General Motors

General Motors Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Ingersoll, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in January 2012.

Interview Details – Initially I was required to send my resume, cover letter and transcript. I received the interview call through my University (UOIT) as well and the interview was on campus as well. The interview was about an hour with a two person panel. Several questions were asked relative to resume experience. Some of the behavioral questions were also crafted from the resume. No technical or as such difficult questions were asked.

Interview Question – The interview was mostly behavioral questions, with cliche questions like, what would you do if you are assigned with multiple tasks and What relative experience and skills do you have for this position.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in July 2010.

Interview Details – There is a phone interview last one hour. They asked my background.

Interview Question – The project I did before   Answer Question

Pontiac, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at General Motors in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initially, I was contacted by a hiring manager and asked a series of background and employment eligibility questions. Later, I had two interviews with engineering managers in various groups. The interview questions were largely behavioral/situational in nature. I was offered a position the following week. Both a hiring manager and engineering group manager contacted me the same week.

Interview Question – Name a situation where you made a decision that you later regretted.   View Answer

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details – I interviewed for the powertrain engineering position at the powertrain facility in Pontiac. There was a phone interview then they flew me into Michigan for the second interview. Both interviews were more behavioral than technical, which seemed odd. The second round interviews were with two different managers, both were about an hour long.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had to work with someone who was not of the same culture/country   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details – It was fairly easy interview. HR round was a cake walk. Technical round involved 3 levels with third being toughest. They asked me indepth knowledge of IC engines.

Interview Question – IC engines complicated real time problems.   Answer Question

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!