General Motors

2.8

QA/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johns Creek, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johns Creek, GA

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in October 2013.

Called me in the day before the interview. Had no time to prepare. Went in and was greeted by hr. Told us about bankruptcy and how they are bouncing back. Got a tour of the facility is an old ups building.

Got 2 interviewers back to back.
    Btw theyll ask you questions like if you could be anything and still make 100k dollars dont be fooled. Say the position that your going for.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest failure and how did you bounce back.

What Was a quick minute decision you made that went wrong

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Took about 4 weeks. I got met GM at a career fair. They scheduled an interview for the same day. and they only asked behavioral questions. About a week later I received a call and they scheduled a phone screen. Again, only behavioral questions. Then I received another call from HR. They said they want to give me an offer and I could choose between 3 locations. I had to wait few weeks to actually get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What type of people you don't like to work with?   View Answer

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Use of the Lominger Competencies. Interviews are done by mid-level mangers with a scripted interview guide available to applicants. The process is a bit lengthy and relies on the interviewee to answer questions starting with, "Tell us about a time when you.....". Some find this very difficult, especially if you have limited to no work experience. Everything is scored, lots of notes are taken, and you are interviewed by two sets of people who compare notes afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time wen you were given ambiguous direction by your supervisor and what you did to accomplish the task.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate but was not well-versed in it. Recommend learning how to negotiate salary.

Sales and Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview was fairly easy. Typical behavioral questions so have those answers ready. I was contacted about my offer exactly two weeks after my interview just liked they promised. The gentleman that I interviewed with was really bland and he didn't seem like he wanted to be there which made the environment a bit akward.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you tried something that didn't work. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Treasury Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

GM hires great talent in their treasury team and is a great place to build your career. Having said that the interview process is very technical. Expect to get asked detailed valuation questions as well as other corporate finance questions. One should prepare for this interview like a banking interview

Finance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Process took about 3 weeks. Visit them at multiple events and career fairs. Interviewed with them and the questions were pretty standard. Only one technical question. Very laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which something did not turn out how you planned.   Answer Question

Purchasing Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

30 minute phone interview- asked about my former job duties and why did I leave. Asked if I had worked for GM before; why would I want to work there; what do I under about the job that I applied for and what do I think about GM. After the phone interview they send your resume off to the hiring manager to see if he would want to interview you.

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Met recruiters through school career fair. Had a short (30m) interview the following day on campus. Basic behavioral questions - "why did you pick your school?"; "why computer science?"; "tell me about a time..." Many STAR interview type questions - recruiters interested in how you applied classroom knowledge. Had a second round interview which was effectively more of the first, also short, and also on campus. Got an offer about 2 weeks later.

Two weeks to accept offer. Still in process of negotiation, but I plan to accept regardless.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

Met recruiters at Career Fair and scheduled interview for the next day. Next day interview was composed of behavioral questions. At the end of this interview, I was told I would be invited back for a more technical interview, which we scheduled for the next day. This interview was much of the same thing, but included a simple technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you have failed, and what did you learn from this experience?   Answer Question

Their initial offer was lower than I could accept. The lack of organization going from interviews to offer was also a big red flag for me. They claim to be improving processes, but it seems as though they are throwing the cheapest bodies they can at problems.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in March 2010.

Job posting, application, telephone interview... Another "live" interview. Final, third, with hiring manager. One hour conversation about experience, practical knowledge and about how am I dealing with issues. Be prepared for the questions related to your job routine.

Interview Questions
    • why do you think to be the right person for this position? It's the common one but it brings tha main points.   Answer Question