General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Met at career fair and the recruiter was very nice and easy to talk to. Was invited for an interview the next morning on campus. Interview isn't extremely hard but not easy either. They ask you 3 different situational questions and what you learned, how you reacted, etc about each situation.

Interview Questions

• The hardest for me was talking about a time when I had to learn on the fly   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Most commonly a face-to-face Targeted Interview process is used, typically with two interviewers from the function participating. Two or three rounds are to be expected: the first by a Human Resources business partner, the second by potential supervisor and trusted adviser, sometimes a third by would-be peers. If you are a top candidate, a brief 10 min chat with the functional executive may take place to ensure internal alignment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to go really out of the ordinary to salvage it: what did you do, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much negotiation scope; folks do not have much room to play with.

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and received an email and phone call within 1 day.
    Interviews:
    - Phone screen with the lead recruiter.
    - Phone screen with another recruiter.
    - Phone interview with team lead.
    - Phone interview with hiring manager.
    - Phone interview with senior manager.

This interviews seemed to go well. I was requested to come in for an in-person interview. Out of the blue this was cancelled with no explanation.

Overall, the entire process and communication seemed dis-jointed.

Interview Questions

• When was one time that you had deliver bad news and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen on December 11th. After the holidays, they followed up and scheduled a second phone interview with two team members on January 9th.

They were both very human-voiced interviews, with mostly behavior-based questions.

Following the second interview we exchanged a couple of E-mails, but now there's been radio silence for several weeks. Disappointing that they would treat a candidate this way.

Update: After another week, the hiring manager finally responded my previous E-mail, and the process is moving forward. Still not sure what the outcome will be. HR contacted me, as well, and the primary focus was on compensation. He actually asked me, "what's your bottom line?"

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to give someone bad news.   1 Answer

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lordstown, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at General Motors (Lordstown, OH).

Interview

Pass a drug test. That's literally all you have to do. Some people got by that. There is a simple skills test, but it's nothing major. There is a small personality test although I couldn't imagine anyone failing. I think most of the process is to make sure you are capable of respecting other people's rights and showing up to work on time every day. I imagine the older people there didn't take any tests like that so they are often difficult to deal with for everyone.

Interview Questions

• Referral most likely needed   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Their way or the highway.

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Asked 3 questions and told me to elaborate on software I have developed. What was your greatest achievement? Etc what was your favorite class? What kind of java programs have you created? Very nice interviewer

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

It was a very friendly and casual interview. All of the questions asked were in the STAR format. The only step in the interview process was an approximately 30 minute phone interview.

Change of major

Validation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in December 2014.

Interview

Met through a campus recruiter. After months, and far past when my peers got interviews, I got a phone call to verify my availability. Waiting a few more weeks to hear back and they decided to fly me out. Picked me up, took my to the hotel and the next day, from the hotel to the interview. Waited in the lobby for a while until someone came and got me and informed me that they had forgotten about my presence there. The interview consisted of two candidates and two interviewers. Interviews lasted one hour with each interviewer and all questions were based on the STAR method.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in December 2014.

Interview

GM has outsourced the candidate screening process and HR is still ironing out the bugs. The interview preparation instructions stated to record the responses to questions. HR was unsure of what to instruct candidates to bring a video or a typed presentation. The interviews were one hour sessions with the Global Program Manager and the Engineering Manager. The questions were STAR format behavioral focused.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation where a team member chooses not to participate in meetings?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

On Campus (University) interview process. Very straightforward process with many behavioral questions. Asked about previous projects, interests in GM, why GM etc. Asked to describe projects and how they relate to work at GM. Interviews all done using the STAR method. Initial stage was something of a screening step, then asked to interview with managers. Managers conduct the interview and describe the STAR method. They even provide a rubric. The managers are quite nice, very straight forward and helpful throughout the process.