General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details – phone interview, 2 face to face interviews with 2 individuals both times.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to question someone of higher authority.   Answer Question

Operations Research Professional Interview

Operations Research Professional
Warren, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – I applied through the INFORMS Career website. I was first interviewed by two Operations Research Directors and then I had an HR phone interview asking HR-related questions. Then there was a full day on-site interview, and that included 2 STAR interviews, technical interview, seminar. In the STAR interviews, I got two choose one from two questions for every question. Each STAR interview was about 1 hour. The technical seminar/presentation had a lot of questions.

Interview Question – Some STAR questions are difficult to answer unless prepared in advance.   View Answer

Asset Manager Software Engineer Interview

Asset Manager Software Engineer
Roswell, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in November 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application online via GM website, had 3 phone interviews, had 1 face to face.

Interview Question – All questions were general technical questions and what would you do in a certain project situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – GM does not negotiate. They offer a very complete package of base salary and benefits some of the best in the country.

Buyer Interview

Buyer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details – Multilevel interview process. 1. Talent Acquisition Phone Interview 2. Face to Face 6 hour interview process. First meet with HR for a presentation 3. First Interview (they want to learn how to learn and respond to situations - this is not a Q&A interview. This will last 45 minutes to 1 hour. 4. 2nd interviewer will come in and will ask completely different questions in this stage.

Interview Question – They would ask how you would change what you achieved.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation on salary - that was made clear early on in the process.

Line Worker Interview

Line Worker
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details – there was a phone interview

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details – HR is highly unorganized - no clear communication on interview times and whether or not there was to be an interview. The process on the day itself was very systematic and the people I met were very nice and professional. Also, throughout the process no one I met could tell me exactly which role I was recruiting for.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly difficult - standard finance technical questions.   Answer Question

BI & Data Analytics Developer Interview

BI & Data Analytics Developer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Met GM at my school's career fair, interview was basic questions about my background and ability to handle certain scenarios.

Interview Question – Questions were basic.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Two round interview process that took place over about 3 weeks. The first interview was your basic behavioral questions, held by two recruiter managers. It took about a week to hear back that I received a second round interview. The second was much like the first, which was unexpected. I was expecting a slightly more technical interview, since I was applying for a software development position, but the questions were almost identical to the ones asked during the first round. I received an official offer over the phone about a week later.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you made the wrong decision, but overcame the issues and excelled anyway.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Industrial Engineer - Entry Level Position Interview

Industrial Engineer - Entry Level Position
Wentzville, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details – The Entry Level Industrial Engineer position that I applied for was contracted out by an Engineering Temp Service. The best pro about this interview was how quick the entire process worked. I was approved for an interview on Friday, had the interview on Tuesday, and told that I would know by Wednesday if I could start the job next week. Everything else about the interview was incredibly tough. It was a panel interview with 4 engineering managers that had not glanced at my resume prior to our meeting. If they had, they probably wouldn't have agreed to interview me because I was clearly not the ideal candidate for the job. All of their questions were formed from the content on my resume. Since they had not had a chance to read my resume, most of their questions were taken out of context. For example, since I just graduated with my bachelors degree, all of my Industrial Engineering experience has been through Internships; however they were asking me for examples of my work that would be expected from an engineer with two to three years of experience. At the part of the interview that I was able to ask questions, every inquiry was answered with a pompous response. Altogether, my experience could have been better had my preparation been better.

Interview Question – "What is your opinion on the American Auto Industry?"   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details – From the time I first applied online until I received an offer was about 35 days. Initial screening interview, technical phone interview, on-site interview (two sessions). Interviews are conversational and there isn't much preparation needed. Just know your resume and be able to share situational experience. Rcvd phone offer 4 days later

Interview Question – If you like to do many things like develop and lead and test, they will ask you to choose one. They will also ask you if there is anything that you hate to do. My hate was "write technical documentation" and the interviewer seemed to sympathize with me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I documented my requests for more base salary and they were all turned down. Basically, they give you a salary figure and you either take it or leave it. They say they will entertain requests, but I felt like they were just saying that because they came back very quickly with "no" to several different scenarios.