General Motors Interview Questions

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in May 2013.

I was hired because of referral, interview is mostly behavioral, bunch of HR type questions - prepare stories about how you approached an issue, how you took initiative, how you solved something, show that you are technical and also good at communication/team work etc

Interview Questions
    • tell us about someone's performance feedback when you dont think of them much
      tell us about a time when you were given and assignment where you either fix it or give up in some fixed amount of time
        Answer Question
    everything is negotiable, do get it in writing
    they bargain like fish-market, be prepared to say NO
    the hr is outsourced, and will go back on their word

Software Developer Interview

Initial communication began at university career fair. Was non-aggressively approached by one of the recruiters. Had a wide range of positions and locations available. Offered interview after review of resume. Planned by reviewing basics of company, including stock price, etc. Went through one interview. Very pleasant experience. No technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer to work in a team environment or individually?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

two interviews, nice lady, followed the Star method of interviewing.

Finance Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in December 2010.

Friend gave resume to hiring manager, was the contacted by hiring manager to come to Ren Cen for interviews. Standard situational type questions with hiring manager, and then his manager. Final step was to come back once more to meet CFO of group. The next day was contacted by HR with offer. Except that this took place before and after Christmas holiday, process would have been completed within 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Asked specific question about approval process at company was leaving   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate, I told them what I wanted

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

It is a behavioral interview which means they are looking for you to explain situations where you overcame adversity. There is no white boarding or in depth technical review but there was high level discussion of the technologies they are looking for. The main goal seems to be testing how well I worked with others. During the interview I first meet with a developer, and then a PM. The interview concluded with a very brief meeting with the director for that area.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to report something negative about a coworker.   View Answer
    Me: I want more money; Them: No; Me: I really want more money; Them: how a about a small bump in the offer and a signing bonus. Me: ok!

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at General Motors.

Through a recruiter at Aerotek I was contacted to go in for an interview with GM. I arrived at the GM headquarters in downtown and was lead to 17th floor after checking with the front desk. I was given a tour of where I would be working as I entered and exited. The questions they asked were simple and standard.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Upper Darby, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upper Darby, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at General Motors.

I'd like a phone interview, then a one to one interview in person

It was for a telemarketing compny. No benefits since it was PT.

Senior Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warren, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in June 2013.

FAST-By all accounts! Applied online on 6/6/2013. Within an hour after I applied, I was contacted for a phone screen. We walked through my resume, typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary. We talked salary. Then I was advised of a hiring event in Warren on 6/29. Then I was contact about 2 weeks later that I would be interviewing. Among my best interview performance of my life! I was made an offer the following Monday.

None. GM typically does not negotiate. Whatever the $$number was pre-interview is what they will offer. I have heard twice where an applicant mentioned another employer offer as way to negotiate, & GM declined. I pushed the phone interview person hard to max my number.

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warren, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in January 2013.

Lominger Interview process used for new hires

Interview Questions
    • Tell me time when you disagreed with your management and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    Typical HR hiring process used by large companies

Laborer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at General Motors in January 2010.

Very formal. Interview lasted one hour. Asked about physical demands of job, if I could manage. Told of overtime.

No nego.