General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

2 interviews. One at ASU where I found the job. and the second in Chandler. Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do? Very nice office great benefits. 3000$ car credit. 3 weeks vacation time. good 401k plan tuition reimbursement after 3 years.

Interview Questions

• Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

A 1-to-1 behavior interview over the phone. It's following the STAR approach typically used in behavior interviews. You need to give examples for each questions they asked. The interview lasted about an hour long.

Engineer Interview

Interview

On Campus Interview. This was an initial behavioral interview with two company representatives. Questions were typical STAR format and were clearly standardized. Interviewers took notes on responses. This interview led to an additional interview with hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all typical "Tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Excellent work culture. Hiring is done through a day long interview with multiple leaders and a technical presentation to the relevant team. Interview is well thought out, carried out with certain amount of respect and dignity. The interview s relate to your ability and preparedness to carry to certain tasks and certainly not to check your bookish knowledge. Quite friendly atmosphere. Lots of background pre-interview collection of data is done.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online and it hardly took couple of business days to get a call from HR, I was asked the routine questions like if I was willing to relocate, why was I looking for a change, what I was earning at my current job e.t.c and finally what I was expecting...and they said what I requested was in the pa range and they arranged me with an telephonic interview. I get this call and before the interviewer gets technical he explains as to what he is looking for in the potential hire. In the technical round I was asked all sorts of questions starting from basic to all the way to the architect level..was not very sure as to why I was asked architect/Lead level questions for a "Senior Developer" position? I thought may be he was just trying to know me or something but it turned out the HR had submitted me to Lead position without even my knowledge. It would have been better on the HR part to submit for the position that I applied and this seems to me more intentional than accidental for reasons that I can suspect.

Interview Questions

• Questions that I was not expecting for the position that I have applied   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Got an on-site interview right off the bat. Interviewed with about 5 other DRE's and they all wanted to hire me. They asked about my past experiences and how it'll translate into my new role

Design Release Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

So far I had a phone interview after talking to a recruiter at a career fair. It consisted of four "Tell me about a time when..." questions. I now have an on sight interview scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you got results that were way greater than you expected.   Answer Question

PMO Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Worked with recruiter and with the manager of the team I was interviewing for. I have a very niche skills set, so it was fairly easy to get the job. First manager was really bad, got moved within the organization to a better leader.

Negotiation

Had to really work hard to get the salary I wanted. Went back and forth about 5 times.

Interview

Met the plant manager at a casting coference and was contacted later to see if I was interested in a job. Following the initial contact HR then approached me with a summer intern position. They offered a salary of $4800 a month plus provided a moving bonus as well as paying for a fully furnished apartment.

Interview Questions

• Did not formally interview went out to dinner with plant manager which could be viewed as an informal behavioral interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was non-negotiable as it is the standard rate for a graduate level intern position.

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Asked 3 questions and told me to elaborate on software I have developed. What was your greatest achievement? Etc what was your favorite class? What kind of java programs have you created? Very nice interviewer