General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.8

Powertrain Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

Very behavorial type questions. Had two parts of the interview and each one was one on one. Not intimidating at all, just need to have experiences where the questions apply. Everything was paid for, the hotel, the travel. I got a tour of the factory too, it was great. The people were very friendly.

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at General Motors (Bloomington, IN) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very simple. They had a booth at the career fair on campus. They gave me a next day interview after talking to them at the fair. The next day, I went in the morning for two interviews. They were back to back and both behavioral questions. Ended with any questions I had for them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you went out of your way to help a client or customer   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

the process started with a behavioral interview. The interviewer seemed interested but rushed at the same time like he had heard it all before. There were only three questions and it seemed like it didn't really get the entire picture.

Design Release Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

There was an initial 30 minute to 1 hour screening survey that had behavior based question. Following that I had two one hour interviews on site that were a similar style. I was given an offer the same day after the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you had to solve a problem without having all of the information available.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Met at career fair and the recruiter was very nice and easy to talk to. Was invited for an interview the next morning on campus. Interview isn't extremely hard but not easy either. They ask you 3 different situational questions and what you learned, how you reacted, etc about each situation.

Interview Questions

• The hardest for me was talking about a time when I had to learn on the fly   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Most commonly a face-to-face Targeted Interview process is used, typically with two interviewers from the function participating. Two or three rounds are to be expected: the first by a Human Resources business partner, the second by potential supervisor and trusted adviser, sometimes a third by would-be peers. If you are a top candidate, a brief 10 min chat with the functional executive may take place to ensure internal alignment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to go really out of the ordinary to salvage it: what did you do, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much negotiation scope; folks do not have much room to play with.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen on December 11th. After the holidays, they followed up and scheduled a second phone interview with two team members on January 9th.

They were both very human-voiced interviews, with mostly behavior-based questions.

Following the second interview we exchanged a couple of E-mails, but now there's been radio silence for several weeks. Disappointing that they would treat a candidate this way.

Update: After another week, the hiring manager finally responded my previous E-mail, and the process is moving forward. Still not sure what the outcome will be. HR contacted me, as well, and the primary focus was on compensation. He actually asked me, "what's your bottom line?"

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to give someone bad news.   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Asked 3 questions and told me to elaborate on software I have developed. What was your greatest achievement? Etc what was your favorite class? What kind of java programs have you created? Very nice interviewer

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

It was a very friendly and casual interview. All of the questions asked were in the STAR format. The only step in the interview process was an approximately 30 minute phone interview.

Change of major

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lordstown, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at General Motors (Lordstown, OH).

Interview

Pass a drug test. That's literally all you have to do. Some people got by that. There is a simple skills test, but it's nothing major. There is a small personality test although I couldn't imagine anyone failing. I think most of the process is to make sure you are capable of respecting other people's rights and showing up to work on time every day. I imagine the older people there didn't take any tests like that so they are often difficult to deal with for everyone.

Interview Questions

• Referral most likely needed   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Their way or the highway.