General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.8

Market Research Interview

The hiring process involved two rounds with two interviews each round. The interviews were all behavior and fit questions. For the behavior interviews be sure to follow a STAR response

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions but be ready to outline your biggest professional challenge and a person weakness   Answer Question

BI Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

I never even interviewed. They saw my resume and gave me an offer. It was too easy. The college hiring at GM is on steroids. They are going to every university and picking up students even though the current employees don't have enough work.

No negotiation for college hires

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

They had two people interview me, it lasted around 2 hours. I believe it was 45 minutes for each individual and the last minutes left to ask questions. They had packets to with a ton of questions to ask me about, so that was the reason the interview took so long.

Interview Questions
    • It was most behavioral questions that focused on teamwork. They are looking for people that can work in a team. Most difficult question: "How did you deal with someone that was not doing their work? How did you handle the situation? What would you change?"   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at General Motors.

There were 3 rounds of interview. First round with the Lead , it was all about GD nT and my previous experience. 2nd round was with Manager , it was about engines . 3 red round was with HR , it was all about strength weeknesses and salary negotiation an.

Interview Questions
    • Which is the most difficult design , aerospace engine or automotive engine. Considering the fact that in an automotive engine combustion chamber volume changes and in aerospace engine it remains constant.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

GM has outsourced the candidate screening process and HR is still ironing out the bugs. The interview preparation instructions stated to record the responses to questions. HR was unsure of what to instruct candidates to bring a video or a typed presentation. The interviews were one hour sessions with the Global Program Manager and the Engineering Manager. The questions were STAR format behavioral focused.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a situation where a team member chooses not to participate in meetings?   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Offered an interview at the career fair. There is only a one step interview. The interviewer was very nice and friendly. We seemed to connect. The interview last about 30 mins and it was all behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had adversity with a acquaintance   Answer Question

Inbound Logistics Analyst Interview

The hiring process began on campus at a career fair. I spoke with a GM representative for 5-10 minutes one-on-one and she advised me to complete an online application. A couple of weeks after the career fair, I was invited to participate in an on campus interview. Two months after completing the on campus interview, I was invited to have a final interview at the GM Technical Center. After the final interview, I was made an offer over the phone first and then via email.

No negotiation phase.

BI Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview process took about 2 weeks from initial phone screening to on-site interview. Interview was behavioral focused (situations/actions/lessons learned) with technical questions thrown in at the end. Overall the interview process was quite easy.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't the questions so much, but the fact that for each area or behavior, there was a series of 3 questions that you could choose to answer. This made it difficult to keep the conversation flow as by the time you heard the third question; you'd then forgotten what the first option was.   Answer Question

Associate Software Developer Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Motors in November 2012.

I had two rounds of phone interviews. The first round, the interviewer was well-prepared, although the screening questions she asked were a bit odd.

The second round, the interviewer seemed rushed and was ill-prepared. There was no introduction (I didn't even know what he did at the company until I asked him at the end of the interview; yes, I had to ask him) and he didn't seem interested at all in my background. He asked a few SQL questions and a multithreaded question. The problem was he didn't understand much about multithreading. I gave a simple answer using synchronization and a counter, but he was surprisingly confused. Digging deeper it became clear that he had some canned question/answer and was looking for a solution that used wait() and notify() instead of sleep(), even though his solution wouldn't work.

One of the really strange issues was describing coding questions over the phone rather than using something like collabedit. I finished the interviews quickly and did very well, but they got back to me saying that while they were impressed, they were "moving forward with a select few candidates whose backgrounds are more closely aligned with our current needs". Overall, I can't help but wonder if I was simply used as interview training for their employees. The entire process took 3 days though, so I have to at least commend them for being so quick about it.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions themselves were rather odd. One was "what are the different scopes in Spring". Testing my ability to spout little-known facts isn't helpful to the process. A much better question would have been "what is Spring and why is it useful?" A solid engineer would be able to answer the second question, while anyone that can answer the first is simply good at memorizing things.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

My process started with a resume drop at a career fair, I actually missed the finance contact but was contacted for a phone interview with a recruiter a week later. I then had onsite interviews with 4 different Finance directors and had to complete a case study. Though the process may have changed slightly (i.e. multiple interviewers) the core of the process is roughly the same.

Interview Questions
    • Business case is usually shaped around some recent experience/project. Technical capabilities are expected but rational business sense should also be used   Answer Question