General Motors Interview Questions

2.8

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Met General Motors through a college fair. They scheduled an interview with me a few days after. I was interviewed by two different people (one after another, separately). They went through my resume and asked me questions about my resume. They did not ask any technical questions at all during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • When did you ever not plan for something and had things go wrong? How did you fix it?   Answer Question

Senior Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

I applied twice online 100 days prior to my face-to-face interview. I received a call from a recruiter who set up a phone interview that lasted 1 hour. Then, I was called to the Roswell, GA "Innovation Center" for a video presentation, then back-to-back interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation where you had to react, and make amends. What did you learn from the situation.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

I initially found out about the opportunity to work for GM during a university job fair. It was one of the easier interview processes that I've been a part of. It was just a lot of situational questions. I only had one interview then I heard back several weeks later. The company seems to be trying to greatly expand their IT department over the next few years.

Software Developer Interview

Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at General Motors.

Through a recruiter at Aerotek I was contacted to go in for an interview with GM. I arrived at the GM headquarters in downtown and was lead to 17th floor after checking with the front desk. I was given a tour of where I would be working as I entered and exited. The questions they asked were simple and standard.

Java Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Got a call from Talent accusation team for initial screen. They ask for compensation I am expecting and explain their benefits structure. She told me that she will schedule interview with hiring manager. After a week call from hiring manager - 1 hr interview - All situational questions - He was writing everything you are saying. After 3 weeks call for face to face interview in Atlanta office - Interview with two hiring manger and written technical test. He told me written technical test is something new they have introduced recently.

No correspondence since then. Waiting for Yay or Nay.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions are all behavioral.
      Like things you didn't like about your ex-manager, why
      Describe project that you didn't want to work in but you have to and how did you cope
      Describe most challenging project you have worked for
      Describe situation where you change / influence team opinion about something
      Describe estimation process you have used to estimate task

Java Written Test
      - Write function to recursively calculate fibonacci series
      - Write function to reverse string
      - Write function to check is given string is palindrome
      - Write function to remove duplicates from sorted array

SQL
      Given a table of Employee and department with different fields

Write a query to show total employee count in each department
      Write a query to show all departments and list of employee in each departments
      Write a query to show list of department with more then 10 employee

I was surprised there was no technical interview for this position even though hiring manager told me that job requires 70% coding and 30% team leadership.
        Answer Question

Research and Development Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Had a prescreening at a University career fair. That was followed up by a one-hour phone-interview from Michigan. Was contacted about 3 weeks later via email from HR.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very behavioral based. Examples: (1a)Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new. (1b) What did you learn from this experience. (2a) What did you do in your field to stay up to date. (2b) (2b) What did you learn from this experience. (3a) Tell me about a time when you had to meet an unexpected deadline. (3b) What did you do, how did you react, and what did you learn from this experience. They also asked me about my interests and the type of groups that I would like to work with at GM.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Meet with HR for a 30 min review of benefits and overview of the company. Switched rooms and was interviewed by two lower level managers regarding my resume and past experience (this part of the process lasted 1 hour). After this section of the interview was over, two upper level managers entered the room and asked situation questions and a number of repetitive questions that were asked by the previous managers.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the situation questions were difficult to answer because of how general the question was.   Answer Question

I didn't feel the job was a good fit for me after the interview.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

It was very easy. They only did a 1st round interview at my schools career fair. About 4-5 weeks later I got a call with the job offer. I do not believe I was asked any technical questions. They're trying to get the overall IT department up to about 10,000 people. Right now we're at about 8,000. Unless you were with HP, IBM, Dell, or a previous contractor they only want college hires.

Interview Questions
    The money was more than expected, so I gladly accepted.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upper Darby, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upper Darby, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors.

I'd like a phone interview, then a one to one interview in person

It was for a telemarketing compny. No benefits since it was PT.