General Motors

Getting the Interview

271 candidate interviews

Agile Process Coach Interview

Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is easy because it is done at a department level. You'll get a response from HR and be interviewed by someone desperate to fill a job. Personality match the untrained interviewer and you are in.

Interview Question – None. Interviewer asked nothing relevant.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – GM does not negotiate. Offers are take it or leave it.

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Warren, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in October 2009.

Interview Details – I worked at General Motors Technical Center between 2004 and 2006. After that, I moved to another state. Last year I moved back. When I was contacted by a friend, who works in GM technical center, two months ago, and asked if i would like to work for him as a contractor. I accept the offer since it is really hard to find a full-time job in Detroit metro area.

Interview Question – No technical questions were asked.   Answer Question

Java/.NET Software Developer Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details – Started with 1 phone interview with a developer. The phone interview had a few Java basics questions, and the rest were behavioral questions. They contacted me the next day to set up an in-person interview.

The in-person interview was 2 hours long. The first interviewer was a (different) developer, and the second was the hiring manager. This interview was strictly behavioral. The questions in both interviews were almost identical.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you did something you regretted?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary they offered was much lower than industry standards. They would not negotiate.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Met with GM at a university career fair in 2013. After the initial approach I had two interview the next day with the recruiters that were on campus. First one was strictly behavioral and the second one was a mix of behavioral and very easy technical question on programming basics.

Interview Question – They were all very simple question. Like for example: write an algorithm that determines if a word is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low Offer

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst

I applied through college or university - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details – They came to Our college carrer fair. interview was totally based on STAR questionnaire Style.
 I have second Interview in a week ,

Interview Question – Explain the situation where you have issue with co _ workers   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – Got an interview through the career fair.
Did a 2:1 in-person pre-screen/interview with two of their current IT people. (tell me about a time....)
Got a call a couple weeks later asking to do a 1 hour phone interview. I was unable due to the fact I was interviewing with their competitor on-site that day.... Explained that to the lady on the phone whose response was, "Well we have plenty of other candidates..."

While I may not be the obviously best candidate, it really shows that GM hasn't truly turned a corner since we all pitched in to get them out of trouble. :)

Interview Question – Easy behavioral.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Motors in March 2009.

Interview Details – great

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – money

Agile Coach Interview

I applied online and interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – First communication was a quick chat with the recruiter to glean salary requirements and confirm interest. This was followed by a phone interview that was supposed to be technical in nature, but was more behavioral. The in person interview was a 45 minute talk about the company and two one hour behavioral interviews. At no point in any of the interviews was my knowledge of Agile assessed. I believe this is because they aren't really looking for Agile Coaches (what they call Agile is using the term loosely). They are looking more for process coaches or auditors. The benefits at GM seem great but the position seemed a bit on the boring side. I let them know I wasn't interested.

Interview Question – Very easy interview. Who knows what they're looking for in the behavioral responses but I suspect you could give standard BS behavioral responses and be fine.   Answer Question

Sculptor Interview

Interview Details – GM visited my school. I had submitted a portfolio and got an interview with them on campus. I haven't heard back since the interview.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working with cars?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for this position and no follow up