General Motors

316 candidate interviews

Controls Engineer Interview

Controls Engineer
Toledo, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted Resume online. I was then contacted a few days later for an onsite interview. The interview was a star process or lominger process interview. The interview was with the manager for the position and an associate. The whole process took a little over 2 hours without a plant tour which does occur sometimes.

Interview Question – Giving answers to scenario style questions that you have to come back to later.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate as i was satisfied with the offer.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – The whole process was very smooth and well organized and went very quickly. Once I was offered an interview, it was scheduled quickly and I was given detailed information about what to expect, where to be, etc.
The interview itself was a 5 hour process. There was a short orientation, after which I was introduced to the HR rep that would facilitate the rest of the day. I was asked to prepare and present a case study and then sat with a number of hiring managers. The managers asked standardized behavioral questions then moved on to questions specific to their open position.

Interview Question – Most questions were standard behavioral questions or questions about my work experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Much of the salary talk happened before the interview. I liked that both sides knew what would work in terms of salary before a lot of time was invested.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details – I took a 1.5 weeks between the first phone call from the recruiter to the 1:1 with the team members. I was presented a quick overview of GM benefits for 30 minutes and had 2 hours interview with 2 different persons. I did not find all the questions relevant for the position but most of them were appropriate. I had a really bad headache and tried to be positive as possible.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a Set and a List?   View Answers (2)

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Conducted a phone interview first with HR. Received a packet in the mail explaining the interview process. Phone interview went well and then scheduled an in person interview. In person interview was with three different people, one was the hiring manager. I received different questions from each person but was expected to answer each question within the STAR format (Situation, Tasks, Actions, and Results). It took another week, and they scheduled my drug test. I passed all tests and was offered a job.

Interview Question – What have you done in a difficult situation where you didn’t know how to solve it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, I was expected to take what they offered. For my experience, it was actually a good offer.

Material Supervisor Interview

Material Supervisor
Lake Orion, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2012.

Interview Details – very structured : STAR process

S-situation
T- Tast
A-Action
R-result

Each question revolves around those statements. "Describe a time you had a problem and used it to create an opportunity"?

Interview Question – Describe a time you had a problem and used it to create an opportunity"?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry level position coming from a 3PL contract company. I didnt negotiate much but was pretty happy with the offer

Enterprise Reporting Analyst Interview

Enterprise Reporting Analyst
Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details – Received a call from Talent Acquisition rep. Asked some prescreening interview questions.
Received a detailed email with details for a face-to-face interview. It included directions, tips regarding their behavorial interview.
Had half hour meeting with a Talent Acquisition/HR rep.
Then had a one hour interview with the hiring manager and another lady.
Immediately after, had another one hour interview with two men.
In both meetings, tag teamed with behavorial interview questions.

Interview Question – Just multiple behavorial interview questions.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in December 2008.

Interview Details – They mainly concentrate what they want and at the same time want to know what exactly we know.
Like I am from a totally irrelevant branch but applied for this interview out of passion so they took around 4 interviews one after another just to know whether I am eligible for that post or not.
Questionaire might vary from basic automotive to indepth depending on how you answer.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a train and car since both are hybrid :)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be confident, stick to basics thats what people from GM expect.

Training Manager Interview

Training Manager
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in June 2012.

Interview Details – three rounds, including written with apti and tech, then tech round and finishing with hr round

Interview Question – abt hybrid cars   Answer Question

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

AREA SALES MANAGER
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – One on one to begin then group process with 4 different Mgrs.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for this particular company? Their looking for passionate people to join the industry; if you don't like cars don’t bother to interview because you will be found out very quickly.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – There are set salary minimums and maximums most candidates begin in mid salary range depending on experience.

Connected Customer Specialist Interview

Connected Customer Specialist
Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in June 2012.

Interview Details – Found position on company website, applied, and then was followed within two weeks by a phone interview. After another phone interview, was invited a month out to the world headquarters for a formal interview. After the interview, offer was made within 2 weeks. Long process after the interview and offer phase. Kind of strange to me that they do a drug and background screen after the offer is made, but all good in the end. After the offer, they will information overload your inbox with resources and really make you feel welcome. It was a great overall experience.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to communicate something different to one person than to another and it came back to haunt you.   Answer Question