General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.8

Engineer I Interview

I got referred to get my resume to a hiring manager. A few weeks later, I got a phone cal for an informal interview. There was like 3 easy questions about myself and given the chance to ask for questions. It lasted for about 15 minutes Then invited for on-site interview with 2 people interviewed me. Mostly behavior questions.

Lead Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Applied to several jobs that looked interesting over many months. Received a call back and phone interview for one, but no request for on-site interview. Finally, one of my friends got hired and with his recommendation I was contacted about a Lead Developer position. Did the phone interview. Followed up with on-site. Then an offer

Interview Questions
    • On the phone and on-site the interviewer asked several situational problem solving questions eliciting me to respond with examples from my own work experience. However, on-site they also gave me a coding test with requirements for small programs and 4 SQL statements. The requirements were simple, but more academic than real world. (I have never been paid to write a Fibonacci code generator or a Palindrome detector) Anyone who has been out of college for 20+ plus years would require at least 10 minutes per question just to dust of the cob webs, and the test had a 30 minute time limit.   Answer Question
    Did not need to negotiate as they offered me what I asked for. However, if you make it this far and they don't offer you what you asked for, I recommend you negotiate. They need a lot of good people, and if you get past their screening process you are good, and they cannot afford to screw with you over money.

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in August 2014.

Applied online and received a phone call afterwards from a recruiter. The additional stages of the interview moved towards a face to face conversation at the location with multiple people (separate interviews with each). The visit started with an orientation type of conversation with other applicants prior to the one on one meetings. The interviewers were prepared and had all of the information I provided the recruiter...resume, references, etc. The resume was scribbled on here and there with notes they used to generate some impromptu questions. The rest of the questions were all situation based.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions, STAR approach. Be prepared with examples   Answer Question
    none

Siebel Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

3 interviews from people that work above me, but in the same building. Less than 3 interviews if you do not have competition. They asked general questions to understand how I work and how others could work with me.

Interview Questions
    • The last interview and last question was a software question and they asked me to solve it.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Aftersales Engineering Interview

1.submitting CV thru 3rd party job opening website
    2. receiving calls from HR and doing a short interview on the phone
    3. interviewing the line manager and HRPR
    - CV review
    - Motivation, experience, interests, future career plan, etc.
    - Job description introduction
    4. getting offer

Interview Questions
    • how satisfied would you be if you get this job offer, rank it from 0 -10   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2013.

The HR of Gurgaon office of General Motors approached the college. Job profile and description was shared. CVs were submitted by interested candidates. 7 people were shortlisted on the basis of CV and personal interviews happened after a week of the shortlisted candidates. There were 2 Rounds of interviews. Technical Interview and HR interview.

Interview Questions
    • The team you are going to work with does not have any youngsters, do you think you can fit in?   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Excellent work culture. Hiring is done through a day long interview with multiple leaders and a technical presentation to the relevant team. Interview is well thought out, carried out with certain amount of respect and dignity. The interview s relate to your ability and preparedness to carry to certain tasks and certainly not to check your bookish knowledge. Quite friendly atmosphere. Lots of background pre-interview collection of data is done.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

It was very easy. They only did a 1st round interview at my schools career fair. About 4-5 weeks later I got a call with the job offer. I do not believe I was asked any technical questions. They're trying to get the overall IT department up to about 10,000 people. Right now we're at about 8,000. Unless you were with HP, IBM, Dell, or a previous contractor they only want college hires.

Interview Questions
    The money was more than expected, so I gladly accepted.

Design Release Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at General Motors.

Got an on-site interview right off the bat. Interviewed with about 5 other DRE's and they all wanted to hire me. They asked about my past experiences and how it'll translate into my new role

Design Release Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview about about an hour. Asked questions from interview posted on website. Know Lominger competences and have a scenario prepared for each. STAR format with what you learned and how to apply it

Interview Questions
    • Since I answered every question in the guide so nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question