone interview went well and then scheduled an in person interview. In person interview was with three different people, one was the hiring manager. I received different questions from each person but was expected to answer each question within the STAR format (Situation, Tasks, Actions, and Results). It took another week, and they scheduled my drug test. I passed all tests and was offered a job.

Interview Question – What have you done in a difficult situation where you didn’t know how to solve it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, I was expected to take what they offered. For my experience, it was actually a good offer.

Material Supervisor Interview

Lake Orion, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2012.

Interview Details – very structured : STAR process

S-situation
T- Tast
A-Action
R-result

Each question revolves around those statements. "Describe a time you had a problem and used it to create an opportunity"?

Interview Question – Describe a time you had a problem and used it to create an opportunity"?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry level position coming from a 3PL contract company. I didnt negotiate much but was pretty happy with the offer

Enterprise Reporting Analyst Interview

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details – Received a call from Talent Acquisition rep. Asked some prescreening interview questions.
Received a detailed email with details for a face-to-face interview. It included directions, tips regarding their behavorial interview.
Had half hour meeting with a Talent Acquisition/HR rep.
Then had a one hour interview with the hiring manager and another lady.
Immediately after, had another one hour interview with two men.
In both meetings, tag teamed with behavorial interview questions.

Interview Question – Just multiple behavorial interview questions.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in December 2008.

Interview Details – They mainly concentrate what they want and at the same time want to know what exactly we know.
Like I am from a totally irrelevant branch but applied for this interview out of passion so they took around 4 interviews one after another just to know whether I am eligible for that post or not.
Questionaire might vary from basic automotive to indepth depending on how you answer.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a train and car since both are hybrid :)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be confident, stick to basics thats what people from GM expect.

Training Manager Interview

Training Manager
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in June 2012.

Interview Details – three rounds, including written with apti and tech, then tech round and finishing with hr round

Interview Question – abt hybrid cars   Answer Question

Area Sales Manager Interview

Area Sales Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – One on one to begin then group process with 4 different Mgrs.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for this particular company? Their looking for passionate people to join the industry; if you don't like cars don’t bother to interview because you will be found out very quickly.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – There are set salary minimums and maximums most candidates begin in mid salary range depending on experience.

Connected Customer Specialist Interview

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in June 2012.

Interview Details – Found position on company website, applied, and then was followed within two weeks by a phone interview. After another phone interview, was invited a month out to the world headquarters for a formal interview. After the interview, offer was made within 2 weeks. Long process after the interview and offer phase. Kind of strange to me that they do a drug and background screen after the offer is made, but all good in the end. After the offer, they will information overload your inbox with resources and really make you feel welcome. It was a great overall experience.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to communicate something different to one person than to another and it came back to haunt you.   Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Controls Engineer
Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Motors in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was seated in front of an HR lady and a controls engineer who both had their turns asking me various questions. The STAR system is very key for GM interviews - They ask you about an experience and you must give them the Situation, the Task, the Action, and the Result. It is advised to practice this style of interviewing because these questions far outweighed any technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult co-worker and how you dealt with it.   View Answer
  • What is one of the most involved projects you have been a part of?   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Associate Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Motors in March 2011.

Interview Details – Received initial phone screen about a week before the offer to interview with the company. The interview was then schedule for two days after. So a little of a week to go through the entire interview process. Interviewed with four managers. Went through a strategic interview process but overall was a very positive experience.

Interview Question – Name a specific time when you took the initiative and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors